Dr. Shirin Towfigh MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

December 5th, 2016
Dr Towfigh performed groin neurectomy on me. By saying that it was not so easy to diagnose this condition. Dr Towfigh personally evaluated my MRI to double check if the radiology specialist is right. After a very detailed examination, which included imaging and physical tests and after reviewing all my related medical history she suggested the corrective procedure. The diagnosis was not clear 100% before the procedure but Dr Towfigh felt confident about the outcome and explained me what are the expected repair scenarios. Dr Towfigh knows all abdominal wall repair techniques and explained me that she may convert any kind of repair into another upon need even during the surgery. I felt very confident when I was going to the surgery. Dr Towfigh is also very caring doctor, which is extremely important for out-of-state patient such as me. I did this surgery about 5 years ago because the condition prevented me from participating in sport activities. Dr Towfigh only did whatever is needed without performing any additional surgical interventions, which are sometimes done by other doctors "just to secure something". The problem was solved and never stopped me from sports since the surgery was completed. I am glad that I have found Dr Towfigh and would definitely recommend her services to anyone else who has hernia or abdominal pain related issues.

October 13th, 2016
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, not patient care
This self-promoting surgeon is primarily concerned with overcharging for everything while pushing you to write a favorable Y*lp review to help her hook the next big cash fish. Don't believe the PR pieces disguised as patient reviews. She doesn't take your insurance because it allows her to fleece patients without any oversight. Expect to overpay by $20,000 plus all of the unvalidated parking for your visits. Of course she will steer you to use her surgical center to increase her profits. The insulting overcharges start with the initial consultation: $900. Folks, it's not heart or brain surgery she's performing- it's common hernia surgery done all over town for less than $5,000. She's the self-proclaimed "best". Yet, she has no actual award for being the best of anything.

December 17th, 2015
This Doctor is far and away, the best hernia surgeon in the country.
I had received a CT scan of the abdomen prior to getting a tummy tuck.The CT scan revealed I had a hernia although I had no symptoms. The doctor performing the tummy talk referred me to Dr. Towfigh. I knew nothing about hernias.and my insurance had a very high out of network deductible. I would've had to have paid for the entire surgery myself, so I looked for another surgeon who was in my network. The other surgeon had a good reputation and proceeded to describe how the hernia operation would be done. It would be an open repair during the Tummy Tuck which would add an additional 2 hours to the operation. He informed me that it would be very risky and that I would likely develop an infection or a fistula because the mesh would adhere to the bowel. The plastic surgeon could not proceed with the tummy tuck unless the hernia was repaired but the risks of repairing it terrified me. I went back to Dr.Towfigh because of her reputation for minimally invasive surgery and a leading expert in her field. I did a lot of research before I returned for my second consultation. She explained why she would be able to perform the surgery in less than an hour and that the type of mesh that she would be using would be a more natural material that tends not to stick to the bowel. More importantly, she would be able to perform the operation so that the hernia would be repaired but it would not directly make contact with my bowel. This would mean that the chances of infection and fistula would be dramatically reduced. She also explained that fistulas most often occur in individuals with a history of fistulas. and therefore it would be highly unlikely I would develop one. It is one thing to treat hernias and another to truly specialize in it. Natural mesh, is much less likely to cause infection and it also is very expensive. Her fee is not cheap, However, finding a doctor who is so skilled and uses materials that are much safer needs to be a priority when your life is at risk. The two surgeons operated together . My surgery took less than three hours compared to five hours or more had i had I seen the other general surgeon . Moreover, both surgeons were exceptional and I only had to stay in the hospital for several days.. Two weeks after my hernia repair , Dr.Towfigh. discharged me and told me I could even do sit ups to build my abdominal muscles once the drains were removed from my tummy tuck and the plastic surgeon approved, I don't know what would've happened to me had I seen the other surgeon but I suspect I would be still suffering from complications. Dr. Towfigh is one of only a few surgeons in lLos Angeles that can perform a noninvasive hernia repair. I also found her personality to be delightful and compassionate. When I was in the operating room waiting for the anesthesiologist to sedate me, Dr.Towfigh sensed I was nervous.She held my hand and smiled in the most comforting manner until I drifted off to sleep. After the operation, she made herself extremely available to me when I called her office with questions. A family member six months prior to my surgery had been diagnosed with a deep lobe tumor in her neck. She saw over six specialists all of whom would remove the deep lobe tumor through traditional open surgery. Each of these doctors predicted the same complications which included, severe pain when she ate for the rest of her life, a significant risk of permanent facial paralysis and drooling. Each of these individuals were associated with major universities and her insurance would have covered their fees. After a lot of research she came across one of the only doctors in the state who practices noninvasive surgeries for salivary glands. This surgery required two surgeons and even with her insurance it cost a lot of money. She came through the operation without any of the dire predictions made by the other doctors and is so grateful. The difference between noninvasive surgery and open surgery is significant. Dr.Towfigh is the only doctor you should see if you have a hernia and need repair.

