Physiatrists
45 Castro St
Ste 200
San Francisco, CA 94114
415-600-7710
Locations and availability (1)

|  Outstanding Specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation  |  show details
Feb 7th, 2014

This is the first time that I have ever written an online review; however, the blatant falsehoods and disparaging remarks about Dr. Scott Rome in the posting of October 9, 2011, "Big title … little respect", were so egregiously untrue and misleading that I feel compelled to offer an opposing viewpoint. Last year alone, due to an escalating series of health problems, my primary care physician referred me to more than a dozen specialists, many of whom were competent, others less so; however, not one of them could be compared with Dr. Rome, the finest doctor I have ever known. As a patient under his treatment for a chronic condition for several years, I have received considerable relief from pain. From my many experiences with other specialists and thorough knowledge of Dr. Rome's medical care, I believe myself well qualified to evaluate his merit and professionalism. Dr. Rome is unfailingly compassionate, kind, and respectful. He is also consistently prompt, I have yet to wait more than five minutes to be seen, and frequently, I do not even have time to sit down before I am escorted to a room by a member of his staff, all of whom are equally efficient, courteous and personable in their interactions with patients. If I have to phone the doctor’s office for any reason, I am never placed on hold for a lengthy period of time. Usually, I am immediately able to accomplish the purpose of the call. All staff members always greet me by name. As I am leaving, unprompted, they hand me a print-out with the schedule of all my upcoming appointments Dr. Rome is extraordinarily generous with his time. He always begins our appointments by inquiring about my general health, the progress of medical conditions unrelated to his specialty, my current exercise routine, and my eating habits. He also always checks to verify I am following his recommended, at-home medical regime (i.e., exercise, stretching, and diet). Only after having listened attentively to my responses to his series of questions does he begin the actual treatment. He always explains in layman's terms what options are available to me. His approach is conservative, in that surgery would only be considered as an option if my condition were to worsen and there was no other choice. He makes certain that I understand the reason behind his choices. If he is giving me an injection, he will always warn me: "You are going to feel a little pinch, and immediately you should feel some relief." He does not use steroids, at least, in my case. His concern seems genuine, not the usual, transparently artificial Professional Smile. He is also very personable. For instance, if during one month I have not managed to follow his medical advice, he impresses upon me the paramount importance of consistency with regard to my at-home regime with sensitivity and humor. In other words, he never chides me in a demeaning manner or creates a hierarchy between himself, "the Doctor" and me, "the patient”. You would be fortunate to consult Dr. Rome, and I recommend him in the strongest possible terms.

|  Big title.... little respect  |  show details
Oct 9th, 2011

I acquired a brain injury in 2007 and was hospitalized at Cal Pac Medical (where Dr Rome is the alleged director).Since being released, I am only just now seeking followup care and, I consulted Dr Rome since I was under his care in 2007.WHAT A MISTAKE!Dr Rome made false implications about my integrity because "people with your (my) type of brain injury do this type of stuff...". Essentially, he wrote a prescription and gave me directions for it MONTHS prior to when I was actually able to make an appointment with the neuropsych he referred me to (she went on a 5 week vacation).I made an HONEST MISTAKE and took the medication according to what I 'remembered' the directions stated (I misplaced the directions).I notified him and the neuropsych when I found the directions that stated I was not supposed to have taken them.After playing phone tag for WEEKS (he too went on vacation ... then the neuropsych went on ANOTHER vacation), Dr Rome basically (in ot so many words) said it was a 'test' to see if I would take the medication.OK fair enough but whats NOT APPROPRIATE is unprofessional non-communication by both HE and the neropsych.HE told me he would send me a new script for another medication and he would send it THAT DAY. TWO WEEKS LATER = NOTHING arrived. HMM did he forget? Honest mistake right? SURE but, that doesnt mean he's dishonest does it?I guess its okay for him to forget obligations but not his patients?HYPOCRITE!!Furthermore:after researching Dr Rome's medical expertise, I learned he has a high concentration in physical medicine however, not in brain medicine. WHY IS HE IN CHARGE OF A BRAIN INJURY dept?!?!?Last but not least, in an office appointment with him, he said "you may choose another Dr..." which was his response to my concerns regarding the neuropsych DOCTOR.... So, I found another AMAZING neuropsych and, I tok the time to forward all of the info to his office so he and they could connect.The next day I received a message to call his office. (WOW I NEVER GET SERVICE THAT FAST FROM HIM!!) His office staff was RUDE and told me that "Dr Rome said you could choose another DOCTOR..." Apparently I should be able to read minds - he didnt mean finding another neuropsych. He meant finding another MD. (Apparently he was in his own way 'threatening' me- to go find another Dr to help me.Dr Rome is one of the most unprofessional Dr's I have ever had to deal with. He has an incredible chip on his shoulder and, doesnt sincerely care for his patients.