Dr. Ross Winakor MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Storrs Mansfield, CT

June 19th, 2016
Parent of a Patient
We just used Teladoc, and Dr Winakor called us back. Talk about the getting the 3rd degree for a simple RX of Zpak. With three grown kids, my wife have seen dozens of sinus infections. You don't need an MD to figure that out. His rudeness was only out done by his arrogance. I actually sell the Teladoc services and will request his immediate removal from the plan. Doc the chip on your shoulder must feel like a 1000 pounds. Work on that bed side manner son

March 15th, 2015
Miss-diagnosed myself and my family on several occasions. Changed doctors and realized how poorly we had been served.

February 7th, 2015
Our Doc for 6 yrs....great with Kids

April 18th, 2014
This doctor is very opinionated, does not listen to patients, is arrogant, disrespectful, does not show interest in treating, and gives the impression of wanting to get rid of patients. He may be knowledgeable, but I don't want to see him again.

March 26th, 2014
So glad I changed doctors
I had severe pain in my knees for months now and have been getting the run around and all these unnecessary test. As soon as I saw Doctor Winakor he for hired it out right away and I got better

October 22nd, 2012
Exceptional Physician
I have been a patient of Dr. Winakor's for 5 years now. If you're looking for a doctor that knows his stuff, it's this man. I've read some of the negative feedback on here and find it humorous the comments that are negative are all people who went to him for "pain". His diagnosis' are accurate, he's a strait-shooter, and has no time for non-compliant patients or those seeking drugs. He's amazing with my children as well as myself and extended family. Those who find him arrogant are those who have chosen to enter his practice with a mindset of what they think they need. The man has bent over backwards for his patients, including my family, and we would never see anyone else. However if you think you're going to pull one over on him and to get narcotics, think again. This man is on point.

July 14th, 2012
Pompous and uncaring
Dr. Winakor is one of the most uncompassionate doctors I have ever seen. I unfortunately have had a lot of issues at a fairly young age (6 knee surgeries before I was 25) and was also rear ended while rehabbing for my knee. Dr. Winakor showed no interest in really trying to help me overcome these problems and I felt that he had no desire to even attempt to help. He was very cold towards me and when I would see him, he would come in for about a minute and before I could even say what issues I was having, he would pretty much just say he couldn't help and I got a very strong feeling he had no interest in treating me at all. If you ate looking for a doctor who will truly care and hear you out, I would advise looking elsewhere.

