Dr. Stephanie Shaw MD Patient Reviews

• Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Round Rock, TX

• Good
  • Bad

June 10th, 2016
Dr. Shaw and her staff are awesome. She is very busy, but spends all the time you need for exam and questions. It is hard to get appointment with Dr Shaw or her NP. But well worth the wait.

March 11th, 2016
Rude New Patient Receptionist
I called to try to make a new patient appointment and received the most unhelpful rude person that I've encountered in a long time. I asked about accepted insurance (already knowing that they do take my insurance from their website) and was told that they only take some kinds of insurance. She did not offer to find out or verify just acted like I was bothering her. She did interrupt me long enough to say that I must have a referral from another doctor to make an appointment at "deepwoods". I explained that my insurance did not require a referral and that it would be a waste of my money for me to that. Again she did not care. She said I could talk with her supervisor. I told her that I will just go somewhere else, after all I am the (potential) customer and deserve better than this. Then she just transferred my call to her supervisor to get me off her plate, and of course I received a voice mail. Too bad too because I have been told by some friends and family that the doctors here are good. Guess I'll never know because of such horrible customer service.

October 23rd, 2015
I saw Dr. Shaw for hypothyroid. She was great. GPs and surgeons I'd seen before were only concerned with getting me in the normal TSH range. She was concernced with getting me back to my presurgery TSH levels. Very happy with her care and thorough explanations.

June 24th, 2015
Great

March 23rd, 2015
Good, but cares more about the bottom dollar.
Summary: Amanda, the CNS, is great. Erica, the nurse, is awful. Dr. Shaw worries more about the bottom money line, than her patient. Up until last week, I would have given this group a 4-star rating. Prior to last year, I would've given this group 5 stars. In the several years I have been with this group, I have been Stephanie Shaw's patient, but have only seen her twice. I usually see her CNS, Amanda Bonazzi, for whom I would personally still give a 5 star rating. Over the course of the last couple of years, however, my life has been incredibly hectic trying to finish my doctoral degree, taking care of my ailing mother (who I also took to see these people), working full time and taking care of my 3 children. Things intensified in late 2012, and not only did my mother pass from her illnesses in 2013, but I also lost my aunt from pancreatic cancer, and my grandmother - all within about 9 months of each other. During my second visit with Dr. Shaw, I explained what I was facing and mentioned about the pressure put on when I renewed prescriptions from the nurse. Dr. Shaw specifically told me that it wouldn't be a problem unless it had been more than a year since I'd seen her and that she would note my chart. Yet, a few months ago, the nurse, Erica, called and announced she couldn't renew my script without my being seen. I explained to her what Shaw had told me; also explained that I'd just started a new job after graduation, that is located an hour away, and that the university's insurance system now required referrals. Erica was condescending and rude, but she renewed the scripts. I didn't complain at that time. Then I needed to refill the script again two weeks ago, and again Erica called me using her condescending and rude manner to say that she would not renew them until I'd come in. Making an appointment was pointless, because I hadn't gotten in to see the new primary yet. I reminded her that I wasn't due to come in until June, which would've marked one year. She eventually admitted she'd already filled them. This time I felt that I needed to submit a complaint to the general office through the only means I could find, which was a contact us form on their website--which appears to be down now. Incidentally, Erica lied and hadn't refilled them, because Walgreens had to request again! To top it all off, last week I get a certified letter from Dr. Shaw announcing it would be in my best interest to find another doctor within 30 days. No reason given. Tried to call immediately, but no one there could talk to me. Called today to find out why and it turns out it was because I was missing the 3 month appointments. No warning to say "hey, if we don't see you every 3 months, we are going get rid of you." The office manager said I'd missed two appointments and been sent letters. I do remember receiving one, but not the other. Both were during the time of my mother's and aunt's illnesses. And those were for scheduled and forgotten appointments, not for not scheduling a 3 month appointment. They were also over a year ago. My understanding was that the three month appointments were recommendations, not rules. The concern, the office manager said, was for liability. Fine, I get that. I also think a little more communication, especially when it is obvious a miscommunication has occurred (Dr. Shaw saying a year, for example). Erica could've explained this to me during her rants at me. Instead, she agreed that Dr. Shaw had said that, but she still had to call me? Dr. Shaw seemed a bit more human that this and I'm surprised by her lack of communication before making this decision. However, I'm not sure why I'm confused considering I'd only seen her twice in all the time I'd been there. Again, Amanda is great. Erica, the nurse, is awful. Dr. Shaw worries more about the bottom money line, than her patient.

January 12th, 2015
If there were more stars I would fill them out. Professional, smart, knowledgeable, and most of all comforting during a tough time in my life. Dr. Shaw is outstanding!!!!

March 21st, 2013
What are you looking for?
She definitely gives you an accurate reading of numbers…if you have thyroid issues. If you are diabetic…eat better and see her nurse practitioner. Good luck getting past the “Texas Diabetes and Endocrinology” phone staff when scheduling with her and get use to the phone system if you need to follow up or have questions. If it is a convenient location and you are willing to deal with horrible service on the phone and uncompassionate office management then Shaw is very knowledgeable and engaging.

March 18th, 2013
Dr Shaw is the most pleasant and compassionate physician I have ever had. She is very thorough, sincere, personable and listens to my concerns. She takes her job serious and gets down to the root of my problems. I trust her totally. She is also very informative and explains everything to me, including test results. The office staff is nice and I am seen in a timely manner. The reason it is hard to get in to see Dr Shaw, or have to schedule months in advance are because she is such a good doctor and have alot of patients.

October 24th, 2012