Dr. Sonya Vieira MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

February 11th, 2013
Special lady
I unexpectedly found myself laughing with her during appointments. I wish she were my psychologist as well as my psychiatrist.

April 2nd, 2012
the negative reviews
Both the negative reviews are obviously written by the same person. Ranting about a doc who did not push alternative treatments (when people generally go to docs for advice about FDA approved medications) is absurd. I hate to see a doc's reputation slammed by a disgruntled patient who could have just taken the over the counter treatment without harassing a doctor about their lack of experience using Omega 3 or whatever else it was this patient wanted to take.

August 18th, 2011
Funny, Compassionate, and Respectful
Dr. Vieira is easy to talk to and never pushy with her opinions or treatment options. She goes out of her way to make herself available to patients and seems to take a genuine interest in both her profession and the well-being of the people she treats. I would highly recommend her as both a psychiatrist and therapy provider.

August 10th, 2011
I'm not sure where the other raters are coming from, but Dr. Vieira was very knowledgeable about several alternative forms of treatment for my condition. It is true that she focuses more on medications supported by rigorous scientific testing, but she also advised me knowledgeably about OTC supplements and dietary changes relevant to my condition. She's also funny and laidback, putting even anxious patients at ease.

July 30th, 2011
Great and compassionate doctor
It is so difficult to find a doctor that is knowledgeable, yet caring and compassionate, but I have found that in Dr. Vieira. She spent a lot of time with me and was able to correctly diagnose and cure my problem. She really helped me get through an extremely difficult time in my life and for that, I am eternally grateful to Dr. Vieira. I would highly recommend her to anybody that was looking for a great psychiatrist.

May 19th, 2010
Is it too much to expect the doctor to know about OTC alternatives--or at least admit she doesn't instead of making false statements about them?
She made a false scientific statement about an over-the-counter dietary supplement that may be effective for depression, dismissed it as definitely completely ineffective, and appeared annoyed that I asked about it. Granted, it has not been thoroughly studied because there is comparatively little financial incentive for extensive clinical research as to its efficacy and safety for depression. ( E.H. Turner et al. / Pharmacology & Therapeutics 109 (2006), p. 335) Evidently, the lack of financial incentive for knowing about this substance also affected this doctors ability to provide accurate information.When I subsequently asked her for evidence supporting her false statement, she admitted she misspoke, and backpedaled, admitting the supplement helps some people.We should expect more from professionals! Demand that your doctor provide quality guidance and be more than a shill for the pharmaceutical industry! Inform & empower yourself by reading Dr. Peter Breggin.