Dr. Stephen Chow MD Patient Reviews

3.6

• Good
  • Bad

June 10th, 2017
Unprofessional and agitated by questions
If you expect your doctor to be thorough, to take the time to explain the diagnosis, and to make an attempt at civility, AVOID Dr. Chow. He talked over me when I tried to give details about my knee pain and made little eye contact. After a five minute exam, he started writing a referral for physical therapy. When I asked for a bit more explanation of where my knife-like pain was coming from, he rapidly shot a bunch of medical jargon at me, interspersed with "OK?"..."OK?" He came off as very agitated and unprofessional. I'm not an idiot -- I'm a Johns Hopkins grad student with a background in clinical research, and I still couldn't tell you what he said aside from "I'm referring you to physical therapy, but it might not do anything." For all I know, his diagnosis may be spot on, but I can't trust it until I get a second opinion. (Oh! He DID see some sort of lesion on my MRI, which he quickly described as a "benign" something or other, but by then, I knew better than to ask for any further detail.) I would honestly rank this as the worst MD appointment I've ever had.

May 25th, 2016
A 1 time patient
Worst Dr. Visit I've ever been to. He's rude and arrogant. Made me feel like he was doing me a favor by seeing me. His billing is something I've never seen before. I would never tell a friend to see him if I wanted to keep that person as a friend.

April 25th, 2016
I have seen Dr. Chow for my knee over the years and shots were not working anymore, so a total knee replacement was my only option. He is such a awesome surgeon, I feel totally at ease with him, granted his bedside manner actually has gotten better, I'm sure it is frustrating to deal with us patients at our worst time, in life and in so much pain. But he fought with the insurance company for me to get me the best hardware available, and I really appreciated that. The knee surgery was a tough one, but oh so worth it after his hard work and expertise, if you followup with therapy at Apple Valley Physical Therapy you will be good as new. I am. Thank you to all of you.

January 27th, 2016
Dr. Stephen Chow literally gave me my life back! 2 hip replacements, down time is minimum, pain management is important to him, which is great for the patient. Follow up care is great. He seems to take such pride in his work and that makes him in my opinion an A+ Surgeon.

November 16th, 2015
Over time I gradually lost coordination in my left hand and eventually lost the ability to play the keyboard. Dr. Chow performed two surgeries on my left wrist and elbow. The results were excellent. Now I have full use of my left hand and can play again. Dr. Chow is highly recommended!

October 1st, 2015
speechless
Dr. Chow was very arrogant, didnt let me ask any questions, he was very stuck on himself, made me feel belittled by the way he talked to me. I dont go to Dr to get put down and by the end of visit I was in tears. I am not one to complain or talk bad about anyone, I will not be going back to him for my follow up appointment.

May 31st, 2015
With my knee pain Dr.chow gave me options where the other Dr I was seeing didn't offer any options. He had an outstanding bed side manner, he spends time with you, doesn't hurry you, very very professional. I love Dr.chow and recommended him very highly.

April 9th, 2015
I am 78 years old and had heard real horror stories of knee replacement surgery. The pain got so bad I had no choice, I had to get it done. Dr Chow is an excellent surgeon. He is very meticulous. If you do everything he tells you to do, you will heal quickly and completely. I can do things I haven't done in years. He has a great reputation in the Medical world. When I got my knee xrayed the Tech said "We have to do a good job, Dr Chow is very particular." I wouldn't go to anyone else.

July 21st, 2014
Poor attitude
Very condescending. Didn't look at my records properly. Began to diagnose based on old MRI. Didn't apologize - defensive. Horrible manner. To be fair, since he didn't do surgery on me I can't evaluate his skills.

February 15th, 2014
Worst doctor I have EVER seen! He has a TERRIBLE bedside manner and is incredibly CONDESCENDING. I will NEVER return and wouldn't even trust him with my animals.

October 17th, 2013
Knee surgery
I was very afraid to have knee surgery. I had heard horror stories about extreme pain and botched outcomes. But Dr Chow put me at ease completely. My leg had bowed out as if it was collapsing and I was bone on bone pain. I woke up to a perfectly straight leg and a knee of iron. I would encourage everyone to go to Dr Chow before anyone else. And he referred me to Apple Valley Therapy. There has been no pain at all but every time I go I get a little more nimble and strong. When you have the right doctor and therapist you have a great outcome.

September 29th, 2013
Very pleased
My experience with Dr. Chow was very good, I have not a single complaint with him or his staff. Dr. Chow explained everything to me about my surgery before it was done in terms that a lay person can understand. He is pleasant and has a sense of humor about him, I felt very comfortable in his presence. He did a remarkable job on my Carpal Tunnel Release. I highly recommend his skills as a surgeon. If ever the need for an orthopedic I will definantly go back to him! .