Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com. DrScore. CitySearch.
 |  Worst experience ever! The reason why our healthcare system is screwed up.  |  show details
by Carol on Mar 31st, 2014

Run do not walk to another doctor! In fact - you will rarely even see Dr. Shari Merchant. If you pay your co-pay in the office - you will still get billed and spend hours on the phone with their accounting staff to straighten it out. They will hold you hostage by only giving you prescriptions for ONE MONTH only - and then make you come in EVERY MONTH for unnecessary tests etc. The doc is money hungry and quite honestly there is something fishy about this place.

|  rude and unprofecional  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2014

Unprofessional Doctor. I was scheduled there only for a birth control annual visit and left that office with a scheduled ultrasound blood work and scheduled follow-up . At my ultrasound app I was perfectly fine but when my follow up visit came up I received a phone call stating I needed to reschedule because the Doctor was leaving early, then after I rescheduled at my visit I was seen by the PA and was told my ultrasound looked fine, when Dr.Merchant came in she said I had Cyst and need to follow-up with another ultrasound in 3 months. Now I am told I need ANOTHER ultrasound in 3 more months. I received a bill from them because they billed to much for my annual visit and follow-up.And her wait time is so LONG for her to come in and say Hi how are you see you back in 3months. Plus her staff changes every visit there someone new calls me or someone new is always there.The MA's don't know anything and are always new! And to wonder what happens behind the office. That office is not clean at all and all you see is only stuff there. I have heard from times that am there how unprofessional the Doctor is this is unbelievable and sad. I will definitely not come here again.

|  uncaring doctor  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2013

I had some issues and called the office to have them page Dr. Merchant. The dr never answered her page so the nurse told me if it's serious then I should make the decision to go to ER since Merchant can't be found. What Dr doesn't answer their page? I found that very unprofessional and uncaring. Long story short...went to ER and they took CT scan and called Merchant and she never answered. Again...unprofessional. Anyway, went home and called the office for an appt asap to discuss ER results. Got an appt for 2 days later. Not only do I have to wait 2 days for this problem I have to wait an additional 3 hrs when I showed up to the appointed time only to have her not look at the scan or report from my ER visit. She wants me to get bloodwork and ultrasound done by her office which I don't see any point since I had same bloodwork done from ER and CT scan. This tells me all she wants is my money. Needless to say I quickly saw my error in choosing her as my ob and changed to another dr and am very happy with the change. I would give dr. Merchant a zero star but this site won't let me. Run....don't go to her unless you want an uncaring dr.

Aug 13th, 2012

i am recommending Dr. Merchant to all of my friends.She has assisted me with the birth of my first child and I currently see her for my second pregnancy. I value her care very much not only for her carring persona but also for her professionalism and experience. Her office staff has also been very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

|  Good Doctor  |  show details
Aug 1st, 2012

The office staff are amazin people. Wish to spend more time with the doctor .

Aug 1st, 2012

Great doctor.

|  Love this Office  |  show details
Jul 31st, 2012

Good: The staff is great! They treat you like a real person having real experiences and not like the next specimen. I have been so impressed with this office. This was my first pregnancy. The doctor and the physician assistant seem to sincerely love what they do. I would recommend them to anyone, especially mothers to be!

|  Out for the Money  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2012

I am new to Illinois and was looking for a new dr. I found DR. Merchant and scheduled my annual and a birth control consultation. I am a 24 year old, healthy women. No history of any medical issues, and I get my check-ups annually. I have also been on the same birth control for 2 years.Since my first visit; the doctor's assistant has had me in for different sets of tests and an ultrasound. She had convinced my I was at risk for cysts, even though I had no symptoms and my pap was normal. She also would only write my prescription for birth control for 3 months at a time, so that I was forced to come back in for more tests. My current doctor was appalled by this behavior. Overall, it was an absolutely horrible experience and I would not wish it on anyone. I really wish I would have read some of these reviews before I went in.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2011

I visited Dr. Merchant several times and she's been great. Sometimes, I was seen by her assistant which was just fine as she was fully informed about my health issues. If I have any questions or concerns, Dr. Merchant or her assistant will always return my call. Dr. Merchant is very qualified to make good decisions about my health and I trust her knowledge. This is a good office to visit.

|  Go there if you find no one  |  show details
Sep 15th, 2011

I was her patient for my first pregnancy and during that I have met her for just few times for few minute as I would be attended by physician assistants who kept changing constantly. She has no time for her patients and never gives you personal care. She follows very basic protocol but makes you many blood tests and repeats the same one often which means you end up paying a lot of money and the front desk makes sure you pay from your pocket even before your insurance has a look at that. She will never deal with any complication properly and just scare you constantly into getting a c-section which for her means spending less time and more money.She is a very calculating and clever physician. After luring me into a c-sec for a breech baby at 39 week,she never bothered to come and see me until the last day of my stay at hospital. you don't want to go to her if you want a true, caring, understanding person who wants the best for you. After going to her you feel rushed and treated badly. More than that the nurses she hires will poke your arm many times as most are clueless trainees who do nails part time. You deserve good care in pregnancy and this place is not it.

Aug 22nd, 2011

She was my OB/GYN during my pregnancy. RIght from the time I got pregnant, she never once saw me. It was always her PA who saw me. Whenever I asked, she said, if there are no complications the doctor wouldnt come in.THis was my first pregnancy, I would've expected doctor to show up atleast once.When I said, I need to see her, the doctor came to the room with the attitude, 'Now what do you want!'

|  unprofessional  |  show details
Jul 28th, 2011

Bad overall experience.unprofessional, greedy, incompetent.

|  She is a great doctor.  |  show details
May 14th, 2011

She is very freindly and took time to understand my problems. She was very compassionate and caring. She was excellent with followup. I would recommend her to my freinds and family.

|  Recommended  |  show details
May 3rd, 2011

Doctor Merchant has been great through my whole pregnancy. She or her PA, Cassie put me at ease when I had concerns. I had an easy, uneventful pregnancy and delivery and now I'm a mother of a healthy baby boy! The office employees and nurses are very friendly and accomodating and scheduled me after 5 pm or on Saturdays so I didn't have to miss many work days. Overall, the experience at this office was great so I would honestly recommend Dr. Merchant's office to everyone.

|  A Godsend Doctor!  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2011

I have had the honor of being a patient of Dr. Merchant for about 2 years. I met her after searching for a surgeon who would respect my wishes and address my concerns regarding a much needed surgery. Dr. Merchant was a Godsend! She gave me professional insight and information along with her opinion and then stepped back to allow me to make my own decision. She has been there for me throughout the years. I have never been to any doctor like her - anywhere and I feel privileged to have found such a wonderful physician to care for me. I would highly recommend her without any hesitation. She is wonderful. You'll know it from the time you walk in the office. Her staff actually answers the phone!! No *automated* system (unless they're closed). I just can't say enough good things about him AND her caring and professional staff.

|  Dont know how she is familiar, I HATE HER  |  show details
Mar 16th, 2011

I am not sure how she is so familiar and wanted by many, but I do not like the way she treats her patients. I never suggest her.I am visiting her for past 10 months for my wife delivery. I had atleast 20 appointments with her and I am able to see her for only 6 to 7 times and rest are taken care by her assistants. I also given my review to the Womens doc when my was in 5th month about this and then she came for next visit and after that I have seen her in 8th month. I dont know even when we had taken appointment with the Doctor based on their availability why they could not make to it. The most worst thing is she will be in the Office but she will not visit the patient,her assistant will come and see. And when we ask assitants any questions, she is not sure some times she will browse for details about that medicine or she will say I will get it confirmed from the doctor, this is totally rediculous.When my wife is having pains Merchat verified and asked us to go to labour and informed us that on call doctor will take care if delivery is at night. But for us it has taken time and labour nurse informed me at 7 am that Merchant is on duty now and will be coming for delivery since it does not happen in night. We waited and she has not visited even once untill 2pm. Actually I preferred lady doctor for my wife, for giving epidurol. The nurse said " It seems you preffered lady, but we have a male dotor now and he will going to emergency and will not be available and not sure when he comes, if you want we can ask him to come and give epidurol and there are no other staff giving epidurol" this totally iritated me but I am not in a position to argue with them. I am good with male doctors also, but the way they have given me the option is very bad. Nurse said its time to push and asked my wife to push. My wife is not successfull in pushing, and then Merchant came to delivery room at around 2pm I beleive, she is then asking when was epidurol given and for how long, (So what she is tracking my wifes delivery progress, she do not know when the epidurol is given and for how long she is given.) when my wife said she is not having any sense for pushing. She then asked if you had reduced the flow of epidurol and stopped it, the nurse stopped before me and said that she reduced long time back and now stopped completely. They started to give epidurol from 11pm and they dont know when they reduced the flow.So atlast we end up having C-section.After C-section Merchant has seen my wife only after 3 weeks. Merchant came after one day of C-section to my wifes room and my wife is feeding the baby, so she said that she will come later and after that we have 2 visits and not seen her. This shows how much she cares for her patients, its only her assitant seeing my wife. Even after removing staples she has not verified my wife.I HATE THIS DOCTOR and myself for not changing this doctor.

|  VERY MONEY MINDED  |  show details
Feb 21st, 2011

I DONT PREFER HER

|  Worst plz dont trust Sherri Merchant ,money minded...  |  show details
Sep 23rd, 2010

I had some urgent gynecology issues and called the office for an appointment on Monday and I got an appointment for Friday and then I called the clinic to talk with a mid wife or some one who could suggest me with the issue and trust me she told me to wait until Friday and till Friday is had stressful nights and Friday i reach there and wait for more than 2hours and a mid wife comes in and talks asking what i came for and then she is like everything is fine you come after a month and I was so unhappy after waiting for so so long and paying your copay don't get to see the doc is pathetic and when I ask for the gynec the midwife tells doctor is not available she would be back only after an hour can you wait then I wait for an hour like a fool and keep peeping out of the room to see if doctor is around then doctor comes in does not even sit and speaks to me for exactly 2min and just tells well you know what there is a problem with your ultrasound which was taken 2months back mind you no call after the result from the doctors office and so now we need to do a biopsy of your uterus so come after 10days and will do the blood work and biopsy and when I asked her about the ultrasound result why no one called me she mentions that I wanted to discuss when you get here not on the phone.This is the worst response from any gynec that we would expect.Truly only for money...I found another doc and she told me everything was normal and no issues at all...So please dont go by fame cause not everyone can handle fame just read reviews and don't face the same what I and other patients have gone through

|  waited too long to see this doctor  |  show details
by valerie hodgesken on Sep 4th, 2010

I was referred by a frined to see this doctor but had to wait over an hour, doctor was late was told to see her assistant, left the office totally disgsuted with the whole experience

|  See Someone Else...Only out for money!!!!  |  show details
by Greenlee Smythe on Aug 6th, 2010

This doctor is only out for money!! i went in for a pap smear and was told she was only taking 1 test and i swore i saw her take two and she said she only took one test. The Receptionist called me and said my pap and chlymadia came back ok.So the doctor lied to my face about taking only 1 test...Also I am a 30 year old completely healthy person and was told to come twice a year for a visit. No other gyno suggessts that escpecially for someone so healthy. She took my blood test and said my cholestrol was to high at 181, which is normal under 200. I took the test in 2008 and it was 179 and she said i should come back in 3 months to get tested for my choloestrol since it went up 2 points in two years. I was like no way, this doctor is only out for money. she is very rude also. She asked me if I was seeing someone and if I was sleepng with them.. I told her there are other things people can do on dates, You know!

|  dishonest doctor  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jun 23rd, 2010 on doctorsdig.com

office is okay but doctor has no time for patient problems, long wiat times, no coutesy for patients problems, just want money

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
 |  DISHONEST  |  show details
May 7th, 2010

I waited in the office for 2 hours. The doctor told me she was only taking my pap smear test and I swore I saw her take two tests and asked about it and she said took only one. the nurse there called me and told me my pap and clymdia test came back ok..so she lied to me and took two tests to get more money. She makes me feel like a tramp cause I'm single

|  A great doctor  |  show details
by Katerina C on Mar 22nd, 2010

Dr. Merchant is a terrific doctor, she diagnosed me with a condition that needed immediate attention and she was right. She fully explained my contidion to me and didn't hesitate to spend some good time answering my questions and many of my concerns.Now I feel great, thanks to her!I would recommend dr.Merchant to everyone I know. The office staff was good, too, very accomodating and friendly.

Feb 17th, 2010

Dr. Merchant is a terrific doctor. I feel comfortable speaking with her about my concerns. She fully explained to me all pros and cons of different treatments and procedures. I felt comfortable making a decision about my surgery after having several consulatations with dr Merchant and I feel I am an educated patient. And no surprise there, the surgery went well and I am back to my own self.I would recommend dr.Merchant to all my friends.

|  A great doctor!  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jan 28th, 2010 on doctor.com

Dr. Merchant is a great doctor. I have been coming to her office for a few years now and she treats me like a friend. She fully explains any procedure ...

Read Full Review at doctor.com
 |  A great doctor!  |  show details
by Anonymous on Jan 15th, 2010 on doctor.com

I have seen dr. Merchant during my pregnancy with my 1st baby and she was just wonderful! I had many questions and concerns about myself and the baby ...

Read Full Review at doctor.com
 |  She is so professional  |  show details
by Graciela Burgueno on Dec 30th, 2009

I like her a lot she is smart, frendly, she is the best.

|  Great Doc but too many patients!!!  |  show details
Dec 10th, 2009

I went on a referrel from a friend to see Dr. Merchant but I ended up seeing her partner more b/c she was always too busy. If I would of known his in the beginning I never would of went to this preactice. I even ended up with a high risk prenancy going into preterm labor at 24 weeks and still I either seen her partner or her assisant.I also had a planned delivery and her partner ended up delivering me! The practice also has a horrible billing policy. (they over charge for everything). She is good if you get to see her.

by kathy7676 on Jan 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I was expecting my first kid in the USA and was very nervous, since I did not have any family here. I was searching for an OB doctor in the phone book and came upon Dr. Merchant?s advertisement. I called corporate office and the staff there made an appo

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
by vikiii on Jan 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I moved from Florida about 2 years back and wanted a good and reputable OB/GYN, my friends highly recommended Dr. Merchant and her associates and I thank them for doing so even today. My first visit was excellent, the frontdesk staff were so efficient

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Very satisfied after few visits  |  show details
by Andrea on Jan 14th, 2009

I'm very satisfied after few visits with Dr. Merchant. She's great! Very intelligent, carring and nice proffesional. The office is very nice in a St Alexis building, front desk people are friendly and ready to answer your questions. Very good experience!