Dr. Shana Wingo MD Patient Reviews

no change

• Good
  • Bad

June 12th, 2017
Outstanding surgeon! Office staff gaps in communication.
I had a TAH done via mini lap 8 months ago with Dr. Wingo. Though it turned out there was no cancer, my need for the surgery was in part due to a large fibroid pushing against other organs plus I was at an elevated risk for developing cancer in the future. As surgeons go, I believe Dr. Wingo is topnotch. Her "bedside" manner is also excellent. She is compassionate and understanding towards her patients. She takes her time during her visits to explain the procedure in some detail and lets the patient ask questions (make sure you know what questions to ask). Her office staff though very friendly are very busy. There were a few occasions that paperwork fell through the cracks. If I had not been a tenacious person and followed up with them regarding my FMLA and short term disability paperwork, I believe it would not have been handled in a timely fashion (which meant no much needed short term dis wages for me...which is the last thing you want to worry about when you are recovering from surgery). It's also near impossible to reach anyone by phone. Usually you need to leave a message and they will call you back. If it's medically related they will usually call you back on the same day. If it's paperwork related...good luck! I found calling in on the PCP prompt would get me to a live person. Once you get a live person, they are good in keeping you on the phone until they can get an answer for you. There seems to be communication gaps between their office staff. Also, if you're not a cancer patient, it's important to take the time to get a 2nd opinion on whether you actually need the surgery. Even if your surgery is a textbook success (and mine was), your body goes through a lot and it takes time to heal. At 14 weeks postop, my constitution was still not right. Post op risks (blood clots, prolapse, scar tissue) in my opinion, are more difficult (and scary) to care for than going through the actual surgery. When your doctor tells you of the risks of surgery, they are real risks! Dig deeper and ask her questions about the long term effects of the risks not just what they are. Also, almost 6 months after surgery and my body was still battling with metabolic changes from the surgery. Found vitamin deficiencies and possible elevated cortisol levels. From what I now understand, vitamin deficiencies and cortisol level changes can happen because of surgery. My symptoms: shortness of breath; leg pain; anxiety; mood swings; fatigue; lightheadedness. I wish I had known that, I would have loaded up on the vitamins prior to the surgery and afterwards. It's really important to know the right questions to ask your doctor before your surgery. My conclusion is, Dr. Wingo is an awesome doctor and surgeon. Conscientious and smart! I had no complications during surgery and very little surgery related pain afterwards. My incisions healed nicely with no complications at the incision sites. If you have cancer, I would trust no other surgeon above her for female related surgery! But note, if you are suffering with cancer the last thing you want to do is chase paperwork or chase misinformation. Have someone you trust to do that for you...you concentrate on healing. Because of the added stress caused by the gaps in communication with the office staff, I am giving 4 stars.

December 30th, 2016
I love this woman. she is everything you could ask for in a doctor and a person.
couldn't ask for a better doctor.

October 8th, 2016
Great experience
Dr. Wingo is an exceptional physician and surgeon. She is kind, compassionate, thorough and has a great team working with her. I feel so fortunate to have been referred to her.

June 26th, 2016
What an amazing doctor, and how fortunate I am that my gynecologist referred her to me! Her skills, her bedside manner, her thoroughness, and the understanding of the situation that she provides is top notch. It just doesn't get any better than Dr. Wingo.

April 11th, 2016
Best Doctor Ever!!
Dr. Wingo is a GREAT physician. I highly recommend her for any type of gynecological cancer or surgery. She listens, she provides excellent explanations and I never feel rushed in her office. Her staff is caring and has a tremendous sense of urgency.

November 13th, 2015
Dr. Wingo is AWESOME!

November 10th, 2015
Dr. Wingo is the consummate professional. She has outstanding bedside manners and is easy to talk to. She is an excellent surgeon and put my family as ease. I highly recommended her!

October 17th, 2015
caring, down to earth, good sense of humor, dedicated,very knowledgable, takes time with person and you are treated as a person. and not a type of cancer.

July 12th, 2015
Excellent Experience
Dr. Wingo made me feel at ease and was professional and compassionate in her approach. I have never had a more pleasant experience at a doctor's office.

May 26th, 2015
Everyone is very nice and makes me feel comfortable and at ease tho the procedure is uncomfortable. I especially like Dr Wingo

November 25th, 2014
Dr. Wingo is very good at explaining patient needs; care...etc. the staff are very attentive; have a great skills set; and are very pleasant to speak with. Glad I went to the right hospital that night. I would never met Dr. Wingo. Thanks again.

October 15th, 2014
Have recommended Az oncology because high level of expertise and a wonderfully caring staff. Vicky,Tracey, Jamie, Robert,Steve, all the nurses, Deb and Dr Wingo are wonderfully knowlegeable and very kind. The chemo staff are so busy but always have time to answer any question. I feel very cared for and truly appreciate how kind everyone is to my husband.