Dr. Robert Nagourney MD Patient Reviews

• Medical Oncology Long Beach, CA

August 18th, 2011
Outstanding doctor, scientist and human
Unfortunately, my brother was beyond hope when he saw Dr. Nagourney. He had advanced neck cancer that surgery, chemo and radiation therapy failed to cure. So we went to Dr. Nagourney to see what he could offer. Due to the cancer position and the open wound, Dr. Nagourney felt they couldn't take a biopsy for his testing. So he prescribed chemo therapy the old fashioned way--he used his knowledge of cancer and picked a few easy to tolerate, older chemo agents. These chemo agents bought my brother several months of relief before he died. I and my family are eternally grateful for the extra time.I highly recommend Dr. Nagourney.

March 18th, 2010
Scientist and Clinical Oncologist - Sensitive and Caring
I feel lucky to have Dr. Nagourney as my doctor. He is a sensitive and caring person, a scientist as well as clinical oncologist, and he is the doctor I would want to treat my family and friends.It is significant that many of Dr. Nagourney's patients were referred to him by their friends, but it is also compelling to realize how many of his patients have far exceeded their original prognosis and are living normal and productive lives with cancer.What is most important to people like me, however, to people who have inoperable metastatic cancers and are facing the need for ongoing chemotherapy, is that Dr. Nagourney has pioneered and developed a series of tests that can accurately predict the behavior of his patient's cancer cells in the presence of the multiplicity of FDA-approved chemotherapy drugs. This functional analysis of each of our individual cancer cells in their natural state (not cloned in a test tube) enables him to know with a high level of assurance which drugs actually kill our cancer cells and which ones do not. So before I started chemotherapy Dr. Nagourney knew which drugs were best at killing my particular cancer, and those were the drugs he prescribed. Because the best drugs work as little as 30% of the time, only 30 of every 100 cancer patients can be expected to respond to a standard chemotherapy regimen. What that says to me is that following standard protocols, 70% of chemotherapy patients will be given drugs that have little or no chance of working! Perhaps this is one reason there has been no significant improvement in overall survival for most cancers in the past 40 years. Dr. Nagourney has bettered those odds for his patients. And as a bonus, because his patients are exposed to fewer toxins, we have fewer and milder side effects and are often able to go on living our lives much as we did before cancer -- even while we are taking chemotherapy. When you walk into Dr. Nagourney's office at Rational Therapeutics you'll see a sign - Hope Practiced Here - It is the best indicator I know of the character and perspective of Dr. Nagourney and his staff.

February 3rd, 2010
My wife's oncologist
Highly knowledgeable and has a very effective tissue test to determine the proper combination of drugs to cause cell death of cancer cells. He may not be taking new patients, but he consults with other physicians as to the proper treatment.

January 29th, 2010
The Right Way to Treat Cancer
We arrived at Dr. Nagourney's office after being told by others that I had a limited time to live. It has been more than a year since Dr. Nagourney performed a chemosensitivity test on my stage 4 uterine cancer tumor. At that time my cancer tumor marker was approaching 500. The results of the chemosensitivity test was discussed with me in a manner which I understood. We commenced treatment and are pleased to report that my tumor marker is 5 and there is no evidence of disease. Dr. Nagourney is a scientist/oncologist, a gentleman and a tribute to his profession. I give thanks for my life to Dr. Nagourney everyday!

October 16th, 2009
I am a ten year survivor of small cell lung cancer.Dr. Nagourney's assay directed thereapy saved my life

May 14th, 2009
Assay directed theraphy
I have seen and met people personally that are in full remission after many, many years from his assays and treatment!

April 10th, 2009
Exceptional Care
Dr. Nagourney was very informative and his bedside manner was outstanding. I received exceptional care. My treatement for ovarian cancer has been positive with the hopes of complete cure. The best docter I have ever had...and I'm a RN.