Overall Review

3.3

March 13th, 2015
Numerous bad experiences
Numerous bad experiences. I'd been going to her for over a year and a half before she told me I was supposed to be having blood tests monthly, instead of every three months. Why didn't she catch that when I started treatment with her? She also basically ordered me to get surgery and claimed I'd have a bad outcome, like an ostomy, if I didn't; 14 years later and no surgery, and I'm doing fine. She was rigid in her thinking on various medications as well; when I went to a major IBD center for a second opinion, I found much more flexible and open-minded thinking, and willingness to try new approaches. I would not recommend any patient to her. Too bad; she started out with excellent academic credentials, but turned her back on that path. Now she's apparently more into being on Dr. Oz and pushing merchandise (and not taking insurance) than she is into helping patients with complicated and demanding illnesses.

December 12th, 2013
Misdiagnosis
I have seen so many gastro doctors in town and when I saw Dr. Chutkan, I thought I finally found someone who can diagnose me correctly. I became very ill from another doctors prescription which wrecked havoc in my intestinal tract made worst by seeing other doctors to help me out of desperation. Dr. Chutkan seems knowledgeable plus she is also a well known doctor who you seen on TV. Well, I got very ill from her prescription and ended up in the ER. The ER doctors tried to reach her to explain their findings. She was unreachable. Upon release form the hospital, I tried to reach her . Instead of speaking to me, she instructed her the front desk person to speak to me. Upon my insistence, she spoke to me and said, there was nothing wrong with her prescription. that my reaction to the drug was due to anxiety and she hang up on me. What kind of doctor is she? I had to go to Mayo Clinic to find a definitive answer to me medical problem. I brought with me the slides from Georgetown from the colonoscopy I had with her. Mayo Clinic repeated the procedure plus more….there was no indication that I had CROHNS.. It was devastating that a doctor like Dr.Chutkan with her calibre can make such mistake and subject me to take medications that I did not need..no wonder I was sick from it. To make matters worst she was not willing to listen to my concerns. I wrote her upon my return from Mayo Clinic where I had undergone intensive testing. I will not recommend her to anyone. The moral of my experience: Just because a doctor is rated as one of the TOP DOCTORS and you see her TV to give some medical advise or current findings…they are not always the best. There are less known doctors who are also qualified and one willing to listen to their patients.

June 4th, 2013
Wonderful and caring dr
I had my first appointment with Dr. Chutkan a little over one year ago. Every aspect of the appointment truly was a five star experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful, I waited for approximately 10 minutes in the waiting room, at that point, Dr. Chutkan came out to the waiting room and introduced herself. We went back to her office and she spent about 45 minutes discussing my issues, etc...there was no urgency on her part to end the appointment. Her bedside manner was the best I have seen....ever. She was very kind and soft spoken. She does not accept insurance, but for me, I am very happy to pay out of pocket for the quality of care that Dr. Chutkan provides. I am not looking forward to getting the medical testing that is needed, but I am very thankful that Dr. Chutkan will be the one performing the tests. I feel very confident that I am in good hands.

April 4th, 2013
They don't take insurance, they do not see people on Fridays and she won't come to the hospital no matter what. I was hospitalized in georgetown and thought she would show up but she refused. Yet she is head of gastro there??? She is very condescending, occasionally smart, but very focused on money issues. She is expensive way above what insurance carriers pay. I think she thinks she has a boutique practice with high end clients, yet her office is not equipped with the minimum required for a doctor's office. There are many other GIs in the area, shop around for someone less focused on money and more focused on you.

November 11th, 2011
waited 10 years for a doc who listens
Dr. Chutkan was amazing in aiding in the diagnosis of my symptoms that had been going on for over 10 years. I had other doctors convincing me that my symptoms were in my head. She read my chart at our first visit and was disgusted at how I had been treated over the years. Although she didn't immediately know what was wrong, she was aggressive in persuing it. She did not leave one stone unturned until I was treated appropriately and referred to the correct doctor to fix my problem. I am forever grateful for her attentiveness as I no longer have symptoms and pain.

February 18th, 2011
She is very thorough and takes plenty of time to discuss my condition and treatment options. Under her care, my Crohn's Disease has been very manageable.

February 5th, 2011
Very poor communication skills
Treated my daughter. Did not listen and was very condescending.