Dr. Sanford Lax MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Livonia, MI

February 6th, 2015
The most condescending, rude, and arrogant doctor I have ever come into contact with, and apparently cannot stand to be questioned - definitely a God Complex going on.
Dr Lax spoke over me when I tried to ask questions or explain my symptoms. When he said I needed an expensive procedure, I asked him if he thought it was really necessary because I didn't have much money. He literally sneered at me and said "It's only 20%," meaning my copay. 20% of that procedure was about 60% of my monthly income. He misdiagnosed me with IBS, when in actuality I had gallstones. I ended up going to the ER and was then sent to St Joe's Ann Arbor, where I spent 5 days fighting off infections of my gallbladder, liver, and pancreas, after which I had my gallbladder removed. Dr Lax also sent a prescription to my pharmacy for a medication that we never even discussed, and that had nothing to do with the conditions he was treating me for. On top of that, he failed to send a prescription for an emergency inhaler for my asthma, which was extremely important. By the end of my appointment, I was almost in tears. Dr Lax was so rude, arrogant, and condescending, and acted like I was stupid and unimportant. If you are completely ignorant of your health and have no interest in learning about your conditions, feel free to see Dr Lax. Otherwise avoid him at all costs.

October 16th, 2013
Best anywhere - worth the hour drive it now takes me
I have used Dr. Lax as my primary physician on and off (occasionally ‘off’ only because of distance) for over 22 years. When I read reviews that say he is rude or egotistical, I cannot believe they are seeing the same physician who helped me deliver 6 of my 7 babies, and has seen me in all manner of emotional and physical health. There are many issues on which we do not personally agree, and yet I have NEVER found him condescending or rude; he is respectful of my opinions, knowing this is *my* health or *my* children we are discussing and, bottom line, the decision is mine. Sure, he’ll try to sway me to his side – that’s his job, to educate his patients on what he feels is best. I have also found him willing to learn and even change his thoughts on something if, after careful study, he feels it is the best option. He is humble (and believe me, I have dealt with egotistical doctors!), he is funny, he is compassionate, he cares about his patients. If you occasionally have to wait (I’ve never had an unreasonable wait, in any of the 4 offices I’ve been in), it’s probably because he is listening to the patient before you. I have been seen or had my kids seen faster in a clinic but by a dr. who took all of 3 minutes to dx & rx - not something I wished to repeat! I am nearly an hour from his current office but started seeing him again because I simply cannot find a physician of his caliber and temperament anywhere closer to me.

July 4th, 2012
overated
Dr.Lax is egostical. If you do not agree with him he gets very rude and reminds you who is in charge, that he is.He only see's his point of view.

October 28th, 2009
i'm 63 years old have had plenty of dr.s i rate him a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10

January 4th, 2009
Best Doc I've Ever Had
Excellent doc for 10 years for my entire family including 4 young children. Treats each patient with care and individuality. Pays attention. And he's funny to boot.