May 12th, 2012
Disappointed
I have been going to Dr. Winakor for a little more than a year now. I have only seen him a small handful of times.. and before last night, my overall feelings towards his attitude and his medical knowledge were positive. Now don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that this man knows his stuff. But what is bothering me is that I went to him with severe pain and discomfort in my chest. Here is my not so short, story of extreme agravation and disappointment.I had to go to the ER for my pain, and had chest x-rays taken there at the hospital that morning ( May, 10th. ) and they showed that my lungs were inflamed. Even though I had not been coughing, I was prescribed a Z-pack because these doctors knew something was wrong and that I needed help. Today is my second day on the z-pack. I understand that it takes a few days for antibiotics to work.. They told me to make an appointment with my primary THAT DAY. And if I couldnt get it when my primary, to make it with someone else. So anyway, when I told Dr. Winakor that I was in pain.. He told me that he could not prescribe me anything and that I can take two Aleve. I didnt argue. I figured that it just wasn't safe to take pain pills with anitbiotics. But I was in too much pain to even think straight. Last night it took at least two hours for me to fall asleep. I took the two Aleve around 10pm and it worked for about half an hour. The pain came back and I did not want to take anymore of the Aleve, seeing as youre not supposed to take more than the recomended dose within a 24 hour time period. But when I woke up at 5am, my chest hurt so bad. I decided that it wasn't worth suffering and took two more Aleve. I was able to sleep until 7am.. again, waking up in pain. My mother decided to call up the office right when they opened, and talk to Dr. Winakor. She told him the situation and he went on to tell her, excuse me, LIE to her.. that when he applied pressure to the areas I was complaining about.. I did not seem to show any kind of pain or discomfort. But the only person who touched me was the woman who brought me into the room and took my blood pressure. I didn not find out that he said this, until after I talked to him myself and hung up the phone and was told by my mother the things he said. I WAS SO ANGRY. When I was on the phone with him, he told me that he would send a prescription to my pharmacy for a mild narcotic. I said thank you and said at least three different things to him, and every single one of his responces was " Well, like I said, I will put in a prescription for..." I told him that my pain was getting worse on my right side, front and back. I told him I was afraid and I wanted to know if this new pain was something to be conserned about. But like I said, basically he was a broken record. What he prescribed me, was hydrocodone 5/500. At first I only took one because the number 500 made me a bit uneasy and did not want to feel strange. Neither my mom or my grandmother knew what the numbers meant. But when that did nothing for me after an hour I took another one. I felt a little dizzy for maybe.. 10-15 minutes, and the pain seemed to go away. The relief lasted about 2-3 hours and I was back having all kinds of pain in my chest. They start out as shooting pains, and then turn into a constant hurt. It gets to the point where it is difficult to walk and I seem to lean over to my left side because the pain is more sever on the right and I guess I'm trying to get away from it.When I got home from visiting with my grandmother, I looked up what the 5/500 was on the hydrocodone bottle. The 500 is the amount of acetaminophen and the 5 is the amount of vicodin, I believe it is in miligrams.For starters, acetaminophen does not help me or my mother with pain. Ibprofen is what always helps us. And that makes perfect sence for the situation I'm currently in. Seeing as it helps with INFLAMATION. Not only am I uncomforable taking so much acetaminophen because of the harmful efects it can have on your liver, but the amount of vicodin is just sad. I was on a much higher dose when I had my back injury.. ( more about that in lower section of this rediculously long comment ) that I can easily say wasn't as painful as my chest has been. I dont know much about prescription pain relievers, but I'm pretty positive that there must be something else out there, in this day and age, with less acetaminophen and something like vicodin that will actually help me. How am I supposed to take these pills if the effects only last, at the most, 3 hours? I pretty much need to decide if I go throughout the day in agony, or try and go to sleep in pain?? I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FEEL THAT WAY!! It's not like I was asking for a months worth of pills. I just wanted something for a few days until my chest was better.What I am getting from my LAST visit to this doctor.. is that he was putting me into some catagory with young adults who abuse drugs. I can tell you, whoever is reading this, that I have never done any kind of ilegal drug/abuse prescription drugs. AND I AM PROUD OF MYSELF FOR THAT. The last time I was on any kind of medication to relieve pain, was almost 2 1/2 years ago, when I had a compresion fracture in my spine. I did not even want the medication. But when I stood up out of the hospital bed, I realized that I did need it. Like I do now. I don't drink alcohol. I smoked HALF A CIGARETTE three years ago because I was doing a stupid " You die, I die. " kind of thing with my boyfriend in hopes that he would quit.. BUT I DONT NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF. And I shouldnt have to feel like I need to take a polygraph test in order to get pain medication from a doctor I thought I could trust. I was hunched over in pain on the way to the doctors office.. my boyfriend was telling me not to get my hopes up and that my doctor probably wouldn't do anything for me. I told him he was wrong and that Dr. Winakor was a good doctor and he would understand. But now I know that I was absolutely wrong. He didn't even go over the x-rays with me and help me to understand what was going on with my body. I am never going back to him and I will not recomend him to any more of my friends, family or co-workers. And the people I have told about him.. I am going to take back everything I said. I am so incredibly disappointed in this doctor. I am just dying to know how many people he has wrongly prescribed pain pills to and how many he has screwed over because of his poor, stereotypical judgment.

April 25th, 2012
Perfect for us
I love his straight forwardness. There is nothing worse then a doctor who goes around in circles and talks down to you and this doctor does nothing like that. My husband and 9 year old daughter love going to him. If he doesn't know the answer to a medical problem, he makes sure he finds someone who does. He is just wonderful

March 14th, 2012
My skin is NOT thin- this man is a jerk!
I know when I am being prejudged. Was accused of lying over specific medication regimen- I am a recovering addict and I went back to school in spite of the fact I am still on a recovery aiding medicine for which I choose not to know the dose. I was willing to sign whatever releases necessary but he decided I was too risky a patient- I am now a medical PROFESSIONAL myself as I was at this appointment and I employed in the substance abuse field to assist others in need without PREJUDICE- I remember what it was like and this man wouldn't last a day at my job. I suspect Mr. Winakor had other non professional reasons for his decision. People like him are the very reason I chose a position in which I had substantial say in the care plans of recovering clients.(I handle the narcotic medications too as I am trustworthy and honest and can prove it medically- but I guess that somehow is not good enough for a closed minded individual as this man is. I do not care how much this man knows - he may very well be a great Doctor as far as the job itself is concerned but his wall of arrogance prevents him from learning new things about the folks he treats and in a few years he will be behind the times if he doesn't change his ways.

May 12th, 2011
Courtious staff, professional attitude, accurate diagnosis, pleasant personality .

December 19th, 2010
Great doctor
Called for appointment and got one rather quickly. Dr. Winakor was professional and accurate in his diagnosis.