Dr. Shyla Vengalil Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Shyla Vengalil?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

March 31st, 2015

Dr. Vengalil is an absolutely wonderful doctor. I was referred to her by my ob due to an abnormal polyp. When my husband and I first met her we fell in love and I knew this was the doctor I was supposed to have during my pregnancy. She was always easy to talk to and was very kind in her responses. She always told me to call when ever I had any questions and was quick to call back. I had a long labor and she was amazing during all of it. I will miss seeing her. I would recommend anyone with high risk to see her.

July 12th, 2013

BEWARE

Please understand that this review is based on my very special circumstances. However, Dr. Vengalil is trained to handle special circumstances but certainly has no bedside manner when it comes to doing so. I was referred to Dr. Vengalil by my regular OB when it was determined that although I was insistent that something was wrong with my baby they believed nothing was wrong and thought maybe a high risk doctor could get it through my head!! On my first visit with Dr. Vengalil I was assured that everything was fine and was told to come back in two weeks. During that period of time I contacted Dr. Vengalil on one occasion with some additional questions, with the intention of putting this first time mother at ease, and was treated extremely rudely on the telephone and essentially dismissed. Subsequently, upon my second meeting with Dr. Vengalil I was told that there was in fact something seriously wrong with my baby even though she had denied it previously and even appeared to refuse to discuss any findings at my first appointment with her. Dr. Vengalil when from telling me previously that everything was fine and my baby would merely be small to telling me on this second visit that I should seriously consider terminating my pregnancy. I was also told not to wait too long with my decision otherwise I could not terminate in the State of Michigan past 24 weeks and was further told that I would need to be referred to another hospital immediately for a second opinion becasue St. John's does not perform terminations due to it being a Catholic hospital. Needless to say I was in complete shock because Dr. Vengalil and my regular OB had both dissmissed me completely on every prior occasion when I insisted they help me becasuse I suspected something was wrong. Now only two weeks after our first meeting Dr. Vengalil was telling me that my best option my option was to terminate my baby. Funny how a doctor who works for a so called "Catholic" institution would have the mindset that termination would be the best answer. I was immediately referred elsewhere and on my way out the door I was told by Dr. Vengalil that sometimes "bad things happen to good people" and for good measure she added "you can always try again". To my knowledge as I walked out of her office that day my baby was still alive and I was certainly not focusing on "trying again". I was referred to U of M Women's Hospital and I cannot say enough about the way my case was handled there. I was treated with the utmost respect by every member of their staff and given the most excellent care I could have asked for!! If I have to credit Dr. Vengalil with one positive is that she had the foresight to refer me to U of M. From this point forward I will continue to drive to Ann Arbor for all my OB/GYN needs if only to avoid the possibility of ever having to come into contact with Dr. Vengalil or any of the St. John affliated doctors at Eastside Gynecology, my original OB/GYN who referred me to her, ever again. I am not going to lie and say that everything turned out well for my baby in the end but at least with the support of U of M's excellent staff I was able to carry my baby for several more weeks, give birth to her, and hold my precious angel before she went to live in heaven which was an option I was never given by Dr. Vengalil. Please be aware that not every doctor has your best interests at heart and if you feel like you are not being heard do not hesitate to find another doctor immediately who will listen to your concerns. It could mean all the difference in the world!!!

May 20th, 2008