Dr. Robert Trautman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

September 17th, 2016
The Best
Best dermatologist in Memphis.

October 16th, 2015
only dr. office i have been seen without waiting an hour

September 3rd, 2015
I so wish I had gotten a recommendation before I went to this doctor
Very rarely do I ever write reviews, especially negative ones. But I had such an awful experience with this doctor that I feel it’s my responsibility to let other people know they should probably avoid him. I made a visit to this doctor after 4 months of having a rash, and he was the first doctor I visited about the condition. The reason why I waited so long to visit a doctor is that my sister broke out with the same rash 1.5 years before—and my sister is 1.5 years older than me. Since she was diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema, I just assumed I had the same thing. Especially since this stuff typically appears in your 20’s, which both of us are. Doctors really can’t do much for eczemas, so I just continued trying to find the things that make it better or worse to try to cope with it. The condition was getting so bad all over my body, however, and one night I finally reached a breaking point from waking up multiple times feeling on fire with itching. So I thought I would strip away everything in my diet that people are commonly allergic to. The next night, I did some more research, just because I began to doubt that I had exactly what my sister had. The main reason I began to reconsider was that everything I read about dyshidrotic eczema said it appears on the hands and feet. I had the exact same rash as my sister and how the D.E. is described on my hands and feet—but I had it on the rest of my body. I clarified with my sister and she indeed only had the rash on her hands and feet. I found a very similar condition that is supposed to be related to gluten, and the rash could appear anywhere on the body. On the night that was the breaking point, I had a pizza and two beers for dinner. That’s a gluten-rich meal. The next night, after I had gone over a day without any gluten, was the best night I had since I developed the rash—I didn’t wake up one time. So since I now thought that I have something related but distinct from what my sister has, I thought I did need to definitely visit a doctor. I had already been gluten-free for a couple of weeks or so and while I was still definitely suffering from it, the condition was steadily improving. So I go to the doctor knowing on the front end that I’m going to seem like one of those patients who has self-diagnosed and knows everything because I have the internet, but I can’t help that with the way things worked out, I do have a long story to share about what’s been happening and what I think may be some clues to what is wrong. I wasn’t aiming to be argumentative, to prove I’m right, or anything. But I couldn’t go to the doctor and just not share all of this, right? From the moment I started to say ANYthing about all this, this doctor made clear he wasn’t interested in hearing anything at all from me. He was dismissive, cocky, and obsessed with being in absolute control. He interrupted me, raised his voice at me to cut me off, talked over me, and wouldn’t answer my questions unless I pressed him directly. It was very, very unpleasant. To keep an already long review as short as I can, I’ll spare most of the details of the appointment. Although I could tell he had some reservations about this, he diagnosed me with scabies. He asked several times to make sure nobody I knew was itching (they weren’t, except my sister—who had been told she had scabies when she first broke out with the rash), but didn’t want to listen to anything about my sister and the eczema. One of the times he was raising his voice over me, he said “Forget about the eczema!!” After he gave me the prescription for scabies treatment, and just before he shut the door on the way out, he said, “And stop looking stuff up on the internet.” I found him on the internet, so in that way this was the only thing coming close to good advice during my whole visit. But I can’t imagine the audacity of a doctor to act this way—it’s not his concern at all what I do to try to learn more about what the problem could be and he was completely out of line in telling me that. Some weeks later, I happened to be talking about my experience with someone else some weeks later, and they said the name sounded familiar. They suddenly remembered they had an appointment with him years before. He came in, looked at the part of skin to deal with, and issued care without any questions or anything. He was not caring, not wanting to help, not wanting to be a real doctor. If these two visits years apart from each other are any indication, this man has no business having a job in which personal interaction is so vital. For some reason, he was so threatened by someone who had some ideas about what the diagnosis might be. He had no reason to be so defensive with me—I’m just a person who knew what was happening with my body over the past four months, and I needed to be heard. That’s all. I ripped up this doctor’s prescription for scabies treatment, and I have ended up going to another dermatologist who actually listens to me and wasn’t offended that I already had things to say about my condition. But she also said scabies is the most likely thing. Well, after two tests, two different treatments, and a biopsy, it’s looking like I do not have scabies, after all. I have had no problem with going through treatments for something I didn’t think I had, but I would do it only with a doctor that listened to me. I understand how stressed and tired and vulnerable you are when you go the doctor for a skin condition. f you have any questions or thoughts about your condition, if you want to be heard, if you want to get at the truth, if you want a doctor that really wants to help you, do NOT go to this one.

