Physiatrist (physical, rehabilitation), Pain Management Specialist

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Ms show details Ms
by Holly Howe on Sep 14th, 2016

I have been seeing Dr Millard on and off since 1994. He has consistently been kind and caring. Most importantly he is an excellent physician. I have had a several herniated disks which have degenerated over the past 20 years and Dr Millard has helped with pain management and surgery referrals. Everyone I have referred has been helped by his skill and expertise

Best doctor ever! show details Best doctor ever!
by JG on Aug 1st, 2016

Dr. Millard has been my doctor for many years and has treated me for bulging disks since the late 1990's. As a competitive athlete, I give him all the credit for keeping me active in the sports I love. After seeing several doctors over a span of several frustrating months, he was the only one who gave me the correct diagnosis based on the same X-rays and MRIs that the other doctors evaluated. Due to his incredible expertise, experience, and knowledge, he kept me from almost certain back surgery. I first went to see Dr. Millard when I was racing marathons. The back injury was devastating to me since I had a big marathon goal. He got me back racing marathons, then triathlons and bike racing. Throughout all my athletic endeavors, he was there to get me back doing what was very important to me. I have been able to run, ride, and swim for the last 14 years with no back issues at all thanks to him. If in the future I do end up having another disk issue, I know I am in awesome hands. Dr. Millard is very kind and has the goal of getting you back to what you love to do. As a serious athlete himself, he understands the passion of athletes and will do everything he can for you. Most importantly, he truly, truly cares. If you are an athlete, want to get back to your sport, or just want to be out of pain due to a spine issue, I recommend him even beyond the 5 stars!

by Josie on Apr 18th, 2016

With my right leg trailing behind me and surgery on the horizon, I was referred to Dr Millard. With my MRI in hand, he carefully assessed my situation, I had a herniated L5-S1, and compressed nerve. After two epidurals my second MRI, only 6 months later, showed significant improvement. A year later I am back on my bike and lifting at the gym. Dr Millard is an excellent physician, follow his advice and guidance and you will have the best outcome possible for your situation.

Dr. Michangelo, a true artist at his craft show details Dr. Michangelo, a true artist at his craft
by MLM on Mar 31st, 2016

I was suffering from severe sciatica before I was treated by Dr. Millard. I was referred to him by a close friend who happens to be a physical therapist. He came highly recommended, to say the least. During my first visit , he made me feel immediately comfortable and at ease. He is personable, knowledgeable and kind. He reviewed my MRI findings with me in detail and laid out a plan to rid me of my severe pain. He stated that I most likely I would not need surgery but would benefit greatly from a painlessly performed spinal procedure performed by him under fluoroscopic guidance. His recommended procedure eliminated my pain and has allowed me to return to my normal active lifestyle. I can not recommend a doctor more highly!! The fact that he has served as a team physician for both the SF 49ers and SJ Sharks speaks to his skill level. He treats his private practice patients with the same level of skill and urgency.

Dr. Millard is absolutely the BEST show details Dr. Millard is absolutely the BEST
by Neil Hedricks on Feb 10th, 2016

I can't say enough about Dr. Millard. He has great expertise, an excellent manner, favors limited treatment where possible as opposed to surgery, and has extraordinary abilities in the area of spinal injections as treatment to combat inflammation.

Oct 16th, 2015

Dr. Millard goes above and beyond! He acts like I am the only patient, and is very caring. He is knowledgeable, accurate in a diagnosis and gives me several options of treatment. I have many Doctors, and he is a true one of a kind. He explains every diagnosis, sits with me through a detailed report of MRI's and explains as he goes/

He's the Best show details He's the Best
by Colin Kemp on Aug 25th, 2015

Dr. Millard is, quite simply, the best--that is, if you want a smart, attentive, patient-focused and athletic physician (not to mention a great staff). Notwithstanding an active/busy lifestyle, I am extremely conservative about treatments of my back/neck issues, and Mr. Millard has consistently offered conservative, effective approaches, while also helping me stay in the pool, on the ski slopes and so on. I highly recommend him as your first choice; or, perhaps more importantly, if you have any doubts about your current treatments, you should see him for a second opinion. To the extent it matters to your evaluation: I have seen Dr. Millard over the years for two main problems: a lower back problem (L4-5 facet joint syndrome) and, more recently, several C7-8 disc problems. The latter issue is proving to be more difficult that the lower back problem, but Dr. Millard is doing a terrific job with treatments (PT, cortisone) and I'm maintaining an active schedule. Good luck,

by JMW on Aug 21st, 2015

I went to 3 other specialists before I met Dr. Millard and was the first one to actually help me instead of want to prescribe pain pills. He is very empathetic, professional and all around "spot on." He helped me tremendously with both my neck and lower back pain. I highly recommend him and the staff at SOAR

