Dr. Seyyed Ghaemi Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Seyyed Ghaemi?

Bipolar Disorder

Have you seen Dr. Seyyed Ghaemi?

2 Ratings with 1 Comment

Dissatisfied

Showing 2 Ratings with 1 Comment

July 7th, 2013

Terrible psychiatrist

Dr. Ghaemi is incredibly arrogant and condescending. At one point, he said, "You're coming to me because I have an M.D. and know things you don't." I thought that statement was unnecessary. He even had to mention that he knows what he's doing because he has "over 20 years of experience in this field." Furthermore, he appeared disengaged the whole time. For the majority of the session, he wasn't even facing me, and barely made eye contact when we spoke. Although he claimed to be listening, on at least three occasions he asked me to repeat something I had already said, two of which were the same thing. He only asked some questions regarding my history of depression. Then he made incorrect assumptions about my other diagnoses, solely based off of my current medications, without bothering to inquire about the onset or my symptoms. Not once did he ask me about other factors in my life that could be exacerbating symptoms, and he interrupted me when I tried to explain. I got the impression that he was more interested in confirming his theories, than understanding my concerns. He was dismissive multiple times. He said that if I wanted to work with him, I would have to do things his way. Otherwise, he said, "you can go back to your psychiatrist who will prescribe whatever you want." My previous psychiatrist actually listened to my symptoms over a period of time, along with my history, to made a diagnosis according to the DSM, before prescribing that medication. That Dr. Ghaemi would insult a doctor whom he doesn't even know, really infuriated me. While he did make a few valid points, his "bedside manner" could have used a lot of improvement.

September 9th, 2015