Dr. Sean McCance MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery New York, NY

June 17th, 2016
Exceptional care by a very brilliant doctor. After living with neck, arm, and back pain for almost 4 years with no clear diagnosis, Dr. McCance was able to come to the root of my problem. He performed cervical spine surgery on me just 2 months ago and I have to say my pain is gone! He has given me my quality of life back and each day I feel better and better. Just when I started to lose hope I met an amazing, compassionate, highly skilled surgeon. Thank you Dr. McCance !

June 7th, 2016
Stellar work!
I got my first of 2 spine operations from Dr. McCance when I was 18 years old. 7 days later, he operated again to finalize the procedure. This was in 2001 (15 years ago), and yet I'm still as grateful as always for the stellar job he did on my surgery. Make no mistake about it -- my operation was a major one. I had severe curve in my spine and absolutely needed surgery. Through two procedures, his team corrected my scoliosis and fused my spine from T3 to L3, which is a 12 level fusion (thoracic to lumbar). In English, more than half of my spine was fused with metal rods! If you think that I'm living confined to a wheelchair, rolling around in pain, or bed ridden to this day, you're not crazy. The truth is, however, I was able to recover and live an active life as a professional circus performer. Although I couldn't pursue a career as a full time professional acrobat as I originally planned due to my spinal condition, I was able to continue juggling and have made a bigger name for myself as a professional in that field. Don't get me wrong. Recovery was grueling. I had to work my butt off and fight through countless hours of physical rehab to get back to normal activity. There are still things that I cannot do. I had to say goodbye to doing backflips, playing contact sports, and doing heavy manual labor. But the good part is that I did eventually return to a normal life, and at 33 years old, I'm in even better shape than my 18-year old, pre-surgery self. With Dr. McCance's great attention to detail when it came to my case, I felt like I was his only patient. When I tell people the type of operation that I got, they're in disbelief until I show them a photo of my x-ray. They see how fit I am and the career that I have, and they say "No way!" They then rightfully credit me for what they can imagine was a tough recovery, but I also make it a duty to bring attention to the incredible job that Dr. McCance did. I couldn't have had a better surgeon to do it, and I highly appreciate all of his hard work. If you're with him, you're in good hands.

May 13th, 2016
Highway Robbery
I visited this Dr. based on his reputation and recommendation of a friend who had surgery with him 10 years ago. I made an appointment to get an accurate diagnosis of a failed Laminotomy. He was very thorough in his examination on the fist visit . He then sent me to a friend of his for a very expensive CT-Mylegram and full spinal X-Ray. A week later I visited the Dr. in his office and the whole back wall was covered with my X-Rays. After some discussion, he agreed that a Fusion was necessary and led me down the hall to Monica, his surgical manager and we filled out some forms. Dr. McCance said he had everything he needed and would see me at surgery. He was a bit cold but some of the NYC surgeons have this personality. A week later, I get a call from his office manager(Martha) to discuss my Out of Network exposure. I almost fell off my chair when she told me that Dr. McCance's fees were $148,000 and he would need a minimum of $90,000 to perform the surgery. She said he agreed to "cap" my exposure at $40,000 which was non-refundable and had to be paid before the procedure. All subsequent insurance payments would have to go to the Dr. What has this world come to if a DR. won't accept less than $90,000 for a three hour procedure? As other posters have said, it's all about the almighty dollar with this Dr. I wasted three trips to the City but now know to avoid Park Ave. Drs. You are better off going to a teaching hospital where the Drs. are just as good and take your insurance.

October 28th, 2015
Excellent!!!
Discectomy and laminectomy years ago and all going great. I would recommend Dr. McCance in a heartbeat.

October 28th, 2015
There is NO better Doctor!
I could not have asked for a more perfect experience. Dr. McCance and his staff took excellent care of me. Dr. McCance operated on my ruptured disc which had greatly affected a nearby nerve. Since surgery, I have not had any pain and that in itself is a miracle! Prior to surgery, the pain was intolerable! I feel so much better and will be forever grateful to him and staff for the superior care that I got.

