Dr. Sean Hwang, MD
Neurologist, Epileptologist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Doctor.com.
Good Doc show details Good Doc
by SN on Feb 12th, 2015

Dr. Hwang is a great Neurologist. I am so happy to have been referred to him. I felt very comfortable in his diagnosis. He has great bedside manner.

"out of the mouth of babes" show details "out of the mouth of babes"
by Pam D. on Aug 4th, 2014

Don't be deceived by this youthful appearance. He is experienced, prompt, caring and listens carefully to what you say. He explains things so you can understand them. My whole family is impressed by his medical and human skill. I have been with him since he was at LIJ and his whole team is phenomenal !

Jun 19th, 2012

as opposed to my previous doctor, he did not realize that surgery was the answer. Had i stuck with him & not switched doctors and have the surgery, i would not be alive today!

Doctor's Response

I felt compelled to respond to this comment. North Shore LIJ has one of the highest volumes of epilepsy surgery in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Kings county. We tend to be one of the more aggressive regional Epilepsy Centers in regards to medical or surgical therapies, but appropriate patient selection candidacy for surgery is extremely important. If you were not considered an optimal candidate for surgery due to your epilepsy, it likely would reflect at the time of your consultation: 1) that it was not determined at the time whether you were medically intractable, 2) inconsistent data in regards to the localization of your seizures based on your prior workup, 3) concern for multifocal disease, or 4) concern for the potential for harm from the surgery due to the location of your seizures in respect to areas of the brain that are important for function. Whoever you are, I hope you have good luck with whatever operation you decided to go through with, and that it was done appropriately with careful consideration. Hopefully, it also rendered you seizure free. I always make a genuine and conscious effort to review data and therapeutic options carefully with patients, and therefore would also enjoy the opportunity for you to offer feedback in person rather than anonymously, perhaps to help us understand why you were dissatisfied, and to review what were the specifics of your case.

comfort show details comfort
May 10th, 2012

Dr. Hwang was very professional and took the time to explain his diagnosis and opinion in a comforting and detailed manner. He is knowledgable and highly recommend him for any matters relating to epilepsy.

GOOD DOC AAA show details GOOD DOC AAA
by Anonymous on Nov 10th, 2010 on doctorsdig.com

i've seen a lot of different docs, and i feel like i've heard the same thing from everyone...but dr hwang is excellent and gave me hope- whi ...

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
Very nice doctor! show details Very nice doctor!
Oct 16th, 2010

I am glad I finally found a doctor that specializes in treating epilepsy, after meeting many other docs- Dr. Hwang treats mostly people with seizures, and it is great to talk to someone who really understands the kinds of things we have to deal with everyday! He is a pretty good listener and definitely stays focused on my issues during the visit, unlike some docs I have met before.

happy with my new doc! show details happy with my new doc!
Jul 28th, 2010

I had great experience with Dr. Hwang,and I would definitely recommend LIJ for epilepsy

Terrific Doc! show details Terrific Doc!
by Anonymous on Jul 28th, 2010 on doctorsdig.com

Really nice doc, good listener, knows epilepsy. Good experience overall.

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
Excellent Doctor show details Excellent Doctor
Jul 23rd, 2010

Dr. Hwang takes the time to truly understand what his patients are going through. He is extremely knowledgeable and compassionate.

Proactive, caring doctor show details Proactive, caring doctor
May 13th, 2010

I have seen Dr. Hwang for about a year and am getting my seizures under control after 3 years. It takes time to find the right balance with this illness but he is very proactive. He takes time to explain why he's changing things and what he hopes the outcome will be which I feel is important with the unpredictability of this disease. He has a great bedside manner and his support staff has been wonderful in helping me get in to see him when I had an urget situation.