Dr. Shaji Mathew MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 22nd, 2015
Dr. Mathew was our pediatrician for 2 years and we were always doubtful. He is very nice and laid-back and we thought we loved that about him. When our daughter was first born he would spend a little more time with us, tell us about her development and what we should be doing but as she grew older he spent less and less time with us. Our last few visits we would go in and he would speak with us for 5 min, say our daughter was fine and send us on our way. I would ask other first time parents what their pediatricians were like and we would give Dr. Mathew the benefit of the doubt that maybe we've just gone in on his 'off' days and the next visit will be better. Now that we are with a new pediatrician I really feel bad for the parents that go to his office. Our daughter does not get sick very often but the few times where we were worried we would call and there was never an attempt to see us but instead they turned us away and told us to go to urgent care. Once, our doctors office, sent us there and then urgent care said sorry we don't take babies under one. So we had to run around to find someone that would. The last time we called, my fiancé was naming off symptoms to the receptionist so that we could once again try to get our pediatrician to see our daughter, and she cut him off and said go to urgent care(I didn't know the receptionist was a doctor and could make the decision for Mr. Mathews). The staff at Urgent Care treated us better than the staff at Dr. Mathews office has. I could continue on about plenty of instances of how we feel wronged by Dr. Mathew but the worst one was ever since our daughter was born we have brought up repeatedly on how she snores and breaths very irregular through the night. Again and again he would say its fine but we will keep looking at it. When we switched over to another doctor they instantly sent a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. The specialist looked into her mouth for 3 seconds and said her tonsils need to come out they are too large. Why is it that our concerns were always tossed aside and they were valid? We were always very patient and kept trying to see the positives to him and his practice. Dr. Mathew is very nice and calm and maybe he's a perfect doctor to other patients but as first time parents we should have switched sooner than we did. it wasn't a complete waste of time because now we see how great our new pediatrician is. I wouldn't suggest Dr. Mathew to anybody, especially to new parents. One receptionist is constantly irritable, unhelpful, I don't think I've ever seen her smile, and it seems everyone that comes to her is an absolute annoyance and you should bow down before you talk to her. Not all the staff was terrible there but no one was so nice that it made the office look better. Our new Pediatrician and the staff was so amazing from the second we walked in the door. Everyone was happy, kind and patient. The experience I had when we went there for the first time was something I've wanted since my daughter was born. Me and my fiancé were speechless when we left and we feel safer with our daughter in their hands I only wish we switched to them sooner.

March 26th, 2014
Should have read the online reviews!
I waited until I was no longer angry to write this review. My 2 year old was left fighting an illness for 2 weeks and the doctor suggested I keep treating it with Tylenol. I called on a Monday to schedule a visit as my daughter had been vomiting and refused to eat or drink anything for 72 hours and never received a call back. I ended up in the ER. I called again Wednesday and never even got an apology for not calling me back. I was seen that same day and was sent home to "wait it out". Meanwhile my 29 pound baby lost 3 pounds in a matter of 2 weeks. It was at my insistence that the doctor finally agreed to give us some medication for the nightly fever she had for 2 weeks. And when he sent the prescription, he did not bother to add the dosage quantity so the pharmacy could not fill it that day. Dr. Mathew himself is good, his admin staff is horrible. It feels like you are bothering them when you call in. I have switched doctors and took my daughter in and even got a follow up call. I didn't even know pediatricians did that! Save yourself the frustration.

March 21st, 2013
wishy washy
Staff was incredibly mean and made me feel like I was lesser of a human being. They told me that I am not allowed to have two children seen in one day because the Dr is worried that he wont make money if that one parents cancels two appointments. I had to call a second office to see if the Dr would override this erroneous rule. After the receptionist spoke with DR MATHEW she confirmed that on a one time basis it would be fine and was booked. They then called the following day and canceled our appointment, stating that after another meeting it is not good for the Dr. EVEN AFTER HE CONFIRMED... Not worth it. I see bad reviews all over for this staff and a few bad reviews for Dr. Mathews... even going as far as saying he is pompous and arrogant and has the audacity to make parents feel as if they are raising their children wrong. Some may trust the Dr. but I bet none trust his staff... You are only as strong as your weakest member Dr. Mathew... and you have quite a few.

May 25th, 2012
Wonderful office staff , fantastic experience. LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr Mathews, spent as long as needed and answered all questions, wasn't rush at all. Finally a doctor who takes his time and talks to the patients and the parents. Staff is always helpful and understanding. They all treated my children as they were special and the most important person when they were with them.

December 10th, 2010
RD
Best pediatrician! Friendly and so knowledgable! Our kids love him as he is great with kids! Highly recommended! We actually trasnferred to a different pediatrician due to our location but after few yrs decided to go back to him even if his office is far from our place! It's worth it!

April 21st, 2010
Chronic illness never even considered
Dr Mathew repeatedly made the wrong diagnosis with my children for 3 years, specifically my son until I was forced to find a new Dr. who immediatly diagnosed my son with asthma and gave him Albuterol. My children were constantly sick, and I was told to get allergy medicine, and Pepto-bismal. Since leaving Dr Mathew my children (2 boys now 5 and 6) were properly diagnosed with asthma, chronic ear infections that required tubes, Adnoid and Tonsil removal. And they are finally hearing, speaking and feeling 100%. Dr. Mathews' assistant is the worst person I have ever talked too, refusing to write a prescription for my son until he was sick, forcing me to call with him wheezing and coughing in the background, yelling to get some medicine to my son before he turned blue. Dr Mathew went on vacation and referred me to a dr to see his patients that charged me $329 to diagnose an ear infection, and refused to bill my insurance at all.If your kids are never sick, this is a good dr. My children had chronic infections for 3 years including ear infections, asthma, vomiting, lateness in speech (due to hearing issues), constant colds and overall problems. He refused to listen to me or my husband that something was very wrong, and just kept writing stronger and stronger cough medicine prescriptions and antibiotics that didn't work. Have you ever seen a 2 year old on codeine?Do NOT go to this Dr. I tell everyone I know with children.

October 1st, 2009
Very wonderful physician
I like Dr. Mathew because he is smart, knowledgeble and very caring. My kids love him and are very happy and excited when we have to go visit him for his well childs. They now have 2 offices. One which is in the south and one in northwest. That makes it very convenient since I live in the northwest. The staff is friendly, funny and wonderful.

August 13th, 2009
Very knowledgable and pleasant
I highly recommend Dr. Shaji. He is a very knowledgable doctor who has very good bed side manners and shows a healthy dose of common sense. He does not over prescribe medications if not necessary and had a lot of good tips for us new parents.I highly recommend Dr. Shaji