Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist
Video profile
1012 N Wolcott 2
Chicago, IL 60622
Locations and availability (4)

|  Dr. Kao CAREs!  |  show details
by Sarah on Jan 24th, 2014

Dr. Kao LISTENS, solves problems and generally made my life better! I would and do HIGHLY recommend him.

|  the very best  |  show details
by P. Thompson on Sep 18th, 2013

Dr. Kao is a miracle worker. He cured my IBS and GERD almost overnight after 50 years with this problem. My life is turned around for the better since I have visited his office. Dr. Kao is very knowledgeable and generous with his time and talent. He goes to bat for his patients. eg. He called the insurance company so that I got the best prescription to cure my ailment. Other drugs just did not help and he found the right one!!!!! Dr. Kao treats the whole person. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Keep up the good work!

|  Would definitely recommend!  |  show details
by D. Brunst on Feb 6th, 2013

Dr. Kao is a cool dude. I was having terrible stomach problems associated with anxiety and stress. Dr. Kao prescribed a low dose medication and got me started on probiotics (which helped a lot). He is very knowledgeable and is very easy to talk to.

by DanO on Sep 4th, 2012

Dr. Kao is a very professional GI doctor with excellent bedside manners. He really listens to his patients to get to the core issue of their pain and discomfort.

|  Mike (Retired NY School Principal  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2012

The process within which Dr. Kao performed my colonoscopy was deft, painless and at a level of professionalism that even the pre-procedure fluid drinking dance was rendered an instant distant memory. Kudos to Dr. Kao.

Mar 14th, 2012

If I told you all the good stuff Dr. Kao does, you would all swamp him, so I won't; he's mine, all mine; you all stay away.I mean it. I need him. Ive got so many things wrong with me I cant even remember my doctors names anymore and people in their 90s feel sorry for me. Whatever youve got, Ive probably got it tooand Ive had it longer..I am mostly Irish, so Ive lasted.Ive had so much medical crap done to me that I think the pack I support now are worried Im about to escape.Im so spooked now that it took three of them more than a week to convince me to take vitamin D. And just dont think about coming near me without prepping me with pain and anxiety meds and having general ready at hand. Yet, Im keeping this one so far. So keep away.But if he gets bored because he has fixed me and I dont need to see him, then go ahead and see him. Gotta keep the good ones happy.Please forgive any insanity in my review: as Im typing this Im very badly affected by some horrible petrochemical that just got sprayed all over a window being replaced. Maybe I will die. Then my review of Dr. Kao will have been the last thing I thought. Thank you Dr. Kao.

Dec 30th, 2011

Dr. Roger Kao was professional and personable. He took ample time to meet with me and discuss my problem. More importantly, he was able to diagnose and treat the bowel problem that I had suffered from for years without intrusive surgery or steroid medication.

|  Thank you doctor Kao!  |  show details
Oct 29th, 2011

I had my hemorrhoid problems many years. Doctor Kao fixed all of them during three visits. No pain, no problems anymore.

Aug 15th, 2011

AHHHHHHHHH, Peace be with you Doctor Kao.....listen all you folks reading this review....I could not have been so blessed to have Dr. Kao treat me for my illness (struggled with Hep C and now it's undetectable , thank God)....He held my hand thru out my whole treatment, giving me nothing but support and encouragement....He is trully one of a kind in my book....very professional and yet so personal ...never felt like i was in a cattle ranch being poked and proded...gave nothing but the best of his expertise with total concern and respect...even when i went overseas he made himself available to me....cant ask for a better doc.:D.....here's to YOU Dr.Kao...thanks for it all!!!!!!!!!

|  painless parker  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

Dr. Kao is personable and interested in his patients and their health. I wasn't particularly freaked out about having a colonoscopy (my first)but did feel a little tense, before I met him for the initial consultation. He put me at ease and the procedure was a breeze.I literally almost did not feel a thing.

|  Best gastroenterologist ever - referred by two favorite doctors  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2011

I have had a history of constipation and bloating since high school, and recently it became quite painful. I have had extremely poor experiences with gastroenterologists in the past multiple doctor visits only led to painful procedures (they didnt use drugs back then), frustration on my part and a lack of a diagnosis or help on theirs. That said, I was more than a little leery to see yet another gastroenterologist when my symptoms worsened. I asked both my cardiologist and gynecologist (whose nurses also see Dr. Kao) for a recommendation and both doctors referred me to Dr. Roger Kao. I was able to see Dr. Kao in a week, and his entire staff was incredibly kind, caring and accommodating. Dr. Kao greeted my husband and me in the waiting room, and we went into his office to discuss my symptoms. I think Dr. Kao sensed my hesitation at being there. He was very sincere, and I felt he went out of his way to make me feel extremely comfortable.Dr. Kao wanted to do a colonoscopy, which was scheduled three days out in his office. The prep was gross, but Ive had worse. I had talked to several people who had had colonoscopies, all of whom assured me that the procedure was no big deal, you wont feel or remember a thing . Unfortunately that was not the case with me, and Dr. Kao stopped the procedure immediately when he realized I was in distress. He made arrangements to have the colonoscopy done the next day with an anesthesiologist at the hospital. Everything went smoothly, and I neither felt nor remembered anything. I had zero pain afterwards. A few days later, Dr. Kao personally called me to give me the results of the colonoscopy. He recommended a medication and special probiotic, which is helping immensely. He is the best and ONLY gastroenterologist I would ever see, and I would refer anyone to him. He listens, he spends a lot of time with you, treats you and your case individually and truly cares about his patients.

