Overall Review

2.4

June 21st, 2015
THIS PHYSICIAN SHOULD HAVE HIS LICENSE REVOKED. HIS INEPTITUDE LEFT ME WITHOUT A SPLEEN AND WITH SEVERE LUNG DAMAGE.

April 6th, 2015
Try a local Veterinarian first
Quite possibly the worst doctor ever..... period. Need a no star category.

March 28th, 2014
his surgeries resulted in the loss of my spleen and my lung function
I went through 2 hiatal hernia surgeries with Dr. Rout. The first one, approx. 11 years ago, came apart and my spleen was cut by mistake and had to be removed. The redo 10 years ago was too tight and has resulted in micro aspiration of food and severe lung damage. I signed a paper after the 1st surgery that Dr. Rout had to do the redo himself .As I was being anesthetized Dr. Rout came in with the paper in hand and said" what is this ! This is a teaching hospital and my students hands will be in your body and if you don.t like that get out of here .

August 8th, 2013
If I could give zero stars, I would...
To say this doctor has HORRIBLE bedside manner would be the understatement of the century. I am a 34 year old man who was injured (documented!) in a work accident several years ago, and have been unemployed due to the injuries since that time. Following an accident, I went to Shands Emergency room and was admitted to the hospital for nine days. When I was released, I was given an appointment with this physician. He came in with a chip on his shoulder, and before he even met me, he had decided I must be a drug-seeking, IV drug using thug simply because I was indigent. I felt emotionally VIOLATED by this doctor and his attitude. Without even looking at the records from my hospital stay, and without having any access to my medical records, he basically told me that everything every specialist had previously diagnosed was wrong, that the pain and nerve damage I've been feeling is all in my head. Other complaints: he was almost two hours late for the appointment. While waiting, I went to use the restroom, I saw him sitting at his computer playing Spider Cell Solitaire. He threatened to call the court where I have a case pending for disability (complete with about 400 pages of medical documentation) and try to get my case thrown out. He made anti-Muslim comments about some of the physicians I had seen in the past. This man shouldn't be allowed near another human being, let alone be given the power to determine someone's medical care. The nurses and physician tried to warn me that he was "grouchy." That's pretty much like calling Joseph Stalin "a little mean."

October 2nd, 2011
Dealt with all issues directly and without unnecessary avoidance of side issues.

January 27th, 2011
He only saw me once after small bowel resection surgery in the hospital. And sent interns instead who discharged me with a bowel obstruction. obviously he wasn't supervising them, and didn't do his job. I spent the next month in a different hospital recovering from his care.

November 14th, 2010
Very bad bedside manner. Extremely unprofessional. Only stayed with him because we were told, by residents and doctors of Shands, that he was head of colorectal surgery & that people come from all over the world to be treated by him. He left turning us back over to GI services with worse problems than I started with. Don't know where he is now or what he is doing. Get a different story from all professionals and employees at Shands.