Great Opthamologist show details Great Opthamologist
by Michael Luckenbill, Dallas on Feb 16th, 2015

Been seeing Dr. Gicheru for over 6 years. He is always cheerful and full of energy. My cataract surgery was flawless.

Rude and Incompetent Staff show details Rude and Incompetent Staff
by Jerry W on May 16th, 2014

I visited Dr. Gicheru in Southlake because of suspected cataracts which blurred my vision, and he confirmed this. Staff informed me of implant options, but it wasn't until the second visit when they tried to schedule the surgery that I was told that the basic implant wouldn't work because I had lasik surgery in 2001, and the charge would be almost $6,000. Meanwhile, they had overcharged me for office procedures and were again trying to charge for my third visit. It was only after I showed them the insurance statements that they agreed to reimburse. The staff then refused to send my insurance company a predetermination, saying their charges are pre-determined and "that's the way it is." The most time I spent with the Dr. himself is when he tried to talk me into paying for the surgery instead of going to the VA, which I am now forced to do. Overall a bad experience. Rude, condescending staff.

Serious God Complex / Worst Bedside Manner Ever show details Serious God Complex / Worst Bedside Manner Ever
by Heather M. on Apr 30th, 2014

I had the worst experience dealing w/ Dr. Gicheru I've had in raising four children and the multiple doctors and specialists that comes with that. My son had actually seen Dr. Gicheru previously, but we ended up with another Ophthalmologist for a myriad of reasons. That situation having resolved itself, I decided to go to Dr. Gicheru again as the office is now more convenient. I scheduled an appointment for my 12 year old son. AFTER dilating my sons eyes, Dr. Gicheru very aggressively informed me as we had seen another ophthalmologist over the last few years, he would only evaluate my son but we would need to come back for the rest of the scheduled visit. (Actually, he told me my son had probably "only seen an optometrist,' and got very put out when I said 'no, Dr.X is an ophthalmologist). I asked if there was a medical reason they couldn't perform the rest of the appointment, and he angrily informed me there was not, it was simply policy. I'm pretty friendly and easygoing, but I have to say I've never been treated like this by any service provider. The Dr's comments included "If you want my expertise, this is the way it is." Although I regret it, I tried to placate the Doctor to salvage the appointment my son, as he had been pulled from school early and was sitting there with dilated eyes. The doctor had a few more condescending words spoken in a condescending tone and literally just stormed out of the office. I'm still not really sure what the issue was. Apparently he wanted another visit fee, as he said there was no medical reason and his staff had scheduled the double appointment. This doctor is incredibly rude. Het was needlessly aggressive from the outset, was unwilling to answer any questions, and my only though as I was leaving was 'I feel sorry for his wife.'

Excellent Courteous Service show details Excellent Courteous Service
Aug 13th, 2012

I love Dr. Gicheru and his staff. I recently had Lasik surgery with him. I had a wonderful experience. He is not a mill like so many other Lasik places I have heard about. He took his time with me and made sure all my questions were answered before my surgery. He is super meticulous and made sure all my readings matched and he carefully explained everything to me. My surgery was quick and the staff made sure I was comfortable during my surgery. The best part?....I have the best vision I have ever experienced!! I am so happy! I would highly recommend this doc to anyone, go now.

Apr 20th, 2011

Dr. Gicheru is an excellent doctor. I was his patient for a couple years. I quit going to him because of his rude and incompetent staff. It was too far of a drive to deal with the unproffessionalism. It's too bad because I really liked Dr. Gicheru.