Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

Southside General Surgery
3335 S Crater Rd
Petersburg, VA 23805
804-765-5206
Locations and availability (2)

|  The doctor is wonderful, but the front office needs help.  |  show details
Oct 15th, 2012

I had a 9 am appointment, but was told to show up 1/2 hour early to fill out paperwork which I did. When I was called back, the nurse or staff member who put me in an exam room never once smiled. She might have been having a really bad day, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt, but her manner was very disturbing. I believe her name was Cathy. I was left to wait for the doctor with nothing on but a paper vest and drape for at least 45 minutes. The doctor did not come in the room until 10:25! I had seriously thought of getting dressed and leaving. If the doctor had not been so nice and knowledgeable, I would vow to never go back again. Whoever was working the front dest never requested my file from the previous OB/GYN who Dr. Gilham took over for, even though I made the appointment several weeks in advance. The whole time I was waiting for the doctor to come in, the front desk was waiting for my records to be faxed over. Something that should have been taken care of before I ever got there.

|  The staff is terrible  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

First off, I was quoted an outrageous price for basic tests along with the pap smear (500 ) that my old gyno in GA did for $250. Then, almost everytime I called the office because Walmart would not get their act together on filling prescriptions, no one would answer and do not bother with leaving a message. They never return phone calls. Finally I had to physically go in. Then they kept me waiting 30 minutes just to talk to someone at the front desk! Do not go here! You will get ripped off and no assistance with prescriptions!

|  show details
Dec 6th, 2010

Overall I enjoyed my experience with Dr.Gilham and felt she was attentive to my care and needs. However the receptionist needs to be replaced as she can not juggle phone calls or return them in a timely manner (if you are lucky enough to get a call back to begin with)

|  show details
by Blessed to know Dr. Shannon Gilham on May 2nd, 2009

She cares a great deal about her patient's. She has an excellent excellent bedside manner, she listens to her patients. She calls you at home to see how you are doing after a procedure or surgery. She takes her time when talking to you prior to a procedure to make sure you understand everything that will be done. She's has a warm and kind heart, because she cares very much about her patients. She is a very dedicated and skillful doctor who loves what she does. She gets out into the community for health fairs and lectures regardless of her busy schedule, she always make time for others. I wish there was more like her, Southside Hospital doesn't realize how lucky they are to have her. If she ever leave Southside Hospital, so will I.