Superb, caring physician show details Superb, caring physician
by Sue Brauner on Jun 19th, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Millard for about 20 years. I have always found him to be patient, caring and extremely skilled at what he does. He is dedicated to helping his patients get well and takes a conservative approach which I very much appreciate. Most recently, he has helped me successfully defer having surgery by pinpointing the source of my pain and treating it with cortisone. I highly recommend him.

The Best Doctor that I have ever seen show details The Best Doctor that I have ever seen
by Doug M. on May 27th, 2015

I treated with Dr. MILLARD for an acute lumbar disc herniation. I was in severe pain with calve weakness. He cured my symptoms with therapeutic exercise prescription and a lumbar epidural procedure. I have been pain free ever since! As mentioned by other reviewers, he shows his respect for his patients by always running on time and being completely engaged during office visits. He is truly gifted in providing optimal patient care. I highly recommend Dr Millard without reservation.

by Niki on Apr 20th, 2015

After dealing with my lower back pain for a year I had given up on any treatment until my visit with Dr. Millard. His epidural injections were a miracle for me. I am now able to walk, sit and lift like I used but paying attention of importance of how you do things. I am not on any pain medication and I am hoping this will last a long time.

Best Spine MD show details Best Spine MD
Mar 16th, 2015

Dr Millard is special and makes his patients feel the same. He is exact and precise with diagnosis and exudes confidence that he knows the best treatment for what ails you. He presents his recommendation of treatment but also provides other options. As a result, I felt completely informed and able to take an active role in my own well being. He has treated me for both cervical and lumbar injuries. I found him to always be positive and upbeat during office visits which no doubt helps with his exceptional patient outcomes. He obviously loves what he does for a living! He has completely resolved both my issues with epidural procedures. I am now pain free and rely only on prescribed exercises learned in PT and through my rehab discussions with Dr M. He is extremely knowledgeable, compassionate and engaged. He is all about improving his patient's quality of life. I have recommended him without reservation to all my family and friends with spine injuries. He is the best!

by Lisa Aguirre on Dec 14th, 2014

He for sure saw beyond my pain and convinced me that he really cared. The doctor asks you how you are, and most accept what you say. Dr. Mallard let me know that he knew I was in a lot more pain than I said, or was showing. He made it very easy to follow the doctors orders after that. Its a wonderful feeling to know that your doctor really cares about your well being, besides spending time talking to you and trying to know you. The bonus was that he exactly knew how to take care of me!

Confident and Competent Care show details Confident and Competent Care
by Happy NHL Shark on Jun 26th, 2014

Dr. Millard is extraordinary! I came to the Sharks after playing for several other teams. My problem was misdiagnosed by the other teams physicians and my condition and pain therefore never improved. I was evaluated by Dr Millard when I joined the Sharks and he immediately made the right diagnosis and implemented a spine procedure which has eliminated my pain for the first time in years. I will be forever grateful for his great care!

THE BEST!! show details THE BEST!!
Mar 6th, 2014

After consulting with several surgeons, all of whom recommended surgery to address my lumbar herniation, my physical therapist and several friends referred me to Dr. Millard. During my visit with him, he thoroughly performed a physical exam and went over my MRI in detail. He stated that I most likely would not require surgery and instead recommended an epidural procedure. Thanks to his expertise I am pain free and back to my active lifestyle. I can not thank him enough or recommend any doctor more highly. He represents all the right qualities that a patient could ask for in their doctor: Intelligent, kind,courteous and incredibly skilled!!!

Phenomenal Doctor show details Phenomenal Doctor
by Charles P. Stone on Feb 13th, 2014

As someone who has endured back pain on and off for years and treated with many doctors, I am grateful I found Dr. Millard. I was referred to him by a friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner and had treated with him for her own back problems. Dr. Millard is positive, upbeat, and results oriented. He recommended epidural spinal injections and a rigorous course of PT. He thoroughly explained my condition, my options, and what my expectations should be for each option. After two rounds of injections and PT, I am a new man. I no longer live with constant, nagging pain and the effects that pain had on my disposition and energy level. I highly recommend Dr. Millard to anyone with back trouble.

