Dr. Standiford Helm MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

January 28th, 2017
Big Disappointment
This doctor used to be a decent and professional human being; a long time ago, but not anymore, based on my experience. He is downright verbally abusive towards me, as well as condescending and sarcastic, he stopped listening a long time ago, and seems to always be in a hurry to get out of the room . Not sure what happened to him, but he doesn't seem to be concerned about the welfare of his patients--at least, from my observations. This has been my experience alone. I don't recommend him..

March 12th, 2016
Want a rude Dr?
Heaven forbid you have an emergency and need to speak to this Dr. after hours! Completely rude and condescending! He was always the on call Dr. when I was going to this office. Never was he any help!

March 6th, 2016
Consumer
Check my yelp review regarding these people ...Complete Morons is the nicest way to describe the support staff of this doctor....

February 20th, 2016
I hate to say this but it seemed more of a pill mill clinic to me.

April 23rd, 2015
No Follow-up or Care
Dr. Chen was nice but did not really care and follow through, plus office staff were pathetic. I couldn't even get an order for an MRI after calling & calling. Frustrating! See my more thorough Yelp review.

March 3rd, 2015
Bad doctor
Horrible, abusive doctor. They used to have a nice PA there called Lilly. She was wonderful. Dr. Helm is a nightmare.

February 21st, 2014
I'm a patient of Dr.Helm for the past 4 years. He has always been very positive when I was very doubtful. Not every patient is the same as many people have successfully had a scary. It didn't work for me. Though we tried and failed I was on pain meds and now I'm off all pain meds. I still have chronic pain along with many other problem with my neck back and carpal tunnel. But with out Dr helm and his understanding and thoroughly explanation of treatment. I very well could be opioid dependant. I am a mom and did not like the way the medication made me feel. I told Dr.Helm I didn't like who I was. I'm choosing to live with pain and coping with it. Then opioid dependence. I will always recommend Dr. Helm to anyone who needs pain management. Thanks for never giving up on me Dr. Helm. Much love

February 17th, 2014
awesome doctor
I have been a patient of Dr helm for a while. Hands down the best Dr and best staff. They treat me with respect. And treat my back with the best care. Very happy.

January 20th, 2014
You are lucky to be at Dr. Helm's
Dr. Helms compassion and his willingness to stay late in the office one evening to inject my back with steroid-markane to mitigate the vicious and massive attack of Shingles I contracted made a huge difference in my life. I had just finished severe chemotherapy for Lymphoma and my immune system was very weak. Of course, Shingles being a vicious and opportunistic disease, struck. I was simply overwhelmed, with lessions all over my back. Unfortunately, I did not recognize that it was shingles until it was too late for anti-viral medication to be of much help. By the time I got to Dr. Helm's, I was a mess. It was very late in the day and I had gone to the office to pick up the paperwork necessary for the first visit, which was scheduled for three days later. When Dr. Helms Office Manager saw what the situation was, she got Dr. Helm. He stayed until 6;30 doing all he could to make the incredible, indescribable pain and further nerve damage as manageable as possible.We were the last out of the office that night, and we turned out the lights. My immune system has not improved in the past six years and the Lymphoma has recurred once. During this time Dr. Helm and his staff have treated me for the nerve damage that did occur, and the periodic breakouts that have occurred. I am convinced that if it were not for Dr. Helm's willingness to go far beyond what the average Dr. would have done, my life would be close to, if not, totally unbearable. I firmly believe that as miserable as I am from the Shingles pain that remains, I would have been far, far, far worse if it were not for that day Dr. Helm chose to help me. I was one sad sack when I went into that office. If it were not for the help I got, the nerve damage may still be across my entire back and side, making life unbearable. Thanks Dr. Helm

December 11th, 2013
Exceptional patient care
Dr. Helm and his professional staff has made it possible to live with severe pain. Having seen other Doctors in the past, I was impressed with the amount of time and thorough review of my personal concerns with respect to pain management and associated treatment(s). From Dr. Helm, himself, his PA, Dr.Nguyen and the entire staff are caring, attentive and professional in every respect and I would recommend this practice as THE place to find empathy and relief from debilitating pain in Orange County. Although the evaluation tools seem cumbersome at first, it is very obvious that these tools are used as the barometer for my individual patient education and the management of my extreme pain. I have seen noticeable results with respect to range of motion and pain minimization while being under the care of Dr. Helm and his staff.

March 29th, 2013
Patient
If not for Dr. Helm and his staff, I wouldn't be walking normal today. Since 1981, I have suffered from various back problems beginning with a bulging disc. After a fall down some concrete stairs in 2000, the pain became acute and unbearable, Thankfully, I was referred to Dr. Helm by my primary care doctor. Through the years, Dr. Helm has provided various remedies that gave me much needed relief. I have always needed some type of medication, but it has always been secondary to the real treatment. Dr. Helm's arsenal of potential solutions have been numberous and medically advanced. I sum up my 13 years of experience as Dr. Helm's patient by sharing 'another' injury I had last summer. Within 10 days after a fluke injury, I couldn't even take a single baby step without crutches, and resorted to riding in an office chair around the house. Dr. Helm took the situation at hand, and I was up walking NORMALLY within weeks. I highly recommend Dr. Helm and his staff. I recognize it has been a doctor/patient partnership. The patient, myself included, must participate in the healing, such as back exercises. My injury last summer wouldn't have occurred if I was doing my exercises to keep my back/core strong. The internet provides us the forum to praise or complain ... complaining is so easily motivating. So for every complaint I feel compelled to write, I am writing a positive recommendation for a service that deserves praise. Dr. Helm deserves this hands down. Someone stated that Dr. Helm involves himself with the insurance and media industries for self-serving reasons. From first hand experience, I know this not to be true. For example, another doctor was wrongly bashed by the local media. Dr. Helm and many other medical professionals rightfully came to his defense. Personally, I want my doctors to stay current and fight for what is right. I find Dr. Helm's ethics to be right on the mark. Thank you Dr. Helm. And a special thanks to Kylea Jennings for all your professional guidance and support.

February 25th, 2013
R.N.
I've seen Dr. Helm for 23 years. He was a good doctor ten years ago. Unfortunately, he's more concerned with what is going on in the media than he is with what he knows will best help you. He allows insurance companies and reporters to dictate your care, even if he knows better. To get an appointment with Dr. Helm is difficult. His office staff has an unusual high rate of turn-over. So, you're always dealing with someone who's new at their job. This goes for all departmental staff and is very frustrating. Dr. Helm is a good business man. He fires staff in order to hire cheaper help. He caters to the insurance company rather than the patient. If you have a choice, find a different doctor; one who cares about the quality of YOUR life, not his own.