Dr. Scott Carder MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

April 11th, 2015
STAY AWAY FROM DR. SCOTT CARDER!!!!
This man is beyond neglectful in everyday shape and form. I was misdiagnosed by this man, he abandoned the relationship with my saying he "was too old to treat me", and still refuses to get me my medical records so I can get the care I need. This man is a disgrace for a Dr. and it's frightening that someone like this would even get to practice.

December 26th, 2014
Intelligent and Caring - Hard to Find These Days
Dr. Carder spends appropriate time and so you when you see him, you won't get the usual script and boot. He listens attentively and perhaps also provides CBT to accompany medication. I find he genuinely cares, as he follows up with you on previous discussions and always returns calls even if it's you having a moment of panic about nothing to do with his medication/service. In summary, it's hard to find pdocs that make the time to properly assess before doling out meds.

April 10th, 2013
Professional, compassionate psychotherapist, not a pill-dispenser.
Dr. Carder was highly recommended at a NAMI Conference (National Assoc. on Mental Illness) as an excellent diagnostician, and a psychiatrist who really spends time with you, does not just dispense pills and collect checks. He is the rare psychiatrist who holds regular 50-minute sessions (mine are twice a week) to get to know you to make an informed diagnosis and medications, if needed. Til then, I had seen psychiatrists who saw me for 15 minutes, quickly wrote an RX, and then I'd see a 'therapist' separately. I was always uncomfortable with this approach and the disconnect between therapy and medication. Dr. Carder is the answer to this. He is "old school," thank goodness. He conducts our sessions in a way that gets to key issues and nails them right away. If you need medications, he is very very knowledgeable, He is is also interested to help you learn new skills so you may not have to take medications--or as many. I believe in taking my meds regularly, but in my short time with him, I am learning new skills. He always gives me one specific 'assignment' to try in the coming week and he follows up to see how it went. He genuinely cares. The one thing that surprised me was he did ask the same questions several times, and I worried if he was keing things straight. I attribute it to the fact that we had just begun, and now things have straightened out. He answers his own phone, returns messages promptly, called me immediately--after meeting me once!-- when I was across the country having problems with a med, which he fixed! No one is perfect or right for everyone, but of the many doctors I've seen, all I can say is I wish I'd met him sooner. I have complete faith in him. He is a gentle, genuine and caring professional with years of training and experience. I left his office the first time knowing my life was taking a new turn for the better, and it has. Never thought I'd find a doctor like him.

July 23rd, 2012
Dr. Scott Carder Gave Bad Advice And Has Questionable Motives
I was referred to Dr Carder by a psychiatrist who claimed to have no knowledge of how to fill out the proper forms for filing a disability claim.Despite the fact that Dr Carder was willing to sign these forms, he completely ignored my statement that my temporary mental condition was caused by unusually hostile conditions at work. He stated that in order to facilitate the receipt of benefits, he was going to indicate that this was not a work-related injury.I reiterated that I felt very much that this was a work-related injury, and that his assessment was not one that could be made after only one visit. I offered to show evidence of the things I was experiencing, but instead of taking the time to consider things more deeply, he seemed more interested in doing what was easiest for himself.It is for this reason that I believe Dr Carder is uncaring, at least in terms of the welfare of this patient, and at worst cares only about the certainty that his fees will be paid by the healthcare coverage of my former employer.

May 11th, 2012
Experienced professional- I don't know how can be better
I refused to go.. But he need my opinion on my other one. he could not hear..so I have to speak loud.[now fixed].. I had an attitude what would white man would know about me.. Now what 3 yrs or so?? It took me 1-2 yrs . You think he does not listen? Yes he does. holy cow, he brought out things that I said @ first session. You think he asks general question? cause you are bull***ing.( maybe not..don't know really) I thought I was clever..and the life is what is it..I know all. ..Now I am getting better, slowly, baby step... Good stuff

October 5th, 2011
Puzzled about the other detailed review of April 2011
I have gone to Dr. Carder for about six years. Rating office staff is "not applicable"--he has no staff; you deal directly with him (hooray!). He hit my diagnosis accurately based on my symptoms of six years ago. Unless a diagnosis is found, in retrospect, to be so far off that the physician should be banned from psychiatry, I do not think it's fair for any of us consumers to judge accuracy. However, I will say that he nailed my diagnosis on the first visit, addressed my intellectual concerns by recommending two books, etc. I suspect he has different techniques for different people. I, too, thought he went over old statements long after they seemed relevant, but that might be a deliberate attempt on his part to revisit the consumer's statements and concerns (and not a memory problem on his part). I really like his manner, his after-hours accessibility in an emergency, etc. No one is perfect, and the best of any of us will fail to be good match for some of our patients/clients. That's simply human chemistry. I like the guy and have referred several people to him. One couple praised him on my voice mail after their first office visit. The best approach: give a professional a try for yourself, and maybe more than one chance. Give him feedback about what you expect or hope for out of his/her services and see if your needs can be met before bailing out and starting all over again somewhere else.

April 13th, 2011
Very Disappointed
Dr. Carder has a terrible memory and doesn't even pretend to remember anything about you. He asks the same generic questions (ones with factual answers that don't change) during every session and for some reason seems surprised when you state the same answers you always gave during previous sessions. He gives alarmingly little thought to proper administration and management of medication, and he doesn't even bother to ask about the status of major, life-interrupting side affects that you've complained of during previous sessions. Unfortunately and unbelievably, the only thing that Dr. Carder expresses consistent concern for is payment matters (including payment details that have already been discussed and taken care of several weeks prior). I typically would not express a negative opinion of someone else's work in a public forum, but in this case I feel I must so that others who are need of real psychiatric/psychological care can avoid an experience similar to mine.