Dr. Stephen Hanks MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

March 8th, 2017
Excellent experience
Had extreme back surgery eight years ago by Dr Hanks. After eight years, my back is still holding up well. Can't thank this doctor enough.

December 14th, 2016
Find another Doctor
Wait times are horrible every time I have been in to see him. 2 hours the last time I saw him and he blamed his staff for the wait. No follow up after my last test by him or his fellow doctor he referred me to. I tried to schedule another visit using my portal a month ago and no one called back. If you have problems after your surgery chances are he will try to dump you. I've gone a year after my neck surgery and still have problems. Finding another doctor after you've been worked on by someone else is impossible.

July 11th, 2016
Dr Hanks is very conservative and works with you to determine the right solution. He is very caring and takes the time to explain different actions that need to be taken

November 19th, 2015
Bad doctor
Dr. Hanks is the only doctor I've ever seen who did not introduce himself, provide an explanation of the procedure, risks etc. He wasn't going to provide any explanations for follow up until I asked.Then he said he didn't need to see me again but I could go to Phoenix and see Dr. Damper if I wanted to. Practically ran out of the room. I'll never go to him again and certainly won't recommend him to anyone . Terrible excuse for a doctor.

October 29th, 2015
Good Doctor perhaps but incompetent staff
totally incompetent staff, unable to read their own appointment calendar to make proper appointment; illiterate: cannot read and spell patient's name. They do not return multiple phone calls. Useless.

March 7th, 2015
Beware !
Non-supportive of patients on Workman's comp-"inundate him with paperwork". Resorts to expletives to communicate frustration when you express your concerns related to your injuries and he is not in tune nor interested. Gives vague description of injections - as to sites, techniques, dosages, type of medications used - FDA approved or not ?, risks minimalized , by whom given, personal rate of success administering them ,experience , and all the while resorting to them as a last resort before he operates on you ,which he would "love to do". No other options mentioned. Not too fond of the inconvenience of paperwork created by writing orders for physical therapy for Workman's comp patients who "don't want to go back to work". Consistently late with no explanation -common courtesy related to doctor to patient relationship-one may expect-overall rