Dr. Shanti Nilakantan MD, BS, MBBS Patient Reviews

3.6

• Good
  • Bad

July 16th, 2011
One of the best doctors.... period.
Dr. Nilakantan is extremely thorough with both physical exam, diagnosis, and medical treatment. As a prior nurse myself, I recognize how rare this is to find a physician who actually is invested in differential diagnoses and correct, up to date, evidence based medical treatment.Most other physicians (including the other docs at Talbert, and pretty much every other practice these days) are practicing "cook-book" medicine. She is one of the few who isn't. Dr. Nilakantan is truly a "Physicians Physician" and while she could work on efficiency, (her wait times are quite long) I feel that I'd rather pay the price of a longer wait time for an excellent and thorough medical visit and care.Her staff on the other hand, could use a tune up. But she seems like the type who is more invested in her patients than the mundane interrunnings of her office politics. And I can live with that!Overall, she is a 5 star doctor. I only hope the modern medical system puts out more docs like this.

August 17th, 2010
Nickel and Dimes You
Dr. Nilakantan will make you come in for the stupidest things. Things she could arrange over the phone or email (she does not like email, making her difficult, if not impossible, to contact).In my experience, I have had to go in over and over for the same problem, when she could have ordered lab tests over the phone instead of having me come in and pay additional copays, as it was always the same problem, and did not need a physical workup at the time.I must say she is very thorough however. She will take the time with you and she is concerned about your overall health. However, in my opinion, she did not address the "whole issue" that was causing me severe health problems, and for that, I will have to change doctors.Her staff is sometimes rude, and will "block you" from talking to the doctor. I've been told numerous times that "the doctor is too busy to talk to you." Very unprofessional and uncaring.It is my belief that had she caught certain things earlier by looking at the whole picture, she would have prevented my now severe health problems.

February 26th, 2010
Excellent Clinical Doctor
I've been going to Dr. Nilakantan for a long time and she provides excellent medical care. She takes the time to listen and honestly cares about her patients' health. She is extremely accurate and astute. She may be delayed sometimes. If you want a boutique office, her group may not be the place to go. But, if you want one of the best doctors in Southern California, I would recommend her.

March 18th, 2009
Knowledgable, caring doctor
Dr. Nilakantan is excellent at diagnosing various medical issues--I've gone to her for ten years. She is always thorough and very caring.Occasionally, there is a long wait; however, part of that is the nature of the medical group in which she works. Part of that, probably, though, is that she DOES take the time to listen to the patient instead of whisking you through the office in the time the HMO/PPO groups allot!I would definitely recommend this doctor as a primary physician.

January 6th, 2009
I had a set appointment and ended up waiting 2 and a half hours to be seen by this doctor. Unacceptable! If you value your time, go to someone else.

January 29th, 2017