Dr. Robert Penney MD, FACOG Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

June 2nd, 2017
Best gyno ever.
Patient, caring, professional! Highly recommended.

April 20th, 2016
Hysterectomy via - Robotic surgery
Because of Dr Penney, my surgery went beautifully. I was doubtful before the surgery and he tried to put my mind at ease about the surgery and the recovery time. Beside the time spent with me in his office, the day of the surgery, he sat down with me and my daughters and explained everything to me and them about what he was going to do and the importance of doing it. I know we all felt so much better about the surgery and he was right on the money. He told me that the recovery time would be minimal as was the pain. No restrictions after the surgery but I did take a week to take care of myself. I was back to work in 10 days, something totally unheard of in years past. Thank God for Dr, Penney's skills and the good Lord who guides him every day. I will definitely recommend Dr. Penney to anyone who does need surgery in the future.

November 20th, 2015
Poor attitude
When he first started practicing, he seemed interested in his patients and was concerned and pleasant. I remember years ago, he told me he didn't want to work past 50 because it was getting to be too much already. Here it is 16 years later, he is still practicing and his attitude is condescending and nasty. I still go to the practice...I just won't see him!

June 5th, 2015
Dr. Penney is absolutely horrible. He is responsible for my son's preterm delivery and subsequent severe disabilities. how this man is still in practice is beyond me.

October 15th, 2013
a little peculiar, but his heart is in the right place
first of all, i must admit i really don't like to chat while having routine exams. another doc in this practice talked so much, it kind of turned me off. i'm not going to make longlasting friends or have strange men intrude on my privacy. personal questions, this and that, small talk on and on doesn't make me really happy. so i changed over to dr penney. he's a bit eccentric and prone to good and bad moods. i have seen him a couple of times and he's always been a gentleman, cool and not over intrusive. i give him a big thumbs up for that. he does talk a little, just to be personable and make you feel like you're important and that your opinions matter. i wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to others although i am past menopause and have had my babies w/other doctors in middlesex county. but truly an A for effort.

January 29th, 2013
Sad But True
I always wait between 1 & 2 hours for my exam. He recently told me and other patients (my friends go to him too) that we absolutely must get BOTOX as he provides this service now. I could not believe what I was hearing. I advised him that my husband and I are fine with using condoms as contraceptives - but he insisted on urging me to get my tubes tied which I will never do. Nor will I get BOTOX. Really doctor...are you for real?? You must be having money issues. I saw the disappointment in your face that I am relatively young and healthy so you can't make much $ from me. You give doctors a bad name.

August 16th, 2011
Horrible bedside manner
I highly discourage anyone from using this doctor. He always appears to be in a rush and very rarely listens to any concerns I have. The other doctors in the practice are very caring and attentive.

July 16th, 2009
Terrible Birth Experience
My prenatal visits with Dr. Penney were actually quite good, one day he actually spent almost a half an hour extra talking to me about birth, epidurals, episiotomies. The only warning was that when he did a cervical check at the end of my pregnancy, it was incredibly painful, and whenever the other doctors in the practice performed the same check, it was unpleasant, but most definitely not painful.I was scheduled for an induction at 8 days overdue, which Dr. Penney was over an hour and a half late to. He inserted cervidil to begin the induction, which was painful. He also seemed to be annoyed, like he would rather not be working on the weekend. My labor continued through the next day, and I say him two more times before active labor: to start pitocin, and to break my water. I can honestly say, the only time I cried out in labor was when he examined me. In fact, when the nurse examined me (she was amazing) she comforted me by telling me she wouldn't hurt me like he did.I had back labor, and pushed for 1.5 hours, and the nurse kept running out to talk to Dr. Penney. We kept asking where he was, she came back and said the Giants were in overtime, and he would be in when it was over. I'm not kidding. My husband later said he thought this might have been a joke, but it's probably the least funny joke I've ever heard.Finally, Dr. Penney came in, again, looking bored and annoyed. He told me he could "get this all over in one push" if I let him use forceps. I agreed. What happened next is up for debate. My husband swears he watched Dr. Penney perform an episiotomy, but he never told me he was doing so. He then used forceps to remove my son.Dr. Penney then spent a good amount of time stitching me up, and scolding the nurse, saying he didn't like how much I was bleeding. I was given a shot in my leg to stop the bleeding, but no one talked to me about it, they talked to each other. Before he left he congratulated me, but told me I had a tear. When I was taken to Maternity from labor and delivery, I found out when I was listening to the nurses changing shifts, that I had a 4th degree tear. No one told me what that meant. I had to go home and google it. I had a terrible, terrible recovery. At 5 months postpartum I had to have surgery to correct scar tissue buildup, and whenever I have an exam, the gyno asked me if I experienced some kind of trauma.I have changed practices, and would never advise anyone to go to Dr. Penney. At my 6 week checkup he did take time to explain my injuries, but that was too little too late. If he hadn't been in such a hurry to get back to Sunday football, maybe we could have avoided the forceps, and I wouldn't have permanent damage. He did helpfully suggest vaginal rejuvination surgery which would "make me as tight as a teenager."

June 10th, 2009
I was 18 weeks pregnant and was having extreme pain. I thought I was in preterm labor. Dr. Penney met me at the ER (on a Sunday morning)and called in a surgeon he trusted. They figured it was my appendix and the surgeon removed it at 7pm that night. I was in the ER all day and so was Dr. Penney. He stayed for the whole surgery as well to make sure everything was ok. Not many Drs stick around after a surgeon takes over, especially not on a Sunday. He was also the one who delivered my son at 40wks. He knows his stuff and doesn't tip-toe around the facts. I liked that.

August 13th, 2008
Numerous Bad Experiences
My regular doctor is Dr. Conely but when you are having a baby you have to see all the doctors in the practice. Dr. Penny is horrible. I got stuck with him for my 1st daughters delivery. He came in the room when he got to the hospital and I didn't see him again for 7 hours. I pushed for 4 hours without him even looking in on me. Then with my second child I went in to the office because I was bleeding a little bit. He sent me home and back to work. He told me everything was fine. My daughter delivered that night 10 weeks early. Thanks Dr. Penny.

August 4th, 2017