Surgeons, Urologist

UC San Diego Health System
200 W Arbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92103
619-543-6222
Locations and availability (4)

3.0

Some ratings provided by Kudzu.
 |  excellent care  |  show details
Oct 25th, 2011

I was seen by Dr. Stroup promptly after being diagnosed with a kidney stone. He was informative, empathtic, and expedited the process of removing my stone. Follow up care was just as excellent. Can't express enough gratitude for his care.

|  Excellent care and bedside manner  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2011

I appreciated the time that Dr. Stroup spent with me explaining my cancer diagnosis and the various treatment options. I decided to proceed with robotic surgery and had an excellent result. I would recommend Dr. Stroup to others.

|  Looking elsewhere  |  show details
Mar 23rd, 2011

Argues re: test results. Not available. Pushes for surgery on outpatient basis for 90 year old with UTI infections instead of clearing infections first. Thank Goodness, Pre Op Evaluation said "no way" to surgery. Put a semi permanent stent in causing patient to require another surgery, when a more permanent one was also a choice. Why not have saved the nessecity for another surgery within 3 months instead of a year??

|  show details
Sep 6th, 2010

Dr. Stroup is a fellow in Urologic Oncology at UCSD. His primary practice is in urological cancers.

|  All Show No Go  |  show details
by concernedpatient on Sep 21st, 2009 on kudzu.com

Difficulty scheduling a urology appointment despite referral by an ER physician due to a large, obstructing kidney stone & multiple other stones. Further difficulty scheduling surgery. During 2nd ER visit the resident urologist advised me to forego admission since surgery was confirmed for 2 days later, despite ER physician┐s suspicion of an occult kidney infection. Rescheduling of surgery without informing me to a date that far exceeded conventional thought regarding removal of an occluding kidney stone. Subsequent inconsistencies in explanation for rescheduling including the following: Dr. Stroup wanted to leave early that day; he was expecting me at 9AM instead of noon; & there was a surgery that deprioritized mine. Failure to schedule a second pre-op despite the long duration between the first pre-op & rescheduled surgery. I then sought treatment elsewhere & was told it is imperative that the stones be removed immediately. The surgery was unremarkable, but I did have an infection.

Read Full Review at kudzu.com
 |  show details
Sep 3rd, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:I am writing to express several concerns regarding the quality of medical care I recently received from the UCSD Division of Urology. I hope that by reporting my concerns the care of other patients can be improved. Specifically my concerns are as follows:* Difficulty scheduling a timely Urology appointment despite an 8/1/09 referral by a UCSD ER physician due to my large, obstructing right kidney stone and multiple other right kidney stones* Further difficulty scheduling timely surgery (surgery eventually scheduled for 12:00PM, 8/11/09)* Poor bedside manner of Dr. Seth Cohen who took my history with the skill of a cheap lawyer during a second ER visit on 8/9/09; we decided to forego admission at that time since surgery was confirmed for 8/11/09, despite the UCSD ER physicians suspicion of an occult kidney infection* Rescheduling of the surgery, without informing me, to an inappropriate date that far exceeded conventional thought regarding timely removal of an occluding kidney stone (surgery rescheduled for 9:00AM, 8/20/09 but I only found this out by contacting pre-op admissions on 8/11/09)* Subsequent inconsistencies in explanation for the rescheduling of my surgery including the following: Dr. Sean Stroup, the surgeon, wanted to leave early that day; Dr. Stroup was expecting me at 9:00AM instead of 12:00AM; and there was an emergency surgery that de-prioritized mine* Failure to schedule a second pre-op urine and blood work-up despite the long duration between the first pre-op appointment and the rescheduled surgery, especially in light of the second ER visitDue to this poor care, I sought treatment at Scripps Torrey Pines on 8/12/09. There I was told it is imperative that the stones be removed immediately. I was efficiently scheduled for surgery on 8/14/09. The surgery and subsequent stent removal were unremarkable except to say that I did in fact have an occult kidney infection.