Dr. Smita Patel MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.1

April 5th, 2015
Very caring and compassionate
Honestly, I don't understand all the negative reviews on here. My son has been seeing Dr. Patel for several years and is being treated for anxiety and depression, and I have nothing but positive things to say. My son trusts her completely which is saying a lot, and while her practice is very busy, we never feel rushed. Her approach is very holistic and while she prescribes medication, that's only part of her treatment. She also discusses diet, exercise, and meditation as very important as well. She is very a very caring and compassionate person.

April 8th, 2014
The worse I've seen in a long time
I was a former patient of Dr. Patel's roughly she was a little rough around the edges but nothing I couldn't handle. I kept going for the convenience. I eventually stopped. So a few months back I decided to give her another try, she not only did she treat me disrespectful by giving me an appointment then deciding she wasn't taken any new patients this was after I had waited a month for the appt. My condition is serious and a little honestly would have gone a long way because now I have to wait another 3 weeks for my next appointment with another doctor. She has no sensitivity to her patients and it shows.

July 18th, 2013
The two times I went there, I waited about 45 minutes each time. She never gave me an update or treatment plan for my child, was rude to me on the phone, never returned my phone calls, diagnosed my child within 3 hours and wanted to put her on psychotropic meds without speaking to me longer than 15 minutes. She never discussed how my child was doing, never followed up during a crisis and said she couldn't help us any longer. She dumped my child's treatment in the middle of a crisis and literally said to me "Good luck my dear." I've never had such unprofessional behavior from someone that was supposed to be so good.

November 20th, 2012
This "Dr." needs her own Doctor
Now that I have read other reviews about Dr. Patel I am feeling somewhat relieved after entire day spent sobbing. I'm seeing that what happened to me was not about me but had everything to do with something that is very wrong with this woman. I am suffering from depression and general lethargy and admitted I had not made an appointment yet with an actual therapist as Dr. Patel had suggested. She ended our session and told me she was closing my file since I obviously had no respect for her. What kind of DR. makes my issues and missteps about her personally. There was something just so wrong about how she handled the situation.I decided to go back into her office to clear up any misunderstandings since I was sure I must have misunderstood what she was saying. Instead she asked me to leave, told me I was always "hostile and demanding and disrespectful." If I was ANY of what she claimed (I obviously disagree) what kind of DR. resorts to name calling with a patient suffering from depression.I begged to to explain how I could have possibly made that impression and she said I missed an appointment over 7 months prior. That's all she gave me. I was sobbing so hard from shear shock that I could be treated so meanly in what is supposed to be an environment of healing and compassion. She finally said, "FIne! sit down and I'll talk to you!" But by then I knew I could not trust this person and had to leave.Please be aware of this person. YOu don't know me at all but NO Dr. under any circumstances should interpret a patient's issues as a personal affront to them. We are there because we are coping, and maybe forgetful and maybe even rude if we are having an episode. I'm paying a Dr. to make it about ME for a measly 15 minutes. This is not about you.This woman set me pretty far back in my treatment journey and I hope writing this will save someone else the pain I endured from someone I should not have put my trust in.