April 15th, 2015
She is the best!
I was in pain for over a year and a half! I saw 5 doctors and 2 surgeons in IN and all of the treated me as if I was nuts. I was told by all that I DI ...

March 24th, 2015
Exceptional
Dr Towfigh is the best at what she does!!!!Superb staff, everything about my wife's appointment to her surgery was remarkable! Truly a model for other physicians and their staff!

December 30th, 2014
Everything about the experience with the staff, and Dr. Towfigh has been excellent. Making the appointment was easy, parking is easy, the staff is courteous and the appointment wait time was minimal. In no way was I rushed during the appointment, and Dr. Towfigh made sure all my questions were answered. I also received a follow up call to check on how I was doing following the procedure. This doctor and her staff really do care.

February 10th, 2014
Dr Towfigh literally saved my life after 2 years of dealing with small time doctors. She spotted my blockage immediately and I am now almost 100% better. She is my angle doctor!

September 4th, 2013
My angel doctor!
Dr Towfigh has been an outstanding doctor . After being very ill for 2 years and not getting any results here in the town I live in I made the trip down to Beverly Hills to see her. I ended up having a very long surgery at Cedar Sinai Hospital and she saved my life. I would not have made it another 6 months the way I was. I will have a long recovery ahead of me but I already feel better than I have in over 2 years! She is wonderful at explaining details of everything she had to do to me. Her staff is amazing at setting up times, directions, as we come from out of town to see her. I have never been more happy with a doctor as I am with her. Thank-God I found her when I did!

July 9th, 2013
Excellent Surgeon & Kind & Caring
I originally had an emergency surgery to repair an incarcerated umbilical hernia. The first doctor put in a mesh which caused me constant pain, even more so because i have fibromyalgia. I was referred to Dr. Towfigh and I have never been more impressed with a doctor in my life. She is a specialist in her field. Her knowledge is amazing, she is kind, gentle, thoughtful and gives you all the time you need. She is the only one who told me she could take out the mesh and repair the hernia properly. I am doing great now! She is both an amazing doctor and an amazing human being. Brava! *****

July 6th, 2012
Don't believe the NY Times infomercial she's no women's specialist
went to Dr. Towfigh because of NY Times article which was probably a PR piece. I showed her photos from a recent laproscopic look around that showed uterine to bowel adhesions. She then gave me the run around for a month and a half with pelvic floor studies and then tried to send me to a urologist saying that's what happens when we have babies. I haven't had any babies. I went to two pelvic floor specialists and guess what? No pelvic floor problems just the adhesions in the photos. They are recommending I see a general surgeon which is what I thought Dr. Towfigh is supposed to be.

May 21st, 2012
I found Dr.Towfigh to be warm and caring both during my initial exam and my procedure. I travelled across the country just to see her and it was well worth it!I have had 3 previous, unrelated surgeries, and never have had a surgeon to take the time and show the warmth and understanding that I received from Dr. Towfigh. She is a wonderful surgeon!She located and repaired my hernia and gave me my life back.

May 11th, 2012
I came from KY just to be seen by Dr.Towfigh. It was well worth my travel. I found her to be very compassionate and knowledgable. She diagnoised my hernia and later repaired it.I found her to be very comforting and reassuring on the day of my surgery. Thank you Dr. Towfigh for pursuing the impossible and helping women everywhere. You rock!!