Dr. Sam Miller MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.8

August 18th, 2016
RT, CNMT
DR. MILLER IS THE VERY BEST ENDOCRINOLOGIST AROUND. THE LAB IN HIS BUILDING IS VERY GOOD, ALSO. I SEND EVERYBODY I KNOW TO HIM.

July 29th, 2016
after 2 weeks of geting lab work, office still did not have results by next appt

June 30th, 2016
Wonderful!
In spite of a very busy office with many patients, Dr Miller took the time to diagnose my problem including how it has affected me personally.

June 26th, 2016
Was placed in his office. He was speaking with his IT person and had me sit and listen for approx. 7 min. He then handed me my lab report and told me to look at it while he went to the restroom. I sat there for 5 min until he returned. He asked me what I thought and when I proceeded to tell him, he waved his hand at me as though "brushing off my opinion". He would not listen to what I had to say. Needless to say, I have found another physician. He needs to retire.

April 15th, 2016
Pleasant and worthwhile
I went to Dr Miller on the recommendation of 3 friends and my doctor. He was pleasant, upbeat, and very kind. Other patients in the waiting room spoke hughly of him and had been with him a long time. He was able to listen, helped me, and explained my illness and treatment in a ways I could understand. He even gave me his home phone number in case I had questions!

September 28th, 2015
Never again!
Arrived for my appointment and was put in an examining room to wait for Dr. Miller. The nurse left the room but left the door open. I could hear Dr. Miller speaking to an elderly Hispanic gentleman who was across the hall from me and who was struggling with the English language. Dr. Miller continued speaking the patient in English which baffles me because he's supposed to be fluent in Spanish. He was so rude to the patient and spoke down to him. When the patient would try to speak Dr. Miller would silence him. A few minutes later Dr. Miller came across the hall to me. He was extremely impatient with me and would not allow me to speak while he was typing. As I was leaving I asked one of his staff members what was wrong with the Dr. and that I thought his behavior was very odd. She laughed and said, "Everybody says that." "Really?" Well, that was my first and last appointment with the strange little man. I felt so sorry for the patient who was in the room across the hall from me. There was no communicate. I'm sure the patient did what the Dr. ordered since he was there for a study. I believe patients go to him because they are anxious to get better and they have hope that his experimental studies will help them. So sad.

September 23rd, 2015
Disgrace to Medicine
Dr. Sam Miller is by far the most rude and unprofessional physician I have ever encountered. He is condecending, rude, immature and extremely arrogant. Yes, he will tell you ALL about his education at Mayo, but what good is an education with terrible bedside manners and poor people skills. Hence, his noticeable staff turnaround. You cannot speak a word until he is completely done looking at his computer, off his (sometimes personal) phone calls, or concentrating on anything other than your visit. Additionally, he is extremely cohersive when enrolling participants in his clinical trials, but claims to follow all the regulations. Do yourself a favor and save your time, money and avoid being insulted.

