Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Terrible experience show details Terrible experience
by LNuckolls on Mar 30th, 2015

by lnuckolls on Mar 30th, 2015 What a terrible experience. I had a spiral fracture of the ring finger. My only contact with the MD was during an initial eval (his PA actually did most of this,)I think I saw him again very briefly prior to surg. A week after my surgery,, the PT in his employ, removed my sutures (I was told typically these stay in 2 wks) The suture line opened like a zipper. The finger became infected. I was seen in the ER and returned daily x 2 for IV antibiotics. I was approved, presumably by Dr. D. to switch to oral antibxs and travel, on day 3. As the oral antibx rx ran out, the finger was stable but still smelly, swollen, red with purulent drainage . When I called the office to find out if they felt I should continue antibx's, he distained to speak to me, ( the office nurse was apologetic as he was standing next to her) and through her advised if I felt I needed an eval, I could come back to VA. Instead I found an UCC in Holden Beach, NC. The staff MD expressed concerned over the possibility of MERSA, and treated me successfully for the infection. I was scheduled to see the PA on my final visit, so I demanded to see the MD instead of being released by his PA. His bedside manner was trivializing , he did not speak to what had happened to me and I felt he was far more concerned with his income that with patient safety. I have established with another very competent orthopedic group and , I'm grateful I have the ability to steer our company employees away from the possibility of a similar experience.

Doctor's Response

I am very sorry that this happened. Had you been in Richmond, I would have accommodated you into my schedule immediately. If a patient is out of town and an infection is questioned, I would not be able to assess it by phone. I would have encouraged the patient to come in to be checked. Once the patient came back to the office for his/her follow-up, if the situation was resolved and the site looked good, no additional treatment would be required. It seems as though there may have been additional misunderstandings. I would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have if you are willing to visit and speak with me.

Feb 9th, 2015

My overall experience was exceptional. He was very thorough and able to diagnose the correct plan of action for my issue. I will definitely go back to Dr. Desai should I need services again and would definitely recommend him to family and friends.

On my way to recovery! show details On my way to recovery!
by Teresa W. on May 20th, 2014

I broke my finger early in the year and Dr. Desai surgically repaired the break. His professionalism, and general concern eased my anxieties. I highly recommend Dr. Desai, and his PT staff, for any hand injury.

Excellent Doc! show details Excellent Doc!
by Barb Talbott on Jan 26th, 2009

Dr. Desai treated me for Avascular Necrosis of my hips by doing a Free Vascularized Fibular Graft on both hips. He's an excellent surgeon, a compassionate, patient doctor, and (an excellent sign) there was many a nurse at the hospital he treated me at that thought very highly of him! I have recommended him to many, many folks.