Endocrinology & Internal Medicine
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  Outstanding doctor !!!  |  show details
Sep 14th, 2014

Dr. Mayeda is an outstanding physician. He is the most thorough, and most patient doctor I've ever seen. Then it was necessary for me to move to another state -- where I tried several endocrinologists. None of the new ones held a candle to Dr. Mayeda. Now, I travel to Southern California for appointments with Dr. Mayeda -- he's is that good!.

|  Samuel Mayeda, M.D.  |  show details
by Gale Schuler, R.N., Ph.D.(psychologist) on May 11th, 2014

Dr. Mayeda has been my endocrinologist/internist for nearly 20 years. He is one of the most professional and knowledgeable physicians in his field in Orange County. He never leaves a stone unturned when it comes to diagnostics and follow through. He is an excellent collaborator with patients dealing with chronic and complex issues. He can also be counted on to educate the patient thoroughly. I recommend him without reservation. Dr. Schuler

|  Owner, Limousine Service  |  show details
by John Olsa on Apr 8th, 2014

Dr. Mayeda has been my physician since March of 2007. I was referred to him by my Cardiologist since my diabetes was out of control and the medications I was taking prescribed by the Veterans Administration Hospital were not controlling my blood sugar levels and my A1C was around 8.6 or so. Within 6 months my A1C came down to 6.3 under his care and treatment which included changing all of my diabetes medications. Over the years I have found Dr. Mayeda to be trustworthy, caring, thorough, knowledgeable, and professional. He has always been available to me whether during working hours, evenings, week-ends or holidays and even when he has been on vacation. I know of no other physician that is as accessible as he has been for me whenever I have needed medical help or care. I would recommend Dr. Mayeda unconditionally to anyone for what ever their medical needs may be. I am very thankful that he is my doctor and has always been there for me whenever I have had a medical problem.

|  I would highly recommend this doctor!  |  show details
by Margaret on Apr 5th, 2014

In the 33 years I have been a patient of Dr. Mayeda's I have always felt he has taken the time to listen to my concerns and problems. I have never felt rushed in his office, even when I knew he had a full waiting room. Handling type 1 diabetes is complex and requires a team effort. I need a doctor who works with me, advising, fine tuning, thinking out of the box at times, not judging and one who keeps up with current practices and treatment. Dr. Mayeda has been this for me. I respect him as a physician and would highly recommend him for anyone looking for a partner in their treatment.

|  Dr. Mayeda saved my life  |  show details
by Wendy N on Jan 22nd, 2014

I am a 45 year old female, living in Huntington Beach, CA. At the beginning of 2013, I started to feel ill. I went the first doctor, he diagnosed me with autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia. He sent me to do 6 weeks PT which I did not get any better. I went to see the 2nd doctor, she diagnosed me with hormone imbalance and Hashimoto, and she told me that my Hashimoto was very minor that I did not have to take any medication for it. I went to the 3rd doctor, he diagnosed me with varicose veins and also thought my symptoms were somewhat related to my thyroid. He asked me to take low dosage of thyroid pill. I did not want to take thyroid hormone without a clear diagnosis. I went to see Dr. Mayeda in September, 2013 after found out online that he was rated the best endocrinologist in Orange County. Dr. Mayeda was very patient; he reviewed all my past medical records, listened very carefully about my medical conditions and also did fiscal exam on me. My fist appointment with Dr. Mayeda lasted 1.5 hours. He made his treatment plan for me. First, I needed to do some blood tests, and also needed to do an ultrasound of my thyroid gland. The ultrasound came back and showed that I had 1.0cm nodule. Doctor Mayeda called me ASAP and arranged me to do needle biopsy. My biopsy report came back with suspicious for cancer; later on the result was confirmed by the DNA lab that I had medullary cancer. Dr. Mayeda then asked to do the blood test of Calcitonin which then also confirmed that I had medullary cancer. I had my surgery done at the end of November 2013, and now moving on with my life. All I have to say is Dr. Mayeda is the best and he saved my life, his diagnosis is accurate. Medullary cancer is a rare cancer and can be life threaten. I was lucky that I went to see Dr. Mayeda and was diagnosed at the very early stage of this cancer.

|  Told me I have acromegaly, when I've had numerous tests confirming I don't...  |  show details
Nov 10th, 2013

