Dr. Robert Ziets MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery New York, NY

3.0

January 21st, 2015
Stay Away. His follow up was terrible. He performed surgery on my right knee and now it's worse than before. I wish I would have gotten a second opinion.

December 5th, 2014
Took a chance... Great experience and treatment
I was referred to dr. Ziets from a former patient of his. I will be very honest, I was scared after reading the reviews but I had an amazing experience. X-rays of my knee we done right in the office. Doctor and his assistant showed me the X-rays then ordered an MRI. the secretary authorized my MRI I had the test and was called less than a week with results. I ended up having knee surgery for a ligament tear 2 weeks later. Went to therapy a week after that and now 4 weeks later I'm running around like nothing was wrong.

July 9th, 2014
Help
I was referred to this person from the ER. He walked in the room and said I dont see anything.They said it was elbow .I told him I didnt care what they said and that it wasnt my elbow but my wrist and that I heard it when it cracked.He left and came back and said oh yea I see it and gave me a piece of paper to go next door and get a custom cast and left. I had pain and called to see him but could only see someone else that worked for him. Again I had to go to ER because of swelling. Only to be told (after an xray.) to follow up with the doctor that I have seen for TWO (2) minutes at the most. Got to see him this Friday and hope I get to see him because I want to know what was my diagnosis and what is my prognosis.(oh when I went to the hospital ER they could not tell me why I was having swelling but that I did have swelling. Have done research and I have the right to have in writing any thing done to me and by whom and why.

June 4th, 2014
Get a second Opinion
Unfortunately the negative reviews I have read online I have experience as well. DR Ziets was refer to me by Beth of Israel ER. On my first visit they took xrays but were never showed nor explain to me, (Ask to see them and have them explain your xray/MRI.) He told me surgery need it to be done and the procedure he was going perform. First surgery he was 30 minutes late from the schedule time, second surgery he was an hour and 30 minutes late. I had the same MRI issue it took them 10 business days to call me with my results. I would call leave a voice mail and a messages with the office assistant, Every time I called they made me feel like I was an inconvenience. After 10 days the PA finally got back to me with the results. In the mean time I was moving around with a fracture and severe pain. After my surgery I was seeing the PA. I was told my progress was coming along but xrays/MRI were not shown or plain to me. By the way on my last visit I waited over an hour to see the PA. My recovery has taken twice as long then what I was told and I'm still not 100%. I highly recommend you ask lots of questions and get a SECOND OPINION, my experience has not been pleasant. Will I be referring my family and friends, absolutely not.

March 7th, 2014
Stay away!
You'll never see him. He has his PA do everything for him and then bills you and your insurance for full doctors visits. I have never had a single explanation as to what the proper course of treatment is for my situation and I'm worried that I have permanently affected my range of motion because of this irresponsible and apathetic treatment. How does this guy still have a practice?! If I could give him zero stars, I would.

October 10th, 2013
Disgusting
Dr. Ziets is as cold as it gets. He doesn't care about his patients. His staff is rude and make you feel like they are doing you a favor. I had 2 horrible experiences in which I decided I'm never coming back to his office again. I guess they don't teach you how to act like a normal human being in dental school. I've never been so disgusted with a doctor.

September 27th, 2013
Center of Excellence
My entire experience with Dr. Ziets and his staff was fantastic. The appointment was prompt with minimum wait. Dr. Ziets explained my condition well, and he spent time with me and answered all my questions. I eventually had to have surgery, and the outcome was excellent. The doctor is very kind and also highly skilled. I can't recommend him highly enough!!