February 17th, 2014
Finest Internist and Endocrinologist in San Antonio
Sam Miller has been my Internist and Endocrinologist for 26 years. He took a personal interest in my treatment the first time I saw him in 1989. I found that he was very demanding of his staff and I asked him about it at one office visit where the medical assistant received more than the usual "direction." He explained the importance of this particular employee’s job functions and that as this his employee he was responsible for this person's work product and the employee’s performance was ethically and legally attributed to him as “the Doctor.” I never questioned his management style again. I've been his patient when his practice was very large and am still with him now that the size of his practice has diminished. He explained the reduction in practice size by stating that he couldn't care for as many patients now that he was more "mature" as compared to when he was younger. And the practice of Medicine today is not what is was in 1989, either, to our great loss. A matter of capacity and quality control he explained. He diagnosed and has treated my hypothyroid for many years. I had no symptoms - at least that I noticed - but he found it on my lab report. He has guided me through a weight reduction of over 70 pounds. He also diagnosed and successfully treated my hypercholesterolemia. I now have readings in the proper range for my "good cholesterol" and the converse for my "bad cholesterol" (I can never keep them straight as to which is good and which is bad – LDL or HLD - but I've been guided to "acceptable" readings of both through a combination of medication and diet, both prescribed by Dr. Sam Miller. Most recently he broke me the news that I had type II diabetes. I was inconsolable with visions of losing a foot and wheelchairs and such. He convinced me that type II diabetes, which was properly managed, would not lead to lost limbs or an early demise, and once again, through diet and medication, he has kept my blood-sugar levels down to below the pre-diabetes mark. He has little patience for stupidity and incompetence, but practices what I call "old fashioned" medicine – that being where you have a relationship with your doctor - not just a 10 or 15 minute office visit billing code on your computer generated office visit synopsis print out that will be transmitted to some NSA super-computer that tracks sick people that might go to a non-compliant Doctor. That’s the child of Obamacare. I hope those that wrote it and crammed it down our throats need a good doctor some day – not a sore throat doctor, but that they desperately need a really, really good DOCTOR – and there will be a very few, if any to treat them and their love ones, AND IT WILL BE THEIR FAULT AND HIS FAULT. I guess that I digress a bit off the topic. Back to the good news. Back to the medical treatment you can still get. Miller's a detective. Do you have a stubborn problem that other practitioners can't seem to properly diagnose; especially dealing with the endocrine system, then Dr. Sam Stanley Miller is your man. He will test you and try varying treatments until he arrives at a proper diagnosis and course of treatment. He's a bit quirky, but most geniuses are. Look past the occasional abrupt question or answer or long wait to see him - he's only trying to do his job and for that - in today's checklist practice of medicine - he is a true gem and more than just a medical doctor with somewhere between 7 and 10 years of training at the Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN -- not one of these "medicine for the old and rich Mayos" that have sprouted in Phoenix and Florida. He was there when "THE Mayo" was something special -- and he's special, partly due to his many years studying at the Mayo -- but also because he is an extraordinary person. I recommend him to you highly and without reservation, just be ready for the unusual – and that’s not all bad by any means.

March 5th, 2013
Very qualified dr, poor people skills
My diagnosis is thyroid toxicosis. Dr Miller was trained at the Mayo Clinic. His wall shows several plaques. He claimed to know thyroid disease "like the back of my hand." Yet when my levels went in 10 days from extreme low to high again and my symptoms worsened, I called him and he said it was impossible. The follow-up appt with labs proved I was correct, and he said so. This man has an extremely short attention span. The room needs to be absolutely silent while he's on the computer. And everyone needs to sit still, any movement irritates him. He's abrupt and sometimes insulting during office visits and on the phone (he accepts calls during office visits). We had more visits than expected because my symptoms worsened and they were debilitating at times. He spent alot of time with me during the visits, not ever feeling I was being rushed. I decided to change when I called him about a simple question about which OTC meds to take for my cold, and he wouldn't answer the question without having an office visit. He accused me of seeking information from him without having a visit, it was the only way to give a qualified assessment. After his lecture, we ended the phone call. I called my pharmacist and he looked up what I could take, what I should avoid. I needed to see him one last time because I was feeling poorly. That's when I told him I was changing doctors, not because of credentials, but because I was tired of being insulted. He acted shocked at this, as if no one has ever told him this. The irony: his wife, a marriage counselor, shares his office.

December 1st, 2012
Horrible dr.; a true discredit to the profession of medicine. I went to see him about a pituitary tumor, without examining me or my MRI, he diagnosed it as a prolactinoma--he was wrong!He gave me false hope that meds could fix my problem and delayed inevitable surgery by over 2 mos...do not trust.

November 14th, 2012
Have brrn seeing Dr. Miller 16 years, i should have left him a long time ago.

July 11th, 2012
Horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worst doctor i have ever been to! I do not recommend thid doctor to anyone, not even my worst enemy! Save your copay and go somewhere else