I am a 21 year old male, diagnosed with a pituitary microadenoma. I saw Dr. Mayeda to get a second opinion on whether or not I actually have a pituitary microadenoma. After making me wait a total of an hour and a half to see another patient, leaving several times in the middle of our appointment, and looking over my lab tests (including IGF-1 and Glucose Tolerance Test which had all come back completely normal), he basically tells me I have acromegaly- a disorder where you have an adenoma/tumor producing growth hormone, elevating IGF-1 levels beyond the normal reference range, because I have high cheekbones and quote "squishy ankles". Mind you my IGF-1 has always come back normal dating back to 2009(never even borderline normal), including the most recent time, which was 242 ng/mL (normal reference range for 21 year old male: 83-456 ng/mL), AND I passed the Glucose Tolerance test (the most accurate test which tells you if you have acromegaly or not) TWICE, which means 100 % I do not have acromegaly. He literally told me my face might "continue" to grow abnormally with an IGF-1 of 242 ng/mL. To those who aren't familiar with IGF-1 levels, that statement is MENTAL. In order for someone’s face to grow abnormally, their IGF-1 would have to at least look suspicious by being borderline normal, and mine isn't even close to being borderline. To me that statement is an insult. And to add more insult to injury, he tells me "I can't treat you"(as if I need to be treated LOL), and basically told me to wait until my face gets ruined and then come back to him. Whatever happened to PREVENTING things from happening? And that's IF I had this disease. And if I was stupid and uneducated to listen to this guy, you would think I would at least have some hope in getting the adenoma removed surgically,( cause according to him I'm at risk of having my face grow abnormally), right?! Well he tells me: "They would refuse you, because your adenoma is too small". Wow. This was just about the worst experience I've ever had with any doctor. While he may not be the worst doctor out there, there FAR better doctors than him.

|  Definite Referral for Dr Samuel Mayeda!!!  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2012

Dr. Samuel Mayeda, F.A.C.E, M.D., has given me a new lease on life. After seeing 5 doctors over 3 years for symptoms that plagued me, Dr., Mayeda was able to actually find a cure, and did so within one week of seeing him.I thought that most 49 year old females felt bad at this age, with symptoms I had been suffering from, but he proved that theory wrong! I should not feel that way, and over the past 4 months, Dr. Mayeda has made sure I was balanced and feeling much better than one of my old "best days".With his comprehensive consultation, the insight for the correct laboratory work that was needed to diagnose why I had the symptoms, and his general expertise with the endocrine system, I had my diagnosis!As his former patient due to my thyroid disease, I returned to Dr. Mayeda to help find out what was wrong with me. I was unable to afford to pay cash out of pocket, and he was no longer a provider with my insurance. He ordered the proper tests, from bloodwork, scans, x-rays, etc., to verify what he already had suspected. (His referrals were top notch, as the radiologist was able to note that I had an enlarged Parathyroid Gland that showed up. Since my calcium levels became high, he referred me to a great surgeon, due to the need for parathyroid surgery).Dr. Mayeda has been handling my followup, with his main concern in making me feel good! It's been soooo long since I've felt good - alert, brighter, etc., and his main focus is to make sure my chemicals are balanced.Dr. Mayeda is very thorough, and he makes sure that I understand exactly what is going on, and what the next treatment or therapy is. He is available to talk to me on the telephone in most cases, on the same day. He also maintains copius notes, so we can refer back easily.If it were not for Dr. Mayeda, I would still be suffering from hyperparathyroidism for many more months, as I had under the care of another Endocrinologist, prior to returning as a patient. Dr. Mayeda makes other Endocrinologists less preferred, as they do not take the time as he does, to thoroughly review the paient's case and get them on the road to recovery.I am so glad to be able to see him for regular medical care, as he is now my primary physician. I am spoiled, because he cares, and will go above and beyond other doctors to make sure of my health and well-being.Due to family history, my mother, daughter and son are all being seen by Dr. Mayeda. Myself included, we look to him to help us through the symptoms passed down through the generations.As mentioned, I am very spoiled with Dr. Mayeda as my family physician, as well as my Endocrinologist, and recommend him to everyone that has a health issue. He is the best!

|  State Farm Insurance agent, Frank Ishida  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2011

Dr. Sam Mayeda has been my primary doctor since 2004. I have found him to be extremely knowledgable in his field, very dedicated and caring. My lab reports from when I first started with him, to the last one this year, are amazing to me. The "numbers" that should be lower went down and the ones that should have been higher have gone up, all much more than I would have expected. Seeing him every 3 or 4 months, he will "tweek" my medication occationally. The only things we weren't able to improve on were the genes I recieved from my parents. I have and will continue to highly recommend him.

Jun 19th, 2011

The most caring and excellent endocrinologist I've ever met!

Apr 8th, 2011

Have known Dr. Mayeda about 25years -first as he cared for my husband, then myself, and later my adult daughter. For knowledge and compassion and professionalism, he excels in all. Spends a great amount of time explaining clearly all pertaining to their medical conditions, lab/test, etc. Phones or emails as needed as follow-up on such. Provides a "print-out" of office visit listing symptoms, findings, medications, test/lab results, which I find extremely useful. Also, lists any additional tests, medication changes, and date to return. All of this is most helpful to me and is also for my patient file. Office is well run and staff very professional, polite and quick to follow thru on any patient requests (in their realm), that is needed. Office wait time is minimal to none for a scheduled appointment. I highly recommend Dr. Mayeda and believe that he would be an excellent choice for a physician.

