Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Sam L. on May 25th, 2016

I have been treating with Dr. Houston for several months now and I have to say he is the only Dr. that took the time to listen to my issues and concerns. He thoroughly evaluated me in relation to my complaints of migraines, almost constant facial pressure/pain, as well as the annoying/painful ear pressure I was living with. I work in the medical field besides having a laundry list of issues that have lent me the dubious distinction of exposure to many different types of "bedside manners". While I will grant you Dr Houston may SEEM short with the patient, he is in my opinion respectful and compassionate in his overall manner. It can just as overwhelming for the physician when a patient comes in for help and may have gone to several other of the same type of doctor and unfortunately hasn't had the results they may have been hoping for. They, myself included tend to bring all that negative experience with them. Best to leave that type of thinking at the door and allow him to begin on a fresh slate to help the patient accomplish a more comfortable quality of life. That is hard, I know, but through this thinking and in conjunction with his level of expertise. I am scheduled to have surgery with him to correct several issues in just a weeks time...and I couldn't be more at ease or sure of the fact that I ended up in the right hands for my care. I will absolutely write another review post operatively to further review that aspect of my care with Dr. Houston. So, I truly hope that if you are a frustrated patient that has been through several other docs that just didn't get it done, that you can see plenty of us have had the same type of experience....BUT IT'S TIME TO MOVE FORWARD. With Dr. Houston you won't be sorry.

Mar 18th, 2016

Dr. Houston was very good. I would recommend him.

by Tina F. on Dec 17th, 2015

I have to say I am beyond shocked at these reviews written below. Dr. Houston is not only a phenomenal doctor, he is a phenomenal individual. I have had the absolute pleasure to have worked as his assistant and right-hand man for 5 years previously. Believe me when I say this, I am NOT being biased either by writing this review. It is upsetting to see how so many people are quick to judge someone's character. Although Coastal Ear Nose and Throat is an extremely busy medical office, each doctor there has a limited amount of time to spend with each patient. The demands put on them daily are much of which most people could not handle, trust me, I have seen it and been around it first hand. As far as Dr. Houston reportedly having "bad bedside manner", some could take it that way, but it is more of him getting straight to the point and being able to help his patients instead of beating-around the bush. Most people think they need to explain every little thing or tell their entire history and in most cases they don't. The doctor and staff are already 10 steps ahead of you. He is extremely intelligent and one of the most sincere, kind-hearted, respected doctor I have met. Anyone I have known who has met him or got to know him on a professional level have all said the same thing, "He is amazing in every way." I have the upmost respect for Dr. Houston, always have, always will and for anyone who may have had a "bad experience", well I am sorry for you, but I would trust my life and anyone else's in his hands without a doubt.

Nov 4th, 2015

Dr. Houston did my husband's Septoplast for his deviated septum. He answered all of his questions and my husband did wonderfully after surgery. He is direct, professional and to the point. I would recommend him to anyone who wants direct, straight forward answers.

Worst bed side manner !!! show details Worst bed side manner !!!
by Robert on Sep 27th, 2015

Dr Houston examined my 80 year old mother. He has the worst bedside manner I have ever experienced. He was nasty because we thought she seasonal allergies and told us no she has 3 separate problems. He examined her and had her in pain . He told us in a very condescending way the next steps for treatment . His assistant was rude and rushed my mother at the end as he left quickly for the next patient. It was a Saturday and it was obvious they were rushing to get out. I read other reviews after and it confirmed that Dr Houston is abrupt and doesn't even introduce himself. If he doesn't like caring for older patients and being sensitive to the patients concerns he should only treat non seniors. I am a former Pharmacy Director , years in health care and have. Never seen such bad physican behavior.

AMAZING. AWESOME. WONDERFUL. KIND show details AMAZING. AWESOME. WONDERFUL. KIND
Sep 23rd, 2015

Dr. Houston is awesome! He's intelligent, confident, compassionate, witty, knowledgeable and kind. I saw him for a concern with my neck and he gave me a thorough exam and explained everything to me. I went to him on a recommendation from my brother, boyfriend and three neighbors who all loved him. I feel the same way. I've read some negative reviews about him and I just don't see it. He is amazing and I will absolutely be back!

Sports Fan show details Sports Fan
by Steve F on May 19th, 2015

Fellow sports fan. Nice guy, good treatment. Recommend.

