Dr. Scott Smilen MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

October 3rd, 2016
Great Doctor - Appalling Scheduling Practices
I will start off by saying that Dr. Smilen himself was wonderful at the one appointment I was able to get with him. I had been referred to him by my regular GYN after some on-going issues and she recommended I see a specialist. The initial appointment was not terribly difficult to book and they were accommodating as I did need to reschedule once (with plenty of notice) as I had to fly out of the country for work. When I got to the office for Dr. Smilen it was a bit chaotic as it appears to be a large practice with many doctors and my wait was about 20 minutes before being seen by the doctor. After my initial consultation and exam he wanted me to stay for some follow up tests, however, already being out of my office for over an hour I told them I would need to reschedule. That was my first mistake as I should have rescheduled then and there but figured best to do via phone (as there was a long line at the front desk). I called Dr. Smilen's office and navigated the lengthy call directly prompts. Finally when I reached the appointments number, I received a voicemail recording and left a voicemail to be called back. Unfortunately, at the time of this call back I was on another work related call that I could not just drop off of and leave. Shortly after I called back and again received the same voicemail recording. Thinking there must be a better way to get in contact with someone there, I tried other prompts on the call directory and even after speaking to a few people they would just direct be back to the voicemail. This happened for a few weeks. During this time I had a lot of personal matters and travel plus my symptoms had started to subside a bit so the appointment wasn't so top of mind. However, recently with the symptoms starting back up again I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to get an appointment. I left another 2 voicemails and requested kindly that they try me either very early in the morning or later in the afternoon/early evening as most of my middays are consumed with conference calls. No response. No call back. Nothing. At this point my mother, who has been a nurse for 40 years and now works to help patients schedule appointments within the same network, was pushing me to find another doctor however I really wanted to try and get this appointment set with Dr. Smilen as one I liked him as a doctor and two I did not want to have to rehash everything and why I was there with a new doctor. I finally am able to get some people on the phone (although at one point was put on hold for 20 minutes and eventually hung up and called back) and when the women responsible for scheduling called me back said the only available appointment was for Oct 19th...over 2 weeks away! When I once again stated how frustrated I was by the lack of response to my calls (it was this woman's voicemail box I was hitting and leaving messages for) there was no attempt to make this better or figure something out. I do hope that Dr. Smilen or NYU see this as this treatment of patients is unacceptable and can easily be managed better.

April 11th, 2016
Good luck getting someone to answer the phone.
The hardest hurdle to getting to see Dr. Smilen is trying to get an appointment. You get tossed to voice mail, every time. You end up in the phone queue from h_ll. We like him...the question is how to get an appointment? Maybe it's time for someone else.

March 29th, 2016
beware
i was uncomfortable with him. i would never go back

February 5th, 2016
Kind compassionate and caring.
Explained all aspects of my surgery and recovery. Answered all of my questions with precise and accurate information. Eternally grateful for such a c ...

February 5th, 2016
ETERNALLY GRATEFUL SOR SUCH A COMPETENT SURGEON
KIND, COMPASSIONATE AND PROFESSIONAL EXPLAINED AND DESCRIBED ALL ASPECTS OF MY SURGERY AND RECOVERY WITH PRECISE AND ACCURATE INFORMATION.

December 2nd, 2015
Outstanding doctor. Spent all the time with me that I needed

November 30th, 2015
not good
very unprofessional to say the least. late hurried and had the wrong lab results

July 27th, 2012
Uncaring
For those paitients who have had a good experiece are lucky. I currently have certain issues that need to be taken care of every 6 months will whenever I make an appointment I receive a phone call from his secratray telling me that my appointment has been cancelled. The seceratry called to confirm my appointment, a day before my appiontment in which I TOOK A DAY off FROM WORK again and guess what I received a phone call two hours before my appointment notifying me that Dr. Smilen can't see me and that she will call me back to reschdule; it has been one month!! Never heard from Dr.Smilen's office to reschdule. I think that is RUDE

June 20th, 2012
Recent patient of Dr Scott Smilen and Nurse Hitomi Kawakatsu
Dr Smilen and Rn Kawakatsu is one of the best Gyn Surgeon and Nurse around! They treated my mom with such care and understanding. The surgery went extremely well and mom was back on her feet within a few hours. Dr Smilen did a great job! Nurse Hitomi is so wonderful with my mom and took great care of my mom. Hitomi was so gentle and carefully did the testing. My mom and I cannot express our appreciation to this team!

June 18th, 2012
Great surgeon presents himself to be caring and gentle and your examination will be pain free. However, doesn't follow-up or calls you with the results of procedures such as sonograms and/or urine cultures. Easily angers especially if you call more than twice for your results and upon your next physical examination it will NOT be pain free!

August 9th, 2011
love him...
after 5 years of suffering and going to 3 different doctors, Dr. Smilen's diagnosis and surgery safed my life. i will be forever grateful to him.

July 17th, 2011
In my opinion , Scott Smilen, MD is a very excellent doctor.