|  Comments on Dr. Mayeda  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

Dr. Mayeda has been my endocrinologist for over 16 years now and I have total confidence and feel that I am in such good hands with his professional services. He deeply cares for the good of his patients, as I never feel rushed when seeing him. He thoroughly reviews my blood test "in detail" and takes the time to really explain the results. His office visit print outs that are provided to me, summarizes all of the things that were explained and any medication changes, which gives me a good understanding of the status of my health. I would highly recommend the services of Dr. Mayeda to everyone. RS

|  Excellent endocrinologist  |  show details
by Diane Keddy on Sep 9th, 2010

I have had the pleasure to work with Dr. Mayeda and his patients for the past 10 years. He is the most knowledgeable and thorough physician I have ever worked with during my career. He takes the time to assess all the pertinent areas to his patient's health issues, and his follow up with his patients and other health professionals is excellent. In addition to his outstanding knowledge of endocrinology and internal medicine, he is compassionate, kind, and has an excellent bedside manner--something hard to find in the medical field these days. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an excellent physician--you will be in good hands.Diane Keddy, MS, RD, FAEDNutrition ConsultantNewport Beach, CA

Sep 9th, 2010

I'm 65 and a diabetic since 1990. I've seen about 4-5 endos in that time, including some who have good reputations, and two who don't. (Ask your trusted pharmacist to opine on their experience with the doc you're checking out. Many will tell you who the jerks are, and who have morons working on staff.)I've been with Dr. Mayeda since August of 2008, and have a good reference point from which to compare his practice with many others. Based on that experience and the length of time in his practice, I am thoroughly convinced I have one of the three best endos in Southern California on my medical team. I use Dr. Mayeda as my health provider quarterback, who I see first, then rely on his referrals as who to see for treatment outside his specialty.He has pre-tested his referrals and all that I've used bear up to his high standards of simple competence and thoroughness. This is the old classic style of medical practice where the doctor actually shows he cares and takes time to work with you.He's just the best there is, in every dimension and perspective. Forget about comparing his service to other ordinary service providers. There is no comparison. He's got the practice of medicine figured out. It's a priceless privilege to be in his practice.

Sep 8th, 2010

Samuel Mayeda, MD, FACE, FACP Dr. Mayeda is an extraordinary physician. Dr. Mayeda has been my doctor and my husband's doctor for several years and we have been extremely satisfied with all of the professional care and detail that we continue to be treated with. Dr. Mayeda was able to find a rare disease last year while caring for my husband, by meticulously going over the specialized tests and finding the direct cause. This was only found because of Dr. Mayeda's very special individualized care, day in and day out to make the appropriate diagnosis. The sensitivity with which Dr. Mayeda treated my husband was paramount to his diagnosis and ultimately to his full and complete successful recovery. I have also been under the care for a multitude of diseases by Dr. Mayeda and have received excellent and precise care you just don't find anymore. Nowadays physicians are pressured to see a multitude of patients and the patient ultimately does not receive the specialized care that is necessary. Dr. Mayeda genuinely takes the time that is necessary to fully diagnosis to the final prognosis. He is always readily available to give both my husband and myself whatever time and professional care that is necessary and this why we continue to see Dr. Mayeda as our primary physician. Dr.Mayeda's staff is always highly professional and caring to all of our needs as patients. The office staff is always highly professional,positive and responsive and this is important plus that supports us at every doctor's appointment. We highly recommend Dr. Mayeda as a consummate professional physician and he is one of the most caring and sensitive doctors we have ever had the privilege to be cared for. My husband and I will continue to have full confidence for the best care for years to come given by Dr. Mayeda. Mr. Michael Wechter and Mrs.Randyce Wechter September 8th, 2010Dr. Mayeda's Top qualities: Great Results, Personable, Expert in his field Randyce Wechter hired Samuel in 2005, and hired him/her more than once.

|  Dr. Mayeda is an outstanding physician specialist  |  show details
by Grant Hieshima, MD on Sep 8th, 2010

Dr. Mayeda is thorough caring and knowledgeable. He has provided excellent care for me on an outpatient and inpatient basis for the past 12 years. I am a retired physician specialist with 20 years in academic medicine and feel fortunate to have him as my endocrinologist. I would give him my highest recommendation and deepest gratitude for the medical care that he has given me for all these years. He also has an excellent staff.

Aug 27th, 2010

Early office hours of 7am! Blood draws in office ! Dr.Mayeda takes the time to listen to all concerns. 5 stars!

Jul 6th, 2010

Look up Dr. Mayeda on linkedin.com!!!

Jun 11th, 2010

Intelligent, caring, physician. He listens to what you have to say and takes it seriously.

by Henry Damigella on Mar 6th, 2010

The gold standard in endocrinology. Dr. Mayeda is responsive and detail-oriented.He is patent-centered, caring, intelligent, professional,communicative and genuine

|  Documents and Time  |  show details
by L. Snyder on Feb 24th, 2010

Dr. Mayeda, HE is as good as it gets. He has spent hours listening to me and documenting everything I have said and everything he does. He is Great. Any Doctor that takes such great notes and can go back to them for reference is Number One in my book. I have gone to Doctors in the past for years and they always had to start from scratch every time I would visit. The other doctors would have me wait for at least 45 min. just to see them. I challenge anyone to find a more knowledgeable, caring and reporting doctor.

Apr 26th, 2009

Concentrated on his PC while he questioned me. Did not look at me.

|  Gold Standard  |  show details
by Henry Damigella on Feb 9th, 2009

More than a physician...a real blessing!Best of the best!