August 18th, 2015
.DR. IS THE BEST .

June 25th, 2015
Life Changer
Five years into my L1 to S1 lumbar fusion for degenerative scoliosis and kyphosis, I am still doing great and am pain free without the need for medication. I was in my late 30s when I had surgery and wasn't very optimistic about my chances of a major improvement in my symptoms. Returning to a normal life was not even on my list of possibilities, but that is exactly what happened after my surgery. You will not find a better back surgeon, in my opinion, and I cannot recommend Dr. McCance enough. The proof is in the pudding.

April 22nd, 2015
Worst medical experience if my life
I had significant revision of prior spinal fusion. I went solely on the doctor's credentials on state physician website. My condition never improved from the surgery, I had issues after the surgery that I did not have to deal with before. There's more kindness shown before surgery, afterwards no follow up commitment at all. His PA's are not as experienced you'd expect in an office dealing with complicated spinal conditions. The business staff us enough reason to avoid this practice, incompetent and extremely rud.

October 6th, 2014
Dr. McCance is an excellent surgeon. I would recommend him highly. However one of his staff members, named MARTHA is an absolutely witch and doesn't know how to speak to people courteously. She reflects poorly on an otherwise highly professional practice.

June 4th, 2014
Horrible, don't use this doctor for spinal fusion
I had major fusion revision, with very poor outcome, appears that the doctor was not prepared or qualified to perform such complicated surgery. As if that wasn't enough, billing office was horrific, placed my benefits at risk. Whole experience was a nightmare.

January 18th, 2014
Mister
It is now a little more than a year since my 2 level spinal fusion of L4, L5, S1. I am totally pain free and have resumed all activities. I work in my 1100 acre forest in New Jersey using chain saws and other hand-held equipment as well as operating large forestry machinery, all without pain. When I first came to Dr McCance, I was a 74 year old man whose very active lifestyle had come to a halt due to sever and continuous lower back pain. I had done a lot of investigating of different procedures. My knee specialist recommended that I see Dr. McCance. The appointment was arranged quickly and was a pleasant experience. I had x-rays and MRIs going back a couple of years. The first thing Dr. McCance did was refer me to a Neurologist.for more tests. The Neurologist sent me for a Mylogram and CAT scan which turned out to be a very fortunate thing. These tests showed that there was abnormal, movement between L4 and L5 in addition to the disk problem and stenisis we already knew about at at L5,S1. If this had not been discovered any surgery on L5, S1 would not have given me pain relief. So the doctor did a 2 level fusion which has turned out great. My only negative comment is about the hospital after-care. I went to Lennox Hill where I received the worst care I ever experienced. The nurses were mostly foreigners and very uncaring. I even wrote to the hospuital and received a reply saying that they would look into my complaints. That was the last I heard about it. Perhaps Mt. Sinai would have been a better choice. All-in-all, I could not be happier. I have my life back and can do anything I want withouit pain or restriction. That includes shoveling snow whish I already did this winter.

September 10th, 2013
Worst Experience Ever
i went in to see him for spinal stenosis. i was using a cane occasionally and not responding to epidurals. his PA asked to walk on my heels and toes although i said i needed a double knee replacement. this pulled muscles in my hip and legs and i left there needing a walker and a wheelchair. the doctor said my inability to walk proved i needed surgery. no it proved i was an idiot for doing what his PA asked. all they seemed interested in was surgery. the doctor said it was minimally invasive and the person who was going to schedule the mris said it wasn't. i don't want a surgeon who gives me one answer and an office staff that gives me another. i have a new pain management doctor and an accupuncturist and it's cost me thousands of dollars to recover from my heel and toe walk. i paid mccance what the insurance paid me. now they are dunniing me for another $78. he may be the best surgeon in the world but there are plenty of others in new york.