|  That First Colonoscopy  |  show details
Feb 26th, 2011

I am a 51 year old male who heard all the horror stories about a person's first colonoscopy. The gallons of unstomachable laxatives, the alienating procedure and the rugged post-procedure recovery. I was not looking forward to this.Then I discovered Dr. Kao. Instead of gulping gallons of nasty liquids, I was able to use easy-to-swallow tablets. No problem. The staff was easy going and comforting; the procedure was quick and nothing at all. I actually was awake (sort of) for the procedure --- didn't feel a thing. I was back home and resting in under 2 hours. Awesome.No anaethesia hang-over, no pain or discomfort. In no time I was completely back-to-normal as though the procedure never happened. Follow-up with Dr. Kao the following week was professional and prompt (he is a young, engaging physician who is easy to talk to).If you are at the age when you need to have that first colonoscopy, I highly reccomend Dr. Roger Kao and avoid the unnecessary discomforts you've "heard about" from your friends and co-workers. This was a breeze.

|  My FAVORITE Doctor!  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2011

Dr Kao is wonderful. When you are dealing with a painful thing such as gallstones, although it may be routine to a doctor, it can be a scary and uneasy time for the patient. I met Dr Kao right after I finished having a MRI to try to figure out why I was still experiencing pain after having my gallbladder removed. He was such a welcomed sight. He took the time to comfort me, and really tried to figure out why I was experiencing pain. I immediately felt better after talking to him for just a few minutes. I felt so sure under his care. Although we had never met before, I was sure I was going to be ok. Since then I have had a follow up appt with Dr Kao and he is equally as pleasant when you are out of pain as when you are in pain. I am very grateful to have met him and if you have any need for a gastroenterologist, Dr Kao is the BEST!

|  Roger Kao  |  show details
Jan 7th, 2011

Dr. Kao is a very knowledgeable Doctor that really listens to his patient. My life was changed and possibly saved by using cutting edge medical technology and sugical precision.He also has a very profesional staff that will make the tough proceedures tolerable.When it comes to gastroenterology"He is the Man". Danny M. California, USA

|  Dr. Kao Rocks  |  show details
Jan 6th, 2011

Dr. Kao takes the time to explain the procedures before and after. It has been a long time since a doctor really takes the time and you don't feel rush. When was the last time a doctor said "You don't need to come back in 10 years". So go and gown up or else the grim ripper might visit.

Jan 3rd, 2011

I travel almost 4 hours to get to Dr. Kao and it was well worth my time. Dr. Kao was professional and caring. He spent time with me to explain the procedure and made sure I was comfortable with everything before he proceeded. I would highly recommend him.

|  Great staff great doctor = great experience  |  show details
Dec 8th, 2010

As we all over 50 know, a colonoscopy is recommended for those of us interested in keeping our health in check.No one really likes to talk about their visit to the doctors for this, as, I guess, they do not like the subject?Well, I am here to say, it is a great subject, as it is a very necessary test for colon cancer, and Dr. Roger Kao and his staff, are professional, experienced and know how to take care of their patients so that there is a very comfortable outcome.To elaborate, I met with Dr. Kao, who walked me through, not only the pre-op information, what to prepare for, but the procedure specifics itself, and what to expect after the procedure.With a good understanding of what I was scheduled for, I was able to manage my week and day easily, prepared my food, or shall I say liquids, for the day before, and after the procedure, joined my friends for an early movie and well deserved dinner out!The procedure is painless, as the doctor and his staff know the best way to get the best results...drugs!I have shared this experience with my friends, who are now scheduling their procedures with Dr. Kao, as I am trusted for good recommendations, so I suggest you use Dr. Kao also!

|  Great experience  |  show details
by Susan H on May 1st, 2010

I have been to many gastroenterologists with my issues as I have IBS. Dr Kao was the only one to spend the time to explain to me my condition and to work with me over time and now I feel as good as I have since I was a kid. GREAT doctor and love the staff as well!!

|  Highly recommend Dr. Roger Kao!  |  show details
Jan 29th, 2010

Dr. Kao is the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

|  Kao Roger M Md is A GENUINE GUY!!!  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Aug 5th, 2009 on insiderpages.com

This doctor knows his stuff. he makes you feel very comfortable discussing whatever condition you may be suffering with in your body. He`s...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com