September 4th, 2012
Run Away from this Doctor
This was the first appointment I've had with Dr. Patel. It will also be my last. Dr. Patel's website says, "The growth in my practice is a testimony to the caring, compassionate and personal treatment I have given my patients for the past 20 years." I found that statement couldn't be farther from the truth.On the plus side, Dr. Patel seems to be thorough in trying to find out about your past medication regimen and wanting to pinpoint what's wrong with you. Unfortunately, her methods of reaching that objective are horrible.Even though I arrived on time, Dr. Patel was late for our appointment by 20 minutes. Dr. Patel only does medication management, as opposed to talk therapy, so this in addition to her tardiness made the appointment feel particularly chaotic and rushed. I hoped for her to be compassionate and understanding, but she was accusatory, confrontational, and impatient from the beginning. It seemed to all stem from the fact that after only 10 minutes of talking, she wanted to take me off of a medication I've been on for 15 years. While I said I was amenable to idea, I told her I was wary to do this under my current depressed state, so wanted to have a good support system with a talk therapist and be in a better emotional position before doing so. She also wanted to put me on a medication I had taken previously but which had given me no benefit. When I made her aware of that fact and asked whether we could try another medication I had been researching, she was adverse to the idea since she said she had a patient who had tried that particular med but had no effect with it. Letting the experience of one former patient dictate her practice is hardly scientific, especially since different people react to the same medications differently. In essence, Dr. Patel seems to have a one-size-fits-all treatment regimen, and she appears to get angry at the suggestion of methods of treatment. It almost seemed that she had the attitude of, "How dare a layman like you try to tell me how you should be treated?!" In the end, she angrily dismissed me with, "I don't think I'm going to be able to fit you into the practice." There was no suggestion of other providers who might better fit my needs, or statement that could give me some hope. For a person with severe depression, this was obviously devastating, and is the opposite of how one would expect a provider to behave.

July 23rd, 2012
Excellent psychiatrist very caring.
I started seeing Dr. Patel in 2004 thru the present and I have never had a problem with her professional services. Everytime I go in for an appointment she spends at least a half hour to 45 min. with me. She DOES NOT just hand out pills as others have stated, she carefully listens to my situation and prescribed me medication that I am still on and have not had a problem with them. I would "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" Dr. Smita H. Patel, MD, DFAPA to anyone that needs good care. I emphise her name because their are other Dr. Patel's out there. Dr. Patel has sent me to get blood tests on a regular bases to keep track of medication levels, she also has me check in with my PCP regularly.

July 21st, 2012
I want those minutes back
I had an appointment with Dr. Patel, so I arrived, fifteen minutes in advance of my appointment. I knocked on her door, rang the doorbell, nobody answered. So I waited. And waited. I knocked on the door again. No answer. I called her phone. Twice. No response.In total, I waited 45 minutes before I left. Now, it's quite possible an emergency of some sort held her up, but no one called me to let me know, she had no staff in her office, and the other reviews lead me to believe this might be a habitual problem for her.

July 10th, 2012
unquailified
She seems to be on oins and needles, she actually ran out of her office when our child got upset, acted like she has never seen a child cry before. Suggested we seek help elsewhere.

January 3rd, 2011
Callous, rude, and unprofessional. Belittled me in front of her office staff (who have always been very kind.) Does not seem interested in the patient's input regarding a treatment that would make them comfortable.

September 15th, 2010
Beyond the call of duty
I recently had a crisis and called Dr. Patel's service at 3:30 in the morning on a Sunday. They paged her and she called me back within 10 minutes. After speaking with me on the phone, she volunteered to come in early to her office (7:30 am) to see me. I was in a lot of pain and she helped me - I don't know what I would have done without her help.

August 11th, 2010
A doctor who can work miracles!
I don't understand where the other reviewers come from. I have been a patient of Dr. Patel's for 5 years now and I have NEVER EVER received any bad word or impolite action let alone rude behavior. She has a great personality and is a very caring and compassionate psychiatrist. The best thing is that she is a great listener and has a smile for anyone who is around her.The office staff are also very efficient and polite. There is a live person to talk to every time you call at the office and by chance you have to leave a message the call gets returned within and hour with prompt appointments/ actions.All in all a great experience to be in her treatment!!I will recommend her highly to anyone.

July 22nd, 2010
THE WORSE DOCTOR EVER
Dr. Patel is completely rude and insensitive. The only thing she cares about is the money. She is also known for misdiagnosing and heavily medicating without patients without spending enough time to get to know them or their situation, mostly seems like she just doesn't care. I agree with the other review, she needs to get professional help for herself. Her staff is also rude. You would do yourself a justice to find another doctor. DO NOT GO TO HER!!!