Back Pain Relief show details Back Pain Relief
by Michael on Apr 16th, 2013

If you have back pain or need an expert opinion Please go see Dr. Millard. He has changed my life :) Always listens to the patient and is the best at what he does!

CLASS ACT show details CLASS ACT
Mar 11th, 2013

Intelligent, skilled, conscientious and caring. Dr. Millard took the time to explain my problem and his recommended course of treatment. Also took the time to discuss alternatives to his treatment plan. Fully reviewed my MRI findings and then performed a remarkably painless spinal procedure. Thanks to Dr. Millard's accurate diagnosis and precise treatment, I am painfree and extremely active, including my daily stabilization exercise. I would highly recommend Dr Millard!

Dr. Millard is the an Amazing Doctor! show details Dr. Millard is the an Amazing Doctor!
Sep 13th, 2012

I have seen many useless doctors in my time. I was introduced to Dr. Millard and "Wow" is all I can say! This guy knows his stuff when it comes to back pain. I feel that he cares about the well being of his patients. He is very attentive and really listens to you when you describe your problems to him during your visit. He takes the time to sit down and explain his findings from the MRI or CT scans. He asks for your input regarding your treatment. He's not some "pill pusher" that pushes you out the door in under 2 mins. He wants to include you in the entire process of getting you back to good health. This man is a miracle worker that knows his business. I don't know if any of you heard that he was once a professional model and appeared in GQ and Men's Health among other magazines over the years. This man takes pride in his appearance and doesn't let his professional status give him a big head. Dr. Millard is caring,professional,an expert in his field. The fact that he is a very handsome man is a plus!

Compassionate, Skilled Physician show details Compassionate, Skilled Physician
Jun 15th, 2012

Great Doctor. I was in severe pain. On my initial visit he was extremely caring. He made the right diagnosis which was confirmed by the MRI which he ordered. Dr. Millard then recommended an epidural procedure which eliminated my pain. I have remained pain free with ongoing exercise that I learned from physical therapy prescribed by him. I will be forever grateful for Dr. Millard's expertise and care. He is the best!

Great Doctor! show details Great Doctor!
Jan 14th, 2012

Dr. Millard is a great doctor! He takes his time with you and explains things so you can understand! You will not be disappointed!

The Ultimate Professional show details The Ultimate Professional
Jan 7th, 2012

Immacullately dressed during office visits. Great interpersonal skills. All in all a great doctor. Patient care is of the highest quality!. Dr. Millard treats patients as if he is privileged to take care of them. Most other docs made me feel as if I was privileged to see them. If you have a lumbar disc injury and want to do well without need for surgery see Dr. Millard. He will not disappoint you!

Jan 2nd, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr Millard for over 17 years. During this time Dr. Millard has successfully treated my degenerative lumbar disk disease. His treatment has prevented me from having lower back surgery and allowed me to live a relatively normal life. I am greatly appreciative of Dr Millard and have recommended to my family and friends.

Great doctor, absA great doctorolutely show details Great doctor, absA great doctorolutely
Oct 24th, 2011

I've seen Dr. Millard for about 3 1/2 years for bad cervical disks. Over that time, he's given me about 3 corticosteroid injections and multiple referrals to PT, MRIs, etc. I do believe Dr. Millard's work has greatly relieved (or eliminated) my symtoms, staved off surgery, and educated me about how to be good to my neck. And if things don't improve, he's secure enough to refer you to other experts. Moreover, besides great technical skills, Dr. Millard has all the personal qualities people have already mentioned: he's kind, personable, funny, and caring. (Darn good-looking, too! ;) Dr. Millard is just a rare find in doctors. Have a bad spine and want to explore your options other than just surgery? See him.

Best Spine Dr. In Bay Area, BAR NONE show details Best Spine Dr. In Bay Area, BAR NONE
Jun 14th, 2011

Dr. Millard understands spinal injuries better than anyone I have ever seen . He is an excellent doc and really seems to care about his patients. He has an extremely busy practice, yet always runs on time. He has a great bedside manner and is always willing to answer all my questions. He is unsurpassed in procedural skill. I am now pain free for the first time in years, thanks to an epidural procedure he performed over a year ago. In Summary, Dr. Millard is the best dr. I have ever seen.

