Dr. Roy Meckler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

June 2nd, 2016
Most inteligent neuroolgist/ physician I've known

September 14th, 2014
Registered Nurse
I totally agree with the negative reviews on this site. I was a long term patient of Dr Meckler and I never knew which personality I was going to get on the day of an appointment or procedure. When he was kind I was thankful but when he wasn't I begged him to be nicer and cried many times. His reputation is well known in this community and people put up with his behavior because our choices for specialists are limited. He is not a board certified Opthomalogist/Neurologist as someone else mentioned in a review. He is very good with diagnoses of the eyes related toMultiple Sclerosis but not certified. He asks for your medications and dosages because he can't remember. The same type of problems I had with him only he accused me of things and yelled at me. One appointment he would hug me and be my number one advocate and the next time scream at me. I have MS and I could no longer take the stress. I also didn't like being talked to like a medical student. I always need compassionate medical care not just on his good days. I also needed someone to explain my MRI's to me in person and show them to me since it was my brain, my disease and my money. Not a hurried phone call. He really needs to retire. He was great in his prime and I was a patient then, but it's time to let go. By the way, it took him many, many years to accurately diagnose me!!

May 11th, 2012
Worth the Wait, to see the Specialist!
Dr Roy Meckler is one, if not the best neurologist in the State of Kentucky (Indiana). He spends time with his patients and truly loves each one of us. He remembers everyone that walks through the door.He is also a neuro ophthalmologist (an added specialty concerning eyes/eyesight) It is not easy to get an appointment. (No physician really great usually is) You can ask to be put on a cancellation list if you are anxious to get in. He has other partners that may be able to get you in earlier, he's worth the wait. (Ok to see his son, Jason Meckler, who is also very good) His office staff is pretty good, but not perfect. As with any healthcare, you have to be your own advocate. Dont be afraid to call back if needed.At the beginning of your visit with him, he shuffles through and organizes your records paying close attention to details about your case history. Then, he listens, takes time to get to know you and "shoots it to you straight". He encourages phone calls when you have questions, concerns or other symptoms. Once, he even "got after me for NOT calling. I can't say enough about Roy Meckler's work ethic, enjoyment treating patients, down to earth attitude and open heart. Treating Multiple Sclerosis is one of his passions.

March 28th, 2011
Based his diagnosis on his (mis-) perception of my income
This incompetent oaf began every session by slamming my file on his desk and yelling "Spend-down!" since he wrongly believed I had no insurance. He never bothered to read my very obvious family history, or even to perform the simple oculomotor tests he supposedly is an expert in, or even to fully and correctly perform standard tests that would have diagnosed me. When I asked him to arrange a second opinion, he sneered that I should go to Johns Hopkins Instead, he continually ordered useless MRIs which made thousands of dollars for his office's holding company. This horrible man misdiagnosed me for almost 18 months, causing me incredible agony and actually preventing me from ever fully recovering. The two neurologists I eventually consulted on my own were horrified at this supposed doctor's utter incompetence upon reading my files.

August 4th, 2009
Sui generis doctor..he defines care in healthcare! He's onspot with treatment in both pharmacological and psycological realms. My motheer and I have been comforted by his long sympathetic talks.

March 21st, 2009
My husband and I look forward to our appointments with Dr. Meckler. He is thorough, knowledgeable and caring.

May 22nd, 2008
viral encephlitis
Dr meckler saved my life. In 2001 I was improperly dignosed for weeks! Finally I checked out of a hospital and went to his office.HE promptly put me in the hospital. In three days he had a diganosis. Viral encephlitis! In one week I went home ,with many months of recuperating I am now doing wevery well. Dr meckler thank you so much ,you are my hero.