Dr. Sam Akhavan MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Pittsburgh, PA

• Good
  • Bad

April 20th, 2017
tough to get office coordinator on the phone
Dr. is a very nice guy and seems well qualified. I love his PA, she is wonderful. My primary complaint is trying to deal with his coordinator. She does not answer the phone. Her standard message states she will return the call the next business day (don't understand why she can call back the same day) but don't count on it. You will get an appointment when she finds the time to call and you better be able to answer the phone because she will not answer your calls. It takes an unreasonable time to get approvals from the insurance company and I have to assume the same practice of communication is the root cause for that as well. I gave up a few years working with this doctor because I no longer can work with this one person in his office. Week link broke this chain.

July 28th, 2016
Seems like a nice guy. People who work in the office are nice and easy to work with. Scheduling on the phone can be difficult because his office coordinator is rarely at her desk. Doctor does not spend enough time with patient and I feel like he doesn't really want to be bothered with too many questions. Also gave me a diagnosis of just two options after having unsuccessful injections. Live with my pain in my knee which is heading toward not being able to walk eventually(not being able to walk is my opinion but I do believe in another 5 years I won't be able to walk) or have a knee scope which he says may or may not help and could make it even worse. Mind you they say I'm too young for knee replacement. I just felt like after going there for almost a year now I'm left with nothing positive and I want a second opinion. Maybe he is right but I find it hard to believe that there is no good options for me and nothing will help. Also I had to ask an assistant just to get ibuprofen prescription. He offers no prescription pain help at all. All in all I'm not trying to trash the guy. He may be a fine surgeon and was friendly for the few seconds I saw him each time I came but he left me with more questions than answers in the end

July 19th, 2016
Love him such a wonderful Doctor.

May 10th, 2016
He is a very good doctor and knows what he is doing.

October 15th, 2015
I think He is cool
He is a great doctor in my opinion. I don't have any complaints and he is always polite whenever I have to interact with him

October 7th, 2015
best shoulder doc

February 13th, 2015
Great Doctor
I would recommend Dr Akhavan. Several years ago I tore 3 out of 4 major tendons in my knee and damaged some of the nerves. I can now walk without a brace and I have very little lasting pain. Which compared with the original diagnosis is great. Dr Akhavan worked with me and actually cared about my recovery.

August 27th, 2012
Shoulder Surgery 2 Years ago
I recommend this surgeon with great confidence. This man is caring, brilliant, down to earth, and very reliable. I am 17 years old and had a labrum repair 2 years ago due to a baseball injury. I am now back in the full swing or things lifting weights and playing baseball with no pain. I can do anything but pitch, mostly because I am scared. This man changed my life and I am now pursuing a career in orthopedic surgery because of what this man did for me.

July 13th, 2011
Dr. Akhavna was on time and knowledgeable, I felt he cared about my issues and I look forward to completeing my testing to have him give me the options of treatment for my knees

May 3rd, 2017