GREAT DOCTOR/LIFE CHANGING show details GREAT DOCTOR/LIFE CHANGING
Jan 28th, 2011

Dr. Millard made the right diagnosis at my first visit. The MRI confirmed his diagnosis exactly. He spent time with me in his office to review the MRI findings in detail. None of the other physicians consulted provided an accurate diagnosis or bothered to review studies with me. I am now pain free after his procedures, prescribed physical therapy and medications. He does expect his patients to follow a closely prescribed exercise regimen, so if you aren't willing to work hard on your own, he may not be the right doctor for you. To me, he is the total package: intelligent, kind, compassionate, great listener/communicator, great bedside manner, etc. See this doctor first, if you want to get well and are willing to take an active role in your own health care.

Jan 11th, 2011

this Dr has understood the importance of my sport, and has worked with me to allow me to stay in it at the level I want to be at. At the same time he has cautioned me regarding what such at intensity could cause my problem.

Movie Star Good Looks show details Movie Star Good Looks
Oct 29th, 2010

This Doctor is great. I just think he is wasting his time being a Doc, although he is good. He should be in the Movies. He's yummy good looking. Wow! I drive from Carmel to see him for my issues.He's a must see ladies!

Simply The Best Doctor I Have Ever Seen show details Simply The Best Doctor I Have Ever Seen
Jul 6th, 2010

Dr. Millard made the right diagnosis, that other doctors had missed. He then implemented the correct treatment plan, including the appropriate procedures. He is always pleasant during office visits and seems to always run on time for both office visits and his procedures. most importantly, I am pain free for the first.time in years!

Top-Notch Diagnostician! show details Top-Notch Diagnostician!
by Happy Patient on May 14th, 2010

Dr. Millard is nothing short of amazing. If you have, like so many other people out there, been through the ringer seeing doc after doc trying to find the cause of your pain, been overmedicated without any explanation for what ails you, then you need to pick up the phone and call to get in to see this man. He will change your life, and for the better. It is rare to find this combination of diagnostic skill and bedside manner in the same practitioner. It can be difficult to reach someone on the phone, but for me that is a small price to pay for the pain relief I have enjoyed and the ability to continue working as opposed to spending a life on disability. See him. You won't be sorry.

THE BEST DR. I HAVE EVER SEEN! show details THE BEST DR. I HAVE EVER SEEN!
Mar 31st, 2010

Dr. Millard makes all patients feel equally important, even if you are not a professional athlete. He made the right diagnosis when other doctors were unable to figure out my problem. His interventions have made me pain free for the first time in many years.

Simply The Best show details Simply The Best
Oct 27th, 2009

Extremely skilled and competent and kind. Runs an excellent private practice and makes every patient feel important and special. See him first for your cervical and lumbar disc problems; you will not be disappointed.

by Sports Guy on Feb 28th, 2009

Dr. Millard is compassionate, kind and an excellent diagnostician. He understands the importance of therapeutic exercise in the management of spine/sports injuries, and "practices what he preaches". He is technically excellent in his procedures, which were performed with painless ease and were tremendously beneficial. His affiliation with multiple sports teams speaks to his skill level. He is simply the best doctor I have ever seen!

Dr. Robert Millard show details Dr. Robert Millard
by anonymous on Dec 14th, 2008

When you first see Dr. Millard you're not sure if he is actually the doctor because he is so attractive!Dr. Millard is extremely professional and practices what he preaches. He is in excellent shape and motivates his patients to do the same. If you haven't already heard about Dr. Millard you will...He has a long list of cult followers; men, women and professional athletes. Often when you bring up his name people rave about how brilliant he is and it's also a bonus that he is so pleasing to admire......Dr. Millard is the best doctor I have ever seen and he is clearly a top expert in the field of medicine.I would highly recommend that you see Dr. Millard because his bedside manner and expertise in the field is unsurpassed!

He "is" the best back doc in the world! show details He "is" the best back doc in the world!
by Commissioner Gordon of Gotham City on Jul 22nd, 2008

Doc Millard is a very talented doctor rthat cares about the well being of his patients that are in "real pain". He has done 3 epidural injections to my spine and has taken most of the intense pain away. Not only that he is the Batman to Dr. Wall's Robin. I look at them as a couple of fumbling goofballs until they are called into action. Then look out they turn into Batman and Robin fighting pain and agony all the way until it diappears. If you know them I'll let you guess who is Batman and who is Robin in this pain fighting duo! Good work gentlemen! Job Well done!

Great Doc! show details Great Doc!
Jun 21st, 2008

He is the best doctor I have ever seen....