Feb 5th, 2015

The most arrogant, condescending, egomaniac of a bully that I have ever seen in my life. Does not listen or examine you. Talks down to you and treats you like you are stupid. Whatever you do, don't ask a question! Will never see him again or return to the practice.

Jan 15th, 2015

I went to Dr Houston due to having a clogged ear and tinnitus for several weeks. As a healthcare provider myself I pay extra attention to bedside manner and thoroughness. Dr. Houston was very quick to say all of my ear problems were related to TMJ....never considered this could be related to my sinuses...actually never took the time to ask me about any other symptoms. I decided to get a second opinion and turns out it was all related to a sinus infection that continued to linger on for weeks. Bottom line....don't waste your time with someone who clearly does not have the compassion to be a doctor.

Arrogrant, condescending doctor show details Arrogrant, condescending doctor
Dec 12th, 2014

Terrible bedside manner. No empathy. Couldn't wait to get out of the exam room. Didn't care about my problem. I would never see him again under any circumstances.

mom of a patient show details mom of a patient
by nicole on Aug 14th, 2014

My son was in so much pain and this dr took the time to care for him in a gentle manner. He has great manners and is extremely friendly.

Displeased patient show details Displeased patient
Jul 21st, 2014

I accompanied my 80 yo mother to an appt with Dr Houston to discuss findings and treatment options for a suspicious mass on her thyroid. Dr Houston was exceptionally arrogant and condescending. He was dismissive of our questions and concerns, and seemed more interested in having his assistant at the computer upcode the consult visit code (higher code, higher revenue) rather than listening to us and addressing my mother's fear and confusion. My mother had been to see Houston on a prior visit and had same experience, so she'd asked me to please come with her to this session where we'd learn what all the test results said and determine what the best next steps should be. She and I could not wait to get out of there and find another physician to work with. Would never go back and never recommend this physician. He may have good surgical skills, but his interpersonal skills are sorely lacking.

Awful show details Awful
by Kristy L on Jun 14th, 2014

He is arrogant and rushes through appointments. He had his hand on the door literally while I was asking him questions. This wasn't our first visit. Makes ridiculous analogies that don't make sense.

God Like Complex show details God Like Complex
Jun 2nd, 2014

Dr. Houston bedside manner is the worst I have ever experienced. He even went as far as to liken my procedure to a Winnebago. He spent the entire appointment talking down to me and rushed through my appointment. Every time I tried to explain my 10 year ongoing issues with my ears, he interrupted and started to talking about “trying out a Winnebago” and I was never given the opportunity to explain my history or my symptoms. When I expressed my hesitation about the procedure because the last 2 times I experienced a severe infection with pain his exact words were “if you have a raging infection no one should ever experiences pain”. As much as I could not believe what I was hearing, I am sure he said it as he repeated the exact phrase three times. He wanted me to know that no infection is painful and it was all in my head. Needless to say, I will never see him again.

by liz m. on May 18th, 2014

dr houston was professional, warm, and knowledgeable. will absolutely visit again.

Worth the wait! show details Worth the wait!
May 14th, 2014

I first saw him as a new patient and he was so pleasant. He introduced himself right away (not many doctors do this). I did have to wait a few to see him but it was worth it. I would recommend him to anyone that needs an ENT.

Friendly staff and Doctor show details Friendly staff and Doctor
Mar 22nd, 2014

This office was able to see me when my previous ENT could not "fit me into the schedule today". They are the friendliest large staff office I have ever encountered. Dr. Houston listened to my concerns and needs, then explained what he could do to help me. He works very deliberately and quickly but not rushed, then is on to the next patient. I felt very confident and comfortable in his care and am happy to recommend Dr. Houston and his staff.

I broke my nose show details I broke my nose
Feb 20th, 2014

Friendly and informative, prompt surgery date, excellent care.

Cool Doc show details Cool Doc
by Coolidge Macgee on Jan 10th, 2014

My mom took me to see this guy for a sinus infection. Had to get a scope in my nose which was totally not cool but I have to say, he had me cracking up and chillin after he saw how nervous I was. He knows alot about music and movies and actually talked to me not just my mom. He was actually interested in what I had to say and he has 9!! kids of his own so he gets it. If I ever have to go back, I won't be nervous next time.

Excellent show details Excellent
by CharlieHorse on Nov 15th, 2013

I really like this doc and this office. I've been to other area ENT's and I like him the best. I would recommend to anyone, anytime.

