Dr. Russell Cohen Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Russell Cohen?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

August 25th, 2017

Incompetent Office Staff

Office staff waits until last minute to request medical history records, then won't communicate except by phone (no email). No one ever answers the phone, always goes to voice mail. Many other mostly negative reviews. I'll save myself more pain and find a competent doctor.

December 5th, 2016

I am writing this review based on my daughter's experiences with Dr. Cohen. She has Crohn's and has been seeing Dr. Cohen for almost two years. He has been absolutely wonderful! She really likes him and is very supportive of his treatments. Her last colonoscopy determined that she is in remission! Great news! Dr. Cohen was wonderful to our family and we found his support of my daughter impeccable. We also found his humor refreshing. We would highly recommend Dr. Cohen!

October 4th, 2015

Great communicator and sets you at east

Has been my GI for Crohn's disease for the past year. He's extremely friendly and chatty (be prepared to answer a barrage of rapid-fire questions ranging from medical to silly personal questions. It sounds ridiculous, but it immediately wears down the barriers and makes you feel comfortable with him). He's considered one of the leading GIs in the IBD field, and him and his staff are very thorough when discussing your symptoms and treatments. The negatives: I've never had an appointment be anywhere close to on time and getting an initial appointment will take a looooong time. Otherwise, there is a friendly and helpful staff behind him who makes sure you have your follow ups set before you leave his office. I can't recommend enough.

November 25th, 2013

I saw Dr. Cohen for a second opinion consult. I had to wait 8 weeks to see him. His demeanor can come across as pompous and arrogant. He refused to believe diet had any impact on Crohn's disease. I told him that I had been tested for food allergies/sensitivities the year before, and his response was "that the test was not reliable, and if I ate these foods as a kid, I could eat them now". He took time to go over my history with Crohns, and confirmed that I needed a bowel resection. I had the resection at UC. The surgeon was great. Dr. Cohen never saw me after surgery, but another female doc working with him, said Dr. Cohen wanted me to start Imuran and Remicade after recovering from surgery. I refused because the surgical team said I was clean in all other areas of the bowel, after the strictured/ulcerated part was removed. No explanation was given as to why he wanted me on these treatments, other then it would benefit me because I have Crohns.

November 21st, 2013

The most egotistical, rude, terrible Dr. I ever had!

This man is insane! He is rude, mean, doesn't listen to a word you say. He might look good on paper, but I would never recommend him to anyone I know. My niece has a terrible case of ulcerative colitis, and even though I want her to have the best of care, it would not be Dr. Cohen. There are other doctors at the hospital that can help you. I did not walk out crying as others have said. Finally over a period of years, I walked out saying I hated him! Too strong? not anywhere near enough! I don't want to give stars, because it would put him at light, and not the staff.

September 13th, 2013

What a sad, sad man

After what happened during my visit, I'm still feeling violated and upset at the way Dr. Cohen treated me. He acted in an unprofessional manner and I’m disgusted and astonished with the way he is using and abusing his power. I left the hospital feeling insulted, belittled, demeaned, manipulated and profiled. I now fear the man and am extremely apprehensive to continue treatment under his “care”. I don't feel comfortable proceeding with Dr. Cohen as my primary GI. His bedside manner negates the doctor-patient relationship. He used small talk to pry in to my personal life and then belittle and essentially insult me making it near impossible to ask a question and get an answer. Small talk is no longer small talk when you use it to profile someone. He left "knowing more about me" and I left understanding very little about my symptoms, treatment and care from his medical opinion. I left the office in tears, luckily his nurse was there and comforted me and tried to calm me down. I've been living with Crohn's for over 20 years and in remission longer than I've "suffered" or had flare ups. Most doctors and people with respect and dignity would congratulated me, but not Cohen. He slapped my wrists for not coming to him sooner (he also sees my sister for Crohn's and we both live in Chicago). Being healthy and in remission is a good thing and I wish we could have discussed how to maintain remission and my timeline. Bottomline, he is just a sad, sad person. I acted as professional as I could, but his behavior will not be tolerated.

November 17th, 2012

Condescending remicade pusher

Dr. Cohen unfortunately brings his academic attitude to the clinic. He is not big on considering alternatives to Remicade and does not address fatigue except to say up the dose and then go on Remicade. Also, he downplays side effects and 'everything you read on the internet is garbage'. Well sorry you live in an informed society and I hope that patients sharing information and experience makes your practice harder. He spent 7 minutes with me on my 2nd visit and asked me to confirm IF he was not going to be my primary GI.

August 16th, 2012

He needs more nurses and ones that communicate in a timely manner. There was no collaboration with a dietician and other alternatives regarding ulcerative colitis. Going to another doctor at another hospital. Oh, I had to actually contact administration because he or his nurses were not returning calls when my son was having pain. He had time to call then. Very poor practice and poor n.p.s

August 27th, 2009

Crohns

Dr. Cohen saw my son over 6 years ago when he was very sick with Crohns. Since then he has been in remission, no surgeries and living a full life.Dr Cohen is the best there is in this field !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18th, 2017