Dr. Russell Nauta MD Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Cambridge, MA

March 25th, 2015
A very personable and comforting Doctor

July 9th, 2013
One of the very best!
Dr. Nauta is a kind, caring, compassionate, thorough professional. His reputation as one of the top GI surgeons in the country is well deserved. I hope never to have the colon problem again which sent me to him, but if it does happen again, I'll want him in my corner! He is, in my eyes, one of the very best!

November 26th, 2012
He saved my life! I had a ruptured duondenal ulcer and peritonitis. He operated on me in the middle of the night after being seen in the ER. Dr Nauta is the most caring doctor I have ever met. He explained everything in detail at every visit and answered every question I had and never made me feel rushed. I would give him 10 stars if I could.

August 8th, 2012
emergency appendectomy
Dr Nauta was very personable and made an excellent connection with my husband & me. My husband had an emergency surgery for an infected but not yet burst appendix. Dr Nauta explained the appendectomy procedure- small 2-3 inch surgery and answered all questions fully and respectfully. He came to me personally after the op to explain how it went and the recovery process from physical activities through nutritional needs & time span from liquid through solids. I would highly recommend this experienced, thorough, and kind surgeon to my friends, family and others. Same for the Mt Auburn staff, from emergency care through the surgical & anesthesia teams to the floor nursing staff.

July 27th, 2011
one of the very best doctors to have worked with as well as to have been a patient

January 20th, 2011
Brilliant surgeon
24 years ago, Dr. Nauta operated on my father's cholangiocarcinoma (Klatskin tumor). The tumor had invaded much of the liver and wrapped around the Vena Cava.The survival rate from the surgery was thought to be 5%, with no cure.My father survived the operation and under Dr. Nauta's care, lived another 2.5 quality years. He travelled extensively, authored articles, and attended his daughter's wedding. Dr. Nauta spent considerable hours over those years, providing very detailed scientific information, offering concern, and even arranging for my father to speak at the medical school.My father (a political scientist) so admired Dr. Nauta, that he often stated he had perhaps chosen the wrong profession. Were he here today, I believe his remarks would eclipse mine, in offering the very highest of recommendations to a highly skilled and equally caring surgeon.

November 15th, 2010
Exceptional
True professional. Dr. Nauta's reputation as one of the top GI surgeons in the country was affirmed through my experience with him.

July 24th, 2010
he saved my life
about 6 years ago my pancreas failed. I was rushed to the hospital and Dr Nauta had me in an induced coma for 56 days. It was touch and go for a long time.(fever,infections,etc)Thanks to Dr. Nauta and the ICU nurses, I came out of it and remained in the hospital for a while longer. He monitored me for quite some time afterward. I will never be quite the same, but i am relatively healthy and can live a good life.

May 28th, 2010
This guy is a real class act.
Unfortunately, I have spent alot of time in hospitals over the past decade. I've come in contact with several doctors over that time and Dr. Nauta rates the highest.

May 19th, 2010
Worst surgeon
Take this recommendation to heart. I went in for a routine schedule appendectomy. Everything seemed to be fine until about 5 mins before going into the OR when I asked about the procedure and found out that Dr. Nauta does not do laparoscopic surgeries. A laparoscopic surgery had been assumed by everyone including the hospital staff and anesthesiologist. So instead of a few small incisions which are less invasive I was having my stomach cut open. There was no reason to have an open procedure except for that fact that Dr. Nauta just doesn't do the more technologically advanced surgeries.Following the surgery Dr. Nauta was supposed to inform my boyfriend that I was out of the OR and recovering. And neither him nor anyone from his staff contacted him. So needless to say my boyfriend was a little freaked out, and had to call the recovery room himself. I never saw or heard from Dr. Nauta during recovery and received little to no instruction about my recovery. So little that I didn't know that I needed a follow up appointment until I saw that I had staples holding my sutures together.I have no complaints about Dr. Nauta staff, however, this has been a very traumatic experience and I was not properly informed about the surgery that I was consenting to.If you use this surgeon please be very clear about the procedure you are getting. Lease no assumptions and do not expect any follow up contact. A week later I can barely walk and I'm still in significant pain due to this surgeon's decision to fully cut me open rather than using a less invasive procedure.