Dr. Robert Stockburger MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 14th, 2011
He's worth the wait. You can get an appointment that day. The lobby wait is a while because he actually spends time with the patient. At least he has wireless. I don't understand the beef the one person had with him. He is actually very good, does make contact and is typing in the information the patient is giving so that he can refer to it at follow up appointments.

August 10th, 2010
If you're a sado-masochist, see doctor Stockburger
To be fair, I will say that I am someone who has NEVER had a positive experience with allopathic "health care" providers. Mis-diagnosis, unnecessary tests, prescription of ineffective and potentially harmful drugs, and a general haughty disregard for patient input have been the rule, so at 57 I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a "doctor"; and I'll admit that my negative experiences may color this review. I have suffered for 15 years from increasing degrees of pain due to degenerative disc and joint disease and have put off seeking any kind of relief, as the only remedy other than risky and extremely expensive surgery (I'm uninsured) is habit forming pain medication, and I really am not looking forward to going down that road, but the pain level has progressed to the point where most normal activities aren't possible - just walking, bending over, grasping or lifting objects REALLY hurts. Since I don't have any X-rays other than some from 15 years ago that show that I basically had no discs left on about 14 vertebrae, and these X-rays were no longer obtainable, I didn't expect Dr. Stockburger would write me a long term pain medication prescription but thought possibly that he might write a small stop gap prescription until I could get the verifying tests. I guess I was very naive in thinking that honestly explaining this need would be respected or given any credence by the doctor. Instead, I was very rudely treated as if I were a criminal.My exam consisted of the doctor entering the room (not making eye contact or any normal civil introductions) sitting down at his computer keyboard and tap tapping away - what he was writing I have no idea -possibly the information for my exam fee? - then, still without making eye contact, he asked me why I was there. He proceeded to tap on my wrists to test for carpal tunnel syndrome (negative, no surprise, that's not my problem) and then lifted my shirt and pressed on a few vertabrae, saying (because I didn't scream?) that I had no pain there. Then came the question that made me realize (upon reflecting on this experience after paying the $100 exam fee) what was actually going on. "What are you looking for?" Apparently, in his mind I was a druggie looking to score some dope. He then informed me that he doesn't prescribe pain medication (which was a, uh, LIE, as he is treating my elderly mother and has been quite freely prescribing (over prescribing?) pain meds for her for quite some time. He did write me a prescription for an arthritis drug called meloxicam. Of course this drug came with the cautionary warning that I shouldn't take it for more than a month or it might cause kidney damage. THANKS Dr. Stockburger! I do realize that some people try to obtain opiates from doctors for illegitimate reasons and that doctors are very leery about prescribing these drugs for various reasons, but in this case an a priori decision was made that I was one of these people and the rudeness and lack of empathy demonstrated by this doctor has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Im out $100 and Im still in pain. P.S. His nurse was a nasty piece of work also.

April 29th, 2010
Excellent Doctor
Doctor Stockburger is an excellent physician. I've been seeing him for the last 15 years. He always takes time with me to explain things and to make sure I am at ease. He has even prayed with me over the years. I moved about 45 minutes away from Blacksburg about 8 years ago, and I still drive to see Dr. Stockburger for all my physicals and health concerns. I highly recommend him.