Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Surgeon
NYUMC OB GYN Associates
530 1st Ave
New York, NY 10016
212-263-0395
Locations and availability (6)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Terrible  |  show details
by Tina on Jun 25th, 2013

I cannot believe the nerve of this guy. He touts himself as a top surgeon. He ruined me. He did my surgery and completely ignored my calls about the issues after surgery, When i finally got him on the phone after 3 days of calling his emergency phone call line he yelled at me to tell me i call to much and that i should have just gone to the emergency room. I am in so much pain - i will never go back to him and you shouldnt either,

|  Gyno Guest | Uncaring and not helpful at all  |  show details
Feb 13th, 2013

I've been dealing with an overactive bladder since September of last year. I wake up 3-6 times every night and am very tired after months of this. Dr. Smilen is the second doctor I've seen about my dilemma. The other day, I had my second appointment to follow up since nothing got better since the first one. After waiting for him for about 30 minutes, he came into the room and advised me to stop drinking anything after 6 pm; cut out all caffeinated drinks; and come see him in 6 weeks if the problem still exists. So now I'm supposed to not drink anything after 6 pm for the rest of my life? That's the solution? Then, in reference to the lack of sleep I'm getting, he said that I'm 22 and therefore very young, so I can afford to lose a little sleep. I find that to be really rude and inconsiderate. I have been negatively affected in my day to day life by this lack of sleep, and don't believe I should have to continue for an even longer period because I'm "young" and not "old." Also, I'd like to note that after going for about 6 months, waking up several times every night, I've lost more than just a "little" sleep. I was really looking forward to getting a good solution to this problem, but all I felt leaving was disappointed and as if I wasted my time.

|  Uncaring  |  show details
Jul 27th, 2012

For those paitients who have had a good experiece are lucky. I currently have certain issues that need to be taken care of every 6 months will whenever I make an appointment I receive a phone call from his secratray telling me that my appointment has been cancelled. The seceratry called to confirm my appointment, a day before my appiontment in which I TOOK A DAY off FROM WORK again and guess what I received a phone call two hours before my appointment notifying me that Dr. Smilen can't see me and that she will call me back to reschdule; it has been one month!! Never heard from Dr.Smilen's office to reschdule. I think that is RUDE

|  Recent patient of Dr Scott Smilen and Nurse Hitomi Kawakatsu  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2012

Dr Smilen and Rn Kawakatsu is one of the best Gyn Surgeon and Nurse around! They treated my mom with such care and understanding. The surgery went extremely well and mom was back on her feet within a few hours. Dr Smilen did a great job! Nurse Hitomi is so wonderful with my mom and took great care of my mom. Hitomi was so gentle and carefully did the testing. My mom and I cannot express our appreciation to this team!

Jun 18th, 2012

Great surgeon presents himself to be caring and gentle and your examination will be pain free. However, doesn't follow-up or calls you with the results of procedures such as sonograms and/or urine cultures. Easily angers especially if you call more than twice for your results and upon your next physical examination it will NOT be pain free!

|  love him...  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2011

after 5 years of suffering and going to 3 different doctors, Dr. Smilen's diagnosis and surgery safed my life. i will be forever grateful to him.

Jul 17th, 2011

In my opinion , Scott Smilen, MD is a very excellent doctor.

|  See another Dr  |  show details
Jul 15th, 2011

I had the following tests done: pap smear, bone density, ultrasound and never received the results. I received my results from my Internal doctor not my OBGYN Dr.Smilen

by Jacqueline Helfrich on Jul 24th, 2010

He was the the best Doctor I have had in a long time. He took care with answering all my questions. He was not insulted when I asked about his knowledge. He was only professional and put me at ease. He is a great sugern but even a better doctor because he listens and does not dismiss the patient. I thought his staff and team that worked WITH him not under him were all the same caliber of person and he will help to train fine doctors like himself (birds of feather). Thank you all.

|  GREAT MD!!  |  show details
by NJ on Jun 17th, 2010

Dr. Smilen is the best! I can't say enough kind words about him and his staff. He carefully explained the diagnosis and the various approaches.I was thrilled with the results. Finally - no discomfort!! I can run, workout.. I'm back to being me.

|  Smilen Scott Md is a wonderful doctor.  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Nov 10th, 2009 on insiderpages.com

Dr. Smilen is a wonderful gynecologist with an additional specialty in urogynecology, which is not very easy to find. He is warm, caring, s...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  Top Doctor  |  show details
by annonymus on May 29th, 2009

Dr. Smilen is an excellent doctor. Takes time to explain his diagnosis and shows profesionalism. He is very caring with patients.

Jan 22nd, 2009

Caring and reserved bedside manner. Excellent surgeon.