Overall Review

3.9

July 27th, 2016
Excellent surgeon!

March 22nd, 2016
Extremely Capable and Competent
I had emergency surgery by him over 3 years ago for a very serious medical condition and thank G-d, it was very successful. I recommend him highly.

January 1st, 2016
Dr. Roger Hartl - Constant miscommunication
Worst experience I have ever had with a doctor. Reading his recommendations, I imagine he is a superior neurosurgeon, but most of his office and staff are so disfunctional. After waiting over two hours to see him, he spent less than 10 minutes with me. I was dismissed very quickly. The office does not return calls; his nurse practitioner is incompetent, and you have to go through so many to see the "big man." Thank God I didn't require surgery. When his nurse called me and gave me HER diagnosis of my CT scan and MRI, it scared me.

July 16th, 2015
Life-changing surgery
I am pleased to share my experiences on the spinal surgery by Dr. Roger Hartl at Weill Cornell. It is just over two months since the operation and it seems to be an outstanding success. When I was first diagnosed with spinal stenosis eight years ago all doctors gave me one piece of advice: Do NOT have back surgery. It must only be a last resort. So in the interim I tried everything for relief, from acupuncture to P.T. to spinal injections to chiropractics. When it became clear that the stenosis was becoming more acute and preventing me from having a normal lifeI went to my G.P., Dr. Richard Cohen. H advised me to consult with Dr. Roger Hart. Luckily while I was wasting years trying to treat the symptoms of stenosis a minimally invasive surgical process was developed — and I was told it was just right for my type of stenosis. The operation took place on a Monday morning and I was home by Tuesday morning. The second and third lumbar bones were the object of the process. My recovery was all but painless except for the first few days (managed with Tylenol). Over the weeks I have found that the operation has done wonders for my mobility, increasing with each day. Where I was once able only to walk 2-3 city blocks before feeling the need to stop to rest, I am now able to walk many, many blocks — in fact I’ve not yet reached a point of needing to rest. I can walk about museums, stores and parks, stand in one spot for long periods with no ill effects. The numbness and tingling that once warned me that my legs were about to freeze has disappeared. In a nutshell: the surgery has been life changing. I am about to start the program of physical therapy and I anticipate that the activity will only enhance my ability to move about, strengthen the muscles. Dr. Hartl has warned that the third and fourth lumbar bones, which have also been affected but less so than those treated, may one day need the same attention. If so, I would not hesitate to have the surgery again.

July 16th, 2015
Dr. Hartl and his staff were terrific. He performed a laminectomy to L5/S1. No post-op pain, didn't need to fill the RX for pain meds! I was up and about the next day.

June 10th, 2015
Superstar neurosurgeon
Dr. Hartl is truly a superstar of neurosurgery. His surgical skill is tremendous and he gave a very accurate diagnosis and prognosis. He was always caring and concerned, never rushed us, answered all questions. He was NOT arrogant, displayed NO "attitude," and was everything we had wanted for the very delicate surgery that was required. We'd recommend him to anyone who requires top quality, among the best, neurosurgical care for any spine related problem.

February 7th, 2015
Perpetual Dysfunction
Very dysfunctional doctor, staff, hospital, etc. Recommended surgery several times, but never took time to review records, imaging, etc., so he told his staff to schedule me for one surgery while telling me (and other doctors) something else. Day of surgery was such a mess due to the gross and harmful miscommunication and blatant disregard for communication that I left beforehand. He has a complex as though pts should be happy they are even his patients at all.

January 6th, 2015
Dr. Hartl makes you feel comfortable and confident with your upcoming procedure. Answers all questions you have to ask. You are never rushed thru an appointment. He's the Best. Had Surgery Sept,2013

October 30th, 2014
Wife of patient
Dr. Hartl helped my husband walk again. He was always there at the hospital to check on my husband. We would definitely recommend him since he is an excellent doctor.

August 11th, 2014
patient/neonatologist
excellent surgeon, easy to get in touch with him,& discuss your problems ,surgical procedure he did on my spine made me very happy, after years of suffering i feel much better , i cannot ask for more

July 17th, 2014
Top Notch Neurosurgeon
Dr. Hartl is a world class surgeon. I was in pain for over a year and a day after surgery, pain free. My recovery was rapid with no complications. He was recommended to me by 2 different sources and I will not hesitate to recommend him to others.

February 28th, 2014
Nearly paralyzed me
Comes across as approachable but is too rushed, doesn't know what his other hand is doing, tells you one thing but forgets it, very disconnected from his staff. Took 2 surgeries to fix his mess. It doesn't help that his nurse is a flake and most staff are rude.