May 7th, 2015
Great doctor.

January 13th, 2014
Worst experience ever when I went to see Dr. Trautman. All previous reviews which states that this MD does not spend a whole lot of time explaining things to you or even listening to everything you have to say for your reason for scheduling a appointment are correct. I had extremely an painful MRSA infection on the back side of my leg. When Dr. Trautman came in to see me for a diagnosis I expressed extreme discomfort and pain only to be mocked by this physician. Later that same day, I was admitted into the med surge unit at St. Francis. If professionalism and quality patient care is something you are seeking out of physician, I suggest you keep searching.

June 13th, 2012
Have had better luck
He's great for mole checks, but anything outside of that i didnt receive much help. Went to him for major hair loss and he brushed me off and said if it didnt get better to come back. Well, its already been going on for several months now so therefore I dont care to "wait" and come back....I might be bald by then. I need it fixed. Went somewhere else, she put me on meds and stopped the problem. Was not happy that I paid a copay to be told to come back if it didnt get better. I was there for a reason then.

January 21st, 2012
Too busy to care
Dr. Trautman did not ask a lot of questions and his examination and biopsy was over with so quickly, I barely had time to catch my breath. When I called to find out the lab results, the receptionist said they found nothing and if I didn't get results from the ointment he gave me to call back. I asked how long I should use the cream which seemed to blow her mind because she just repeated what she told me. Sad.

October 28th, 2010
Highly recommended dermatologist
Dr. Trautman is NOT the stereotypical specialist. First, he is soundly grounded in primary medicine; he knows when a dermatological problem is caused by another part of the body and makes appropriate referrals to colleagues who can address that concern.Second, he has common sense. He educates the patient about his/her problem so when he wants a progress report, the patient knows how to tell the office staff. Unlike other doctors, whenever I've called in with a report, the staff often calls back in 1 or 2 hours if he has any directions or changes my prescription.Third, he office staff knows their jobs, and he LETS them do their work. When you leave a message for him, you can expect a call back or an appointment, if needed.Fourth, his afterhours policy is better than other doctors whom I know. Depending on the day/weekend, you might either have to call his residence or contact another dermatologist. I've been down both roads, and my problems were addressed THEN, just as he would do in an office visit.Finally, the only negative comments about my experience are not a problem to me but probably are to others. The wait time is excessive for him. Whether you get a morning or afternoon appointment, you'll wait. Even though it's frustrating to see drug reps go right on in, be assured that he will address your problem when you get back. Another problem is his follow-up policy. He's never asked me to schedule another appointment, but rather call his staff with a report. I've never had to go back for a follow-up to a visit, but some might be irritated that he takes your word if you say you're fine. For me, I want to avoid doctor's appointments and do not mind relaying my message through his capable staff.In conclusion, I wish there more doctors like Dr. Trautman. Perhaps, he's caring and enjoys his work because he works for YOU, rather than a mega-practice. I'd highly recommend him for anyone who needs a dermatologist.

March 31st, 2010
Went to see him as he was highly recommended. I did not mind that he did not have much time to spend with me what I care about is a diagnosis. I went elsewhere and had blood drawn. Every time I contact his office for results "they are not in" And today there was a recording at 3:01 PM saying that the office was closed until Thursday. I don't even think they check to see if my results are in . The Dr. told me to call him in 2 days. It has been 6 days and the staff is not there or not helpful.