Dr. Russell Buchanan MD Patient Reviews

• Neurological Surgery Waterloo, IA

May 9th, 2016
Dr Buchanan is terrific, very thorough, knowledgeable, however, their receptionist is awful, rude, short with patients, made me not want to go back. Hard to get into office, especially when in a lot pain to wait :(

February 22nd, 2016
After surgery you'll see his assistant surgeon, Lynne Galloway, an excellent doctor.

April 18th, 2015
said there was nothing he could do
Had lower back surgery done by Dr. Buchanan approx.18 months ago. Walked Into have the surgery done and ended up going to therapy twice a week to get my leg working again. When I came to.at Allen Hospital was in massive pain. No pain pump or pain meds were ordered for me. Allen only has one hospitalist on duty at night and she was in the intensive care unit till 7am the next morning so I went till then with no pain meds. Nurses said nothing they could do. About six months after the surgery pain was back worse than ever. Ended up in Covenant ER this last fall and Dr Buchanan had them do a MRi. Called me on phone and told me nothing he could do. Finally found a women Neuro in cedar rapids for a second opinion and found my.spinal chord is being compressed on three sides where it goes through my vertebra the same one that he told me fixed and nothing was wrong. Get second opinions all.Dr's are human but I shouldn't be their guinnie pig.

August 11th, 2014
Spinal Surgery
I would recommend Dr. Buchanan to anyone! I just had spinal surgery three days ago, and all the pain I had been suffering with for months, is gone. Now I just have to heal from the surgery. "Which is normal". I can't begin to thank him, his nurses, and his staff enough!!!

May 26th, 2013
Horrible

April 19th, 2013
Absolutely the best.
After years of lower back pain & numerous appointments with neurosurgeons.I was referred to Dr.Buchanan by my family doctor. I was told your MRI doesn't show any damage to nerves even after loss of feeling in my feet.Dr.Buchanan went way out of the norm ordering test after test to find out what was causing my pain & weakness in my back & legs. After a disco gram it was revealed l-4 l-5 were causing my pain.He performed a alif double fusion and nearly a hour after surgery as I took my first steps the pain in my feet & back were gone.Its been 9 days post op & I do have some aches & pains but nothing close to what I had.Couldn't ask for a better staff and surgeon. I wouldn't let anyone else do what he did.Dr.Wait & Dr.Buchanan and their staff is top notch.Thank you for giving me my life back.

December 6th, 2010
Dr Buchanan is one of the best is one of the best neuro surgens in the state of Iowa and definatily the best in waterloo, IA! My condition has been on going for more than 15 years and after seeing all neuaroglist in the waterloo, ia area and then going to the iowa city neuaroglist and nero surgens in waterloo, iowa city and cedar rapids areas in iowa i found Dr Russell Buchanan and he was the one that was able to help me with my condition and confirmed what i had been told for the last 15 years as the othere doctors did not seem to know any thing about dergenetive disc disease. I have recommeded dr buchanan to many people and he was the one doctor who gave me faith in doctors again! I can't say enough in favor of Dr Buchanan, if you need a neuro surgen this is the man to see!!!