Awesome show details Awesome
Aug 5th, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews here. When I went to see Dr. Houston, the office was very busy, but I had used there patient portal to fill in my paperwork ahead of time, so when I got there, the wait wasn't bad. Dr. Houston was kind, answered all of my questions, and seemed genuinely concerned about me. All in all, I was very happy with my experience. BTW, I have never been to a doctor that was any good and not had to wait awhile. The best doctors always have a packed schedule.

Thank you Dr Houston show details Thank you Dr Houston
Nov 5th, 2012

Dr Houston treats his patient like family. He always has a kind word and gives me the time I need. He treats me, my daughter and my grandaughter. Can't say enough good things about him. I would definitely recommend him to the young and old.

We love Dr Houston show details We love Dr Houston
Aug 2nd, 2012

Multiple family members have seen Dr Houston and we would not go anywhere else. He is kind, explains things in an understandable way and you can tell he really cares about you. He is very thorough. I can't say enough good things about him.

What an awesome Guy show details What an awesome Guy
May 26th, 2012

He is patient, Kind, and good with kids. He will go above and beyond for you give him your time/respect and he will do awesome

First Time patient show details First Time patient
Jan 11th, 2012

Waited over an hour and he spent 5 minutes with me. I felt like I was interrupting him.

Misdiagnosis show details Misdiagnosis
Dec 9th, 2011

Tried to schedule unnecessary surgery.Make sure you get a second opinion before undergoing any surgical procedure with this doctor. He also owns surgical center. Perhaps there is a conflict of interest there.

Apr 21st, 2011

Yes, I would recommend Dr. Houston (AAA)His, staff was also great.

Mar 10th, 2011

Dr. Houston was patient, understanding and had a good bedside manner.

Mar 10th, 2011

Even though I did have to wait a while to see the doctor, it was worth the wait. He explained everything until I understood. So compassionate.

The Very Best show details The Very Best
Mar 1st, 2011

I love Dr. Houston. He has been the best in treating my sinus problems. I suffered for years and was afraid to have surgery. He did balloon sinuplasty on me, didn't even need packing and I went to work the next day. Amazing! I feel great. No more headaches! Dr. Houston literally changed my life.

by Michelle Barnes on Feb 20th, 2011

Dr Houston is one of a kind. He made my elderly father feel very comfortable while he examined him. He was patient and understanding and I would recommend him to anyone.

Jan 29th, 2011

Overall experience was exceptional. Great doctor and staff. Would highly recommend.

This doctor needs some bedside manors !!! show details This doctor needs some bedside manors !!!
Sep 27th, 2010

Well, where do I start. I was having a problem with my throat and was sent to see Coastal Ear Nose & Throat. Since I had no prior knowledge of any of the Doctors in the practice, I agree to see the first available, which happened to be Dr. Houston. The office visit was literally 10 minutes, in this 10 minute visit he did a scope on my throat then handed me a couple pieces of paper, then sent me on my way. After that quick visit I realized I had a few very important question and concerns. I went back about 3 weeks later because my throat was still not feeling any better and thought I should go back to see him as I felt the first visit was to rushed and I still needed to address some of my questions and concerns. So as I went back to see him, I still had to pay my co-pay even though I was very unhappy with the first visit. While I was waiting for him in the room I started to think how serious this matter could be. Within a few moments he had entered into the room and I just felt like he had a very standoffish attitude towards me, as I had express my concerns about our last visit. Dr. houston had taken an EXTREME defense to my concerns and we began to argue. I was telling him I was not happy and that I felt he did not seem to care. I just feel as though he was very INSENSITIVE while I was going through this. I do not feel that I should still be in this pain after 3 weeks of doing as instructed (by the papers he handed me) In a calous tone his response was "It takes time." So i decided it was time for me to leave. The bottom line here is... DO NOT GO TO Dr. HOUSTON if you have a problem becouse he sure did not care about me or my problem, just making a buck. I will never return nor would I recommend him to ANYONE...

Awful show details Awful
by jerry amn on Apr 2nd, 2010

I would only send my enemies to this doctor. All he is interested is the money. Treats you like a number. Can't diagnose a simple sinus infection. Didn't communicate with my primary.

Jun 9th, 2009

Dr. Houston treated my oldest daughter when her jaw suddenly locked up and she couldn't eat and could barely speak. He was compassionate and understanding. I have since sent friends and other family to him and everyone has been very satisfied.

Apr 17th, 2009

I would highly recommend Dr. Houston to anyone needing an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.