Dr. Rustin Berlow MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

December 20th, 2016
Wait time used to be very long, but is much less over the last year. Dr. Berlow is very eclectic and engaged, but very informal and neurotic. All around, I feel like I got good care here for depression.

September 23rd, 2016
An excellent, caring physician. He actually listens, and doesn't just hand you a prescription and rush you out the door. He is also very good about calling you back quickly when you need to talk to him. He treats you with respect, not condescension, like a human being instead of a diagnosis. I can't recommend him enough.

September 23rd, 2016
Life Saver
I first saw Dr Berlow in 1996. I was very broken. For the first time in my life a doctor gave me the correct diagnosis. With persistent determination, he found the medication that helped me participate in life like never before. Balanced! Through my recovery from alcoholism, drug addiction, and mental illness Dr Berlow has guided me with what I have needed. I love his sense of humor and intelligence. He has a big heart. He saved my life. I would recommend Dr Berlow to anyone

June 3rd, 2016
Love this guy!
Dr. Berlow is compassionate, thorough and conscientious. Results have been better than we dared hope for.

March 15th, 2016
I have been seeing Dr. Berlow for about three years for depression and anxiety. My results have been phenomenal and far above any expectations I ever had. He was able to stabilize me with careful, precise medication, then ween me off almost all of the medication using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Dr. Berlow and his staff are compassionate professionals. There is no question that Dr. Berlow considers his profession a calling to help people live healthier, happier lives.

August 30th, 2015
A life worth fighting for
When I walked into Dr. Berlows office in mid-March I was dying on the vine. My systems were shutting down and I was giving up. I looked at life through a black and white lens. But through my work with with Dr. Berlow I have been reminded what a fun and passionate person I used to be. I have hope and I feel like my life is worth fighting for. For that Dr. Berlow will always have my sincerest gratitude.

June 17th, 2015
I Have My Life Back!
Dr. Berlow is a phenomenal psychiatrist. He is more knowledgeable about the brain than most neurologists and and his knowledge far exceeds any psychiatrist I have been to. But that is just the beginning. Dr. Berlow is incredibly kind and caring. When you have a session with him he treats you like you are his only patient—and he really wants to help you. Dr. Berlow has changed my life. Or more accurately, he has given me my life back. Dr. Berlow offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) to treat depression. When I first read about TMS it sounded to good to be true. TMS uses a magnet similar to those used in MRI to stimulate areas of the brain that are under active in patients with depression. It works. It's amazing. And other than a few brief headaches, I had no side effects. If you suffer from depression—that awful abyss that you cannot climb out of-- and you want your life back, try TMS. You won't regret it. Good luck to you!

May 17th, 2015
Worth it
Best shrink ever

May 12th, 2015
Exceptional Psychiatrist
Dr. Berlow is an amazing psychiatrist. His knowledge and compassion far exceed any doctor I've previously been to. His intellectual curiosity means that he is on the cutting edge of treatment with medication and non-medication options.

October 8th, 2013
Brilliant Caring Life-Saving Life-Changing
Those are just a few of the first words that come to mind when I think of Dr Berlow. Two weeks ago today I saw him for the first time, and if I hadn't been so fortunate to have a friend take me to him, I would have been hospitalized. My own doctor of eight years plus had been changing my meds and doing the old "hmmmmm, let's try this and let me know if you're in trouble" when I had been telling him, I'm in trouble for the past two months. In fact, said doctor had been increasing a med I'm allergic to, watching me head into mania, and rapid cycling and every appointment, giving me the "Hmmmmm, what are you taking again?" Doctor Berlow saw me immediately when my friend texted him I was in trouble. "Come now" he texted back. Kind, brilliant genius is how I think of him. I filled out 20 pages of background. I told him more about myself than any doctor has ever asked. I'm 65 years old, so that's years of doctors. Within 5-10 minutes, he ascertained that I was allergic to 4 antidepressants. He had a plan to stop my mania, promised to keep me from diving into the depression that follows mania, gave my daughter his phone number to text him in the middle of the night if I couldn't sleep, and sent me home with a week's worth of vitamin supplements and a prescription to help me sleep. He is unlike ANY doctor you will ever meet. For the past two weeks I have texted him each morning and based on how I'm doing, he fine-tunes my medication. I have been hanging onto his promise that I will be ok and feel better than I ever have before. Today is day 4 that I am doing really well. That's just two weeks later, after suffering for 2+ months. He truly feels for your suffering, and he wants to help. Not only does he WANT to help, he actually DOES help. This is the level of care that we all deserve. I thank God my friend took me to Dr. Berlow. No need to look any further. If you have happened onto this site, consider yourself extremely fortunate. He's rare. He will help you be well.

June 1st, 2013
Great Doc; No Condescension
Dr. Berlow is everything you would hope for in a doctor: a kind, wise, and truly good man. He cares more about his patients than his wallet, and you can feel that commitment the moment you walk into his office. No receptionist. If he's busy with a patient, you can kick back and watch the waves crash from his balcony until he comes out and greets you personally (and don't be offended if he's late getting to you sometimes. If you are ever in crisis,he will give you the same, unrushed and undivided attention), He makes you feel like you are visting an old friend. He actually remembers what you tell him, and doesn't just give you the "hmmm, and how does that make you feel? " He actually listens to you-- who you are, and where you hurt, and you know that when you tell him something, he's trying to find a way to help you with it. If you've had a shrink or two, or ten in your journey, you know how unusual this is. Most shrinks these days just pull out their prescription pad. He's not one of those. He's actually listening to you, and he actually cares. He's not one of those pharm-bots who wants to drug you up on whatever the last drug rep put in his samples. He will tell you the most natural and healthful ways to restore your health. He doesn't make you feel like you're sick or damaged. He is more like a friend--a very wise and observant friend, who notices more about you than you do yourself. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Berlow. If you are hurting, I recommend you go talk to him. He is a good human being. He won't be condescending or clinical. He'll treat you like an equal. I've never met a better doctor. He is totally trustworthy, forthright and committed to those in his care.

May 6th, 2013
He cares
On my side, what else matters?