Ophthalmologists

240 Newport Center Dr
Ste 105
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-2450
Locations and availability (2)

1.5

|  Bedside Manner  |  show details
by Laura P. on Dec 12th, 2013

Dr. Ruper is disrespectful and arrogant. After playfully hitting my wheelchair bound 84 year old mother on the side of the head with her file as a joke, we went into the exam room where he proceeded to rub her shoulders, neck, and her cheek in a "friendly" manner. When she complained that he was hurting her while running the eye pressure test, he began forcefully telling her it didn't hurt, and grabbing the back of her head and shoving it back into the machine. I told him don't dare speak to her that way - without turning around, he stated that she doesn't know anything and she's screwed up in the head! I put her back in her wheelchair and we never returned. I'm now in the process of reporting him to every relevant agency I can find.

|  Very Bad Experience  |  show details
by Sally arden on Jun 26th, 2013

I was referred to Dr. Ruper by a friend who described Dr. Ruper as an expert in eye care. I made an appointment for a ptygerium surgery. I was surprised that when I signed in at the front office, contrary to HIPPA regulations, each patients's name was displayed. I did have an initial exam with an employee that went well. I then sat, and sat, and waited for close to an hour, with my pupils dilated, to see Dr. Ruper. I listened to him speaking to other patients, and heard him so often I could pick out the 'canned speech' he would give to people. finally, after waiting in a darkened room by myself, he bustled in and said the same tired thing I had heard him say to others. "Let's get this over and go to lunch." He did not intorduce himself, spend even a moment saying hello, but aimed the light at me, grabbed my chin to pull my head around to the best position and was astonishingly gruff. I had been at his office for close to 2 hours by this point, and his rough manner and rough handling did not get the exam off well. I asked him to stop, to let me get accustomed to him and the room, etc. He proceeded with the 'exam.' I was so upset by this point, and tired, I got off the table and walked out of the room. He made no attempt to stop me, call out to me, or in any way prevent me from leaving the clinic with my eyes dilated. I get into my car and drove off, This was not a good decision on my part. I was not safe to drive and I have since wondered what liability he would have incurred if I had been in a car accident, leaving his clinic with my pupils dilated. No one from his office ever called or contacted me after this debacle. I am still astonished at the overt lack of professional behavior, the disregard for HIPPA regulations regarding patient confidentiality and the lack of concern for my safety. I have had much better treatment from veterinarians when treating my pets. I normally never write a bad review, as they can be damaging to a small business person's reputation. However, when I saw Dr. Rupert's name as I was looking up the address for an eye surgeon I will see tomorrow, I decided to write this. The glowing reviews written by others are no doubt sincere; so is mine. Dr. Rupert didn't seem to care about me, my physical safety or even the barest bit of professional behavior. I have remembered this visit with distate for over a year now. All it would have taken for Dr. Rupert to have avoided this upset was a phone call, from his staff, asking about me and apologizing. Even if he was not sincere in the apology, a staff member telling me this and asking me to come back would have made a good friend of me. Apologies are an easy way for people to smooth things over and keep patient relations cordia. I would not recommend that anyone go to this Doctor.