June 18th, 2013
Find an alternative
Dr. Ziets was referred to me by another Beth Israel Medical Group doctor, nice enough, however, I feel like they just want to get people in and out and just do the surgery and that's it. My appointment to address a labral tear in the hip, was about 10 minutes at most. He came in and introduced himself and asked the standard questions. But did not review or explain my MRI with me and I'm not even sure if he looked at my MRI film or just looked at the report. He said okay we can fix this with minor surgery, he gave a brief explanation, but not much else. And then said that I can schedule the surgery at the front desk. I was not very confident of this consultation, so I decided on another opinion (Dr. Colvin at Mount Sinai) and they were fantastic. Dr. Colvin put up my MRI film, showed me the area where the tear was, explained in detail what a labral tear is and even showed me on a diagram as well. They explained what my options were including trying physical therapy to see if it helps (esp since the pain I experience is so sporadic). And if I didn't want to try it of if I did go to PT and felt like it wasn't helping, I could still opt for the surgery. After this second opinion, I felt like Dr. Ziets' consultation was by so extremely sub-par. He may be fine for the surgery, but I do not recommend this doctor if you want attentiveness or explanation.

November 22nd, 2012
BEWARE!
The one-hour wait is the least of my concern. While finally waiting to see the doctor in the visiting room, I overheard the following conversation about myself outside "She works part-time and was not injured on the job - so you see her." Two minutes later a man walks in and introduces himself as a PA and I kindly asked to see the doctor. When Dr. Ziets came in, he was as stoic as possible, asked a few brief questions, grabbed my shin without alerting me and jerked my leg back and forth a few times. He walked immediately out of the visiting room and began taking notes. Dr. Ziets quickly explained what he thought the issue with my knee was and left. Apparently, patients not injured on the job get a different treatment; but most certainly this man should not be in the care of patients because he doesn't possess an ounce of interpersonal effectiveness.I called for a follow-up appointment after the designated amount of time Dr. Ziets told me to rest and wait for re-evaluation, yet the call was not returned. I also received an inaccurate bill for this appointment because the Office Manager did not accurately code the visit for my insurance carrier. She was so sure I was wrong when I phoned her but I had already spoke to both the insurance carrier and authorization department so I had the necessary information.Steer clear of this doctor!

August 10th, 2012
I was very disappointed in my experience with him. He left me waiting for an excessive amount of time and then spent less than 5 minutes with me. He spoke to me from the hallway and at first thought I was a different patient. He then wanted to operate on something I later learned from another doctor that he misdiagnosed.

May 24th, 2012
Great surgeon, great staff, great experience
Truth be told, I read these reviews before seeing Dr. Ziets and they made me nervous. However, I couldn't have been happier with my pre-op care, surgery results, and follow up. I was referred to Dr. Ziets from the Beth Israel ER after I sustained a wrist fracture and displacement on a Tuesday evening that required open reduction surgery. Dr. Ziets was able to take me in for surgery the following Monday, and even one hour earlier than my scheduled time. His office staff was wonderful in working out the logistics, and Dr. Ziets personally called me several times prior to my surgery to make sure I knew what was happening and that I was comfortable. He even offered to see me in the morning before my surgery to talk face-to-face, but I declined because I already felt at ease. The surgery was a great success. He and his staff were very responsive the days after my surgery when I was calling with pain management questions. He even gladly answered my dad's incessant questioning pertaining to the type of metal used in the plate that is currently fixed to my bone. The physical therapy group he sent me to is also an absolute delight. Incredibly easy to get appointments, very friendly, and I already have much of my range of motion back only 3 weeks post surgery. I have no doubt I'll make a full recovery.Regarding bedside manner, I agree with the reviews that he often seems rushed. However, he has always stopped to answer my questions or concerns and I never felt like I was pestering him. If you're the type of person that needs constant attention, reassurance, and sympathy, then you might be put off by his bedside manner. If you care about quality work and results, then I highly recommend Dr. Ziets.

May 8th, 2012
Was not very interest in my problem at hand. He walked out an answer the phone while checking my hand. When I cancel my surgery he seem to be very rude. To me it seem like he was oAll about the money and not my health. He didn't even tell me what he was going to do in the surgery. So I got a second doc to look at me so I reccomend don't go to him his rude and not informative about his work he seems nice at first but his rush to much to get me in an out his office but he not good do not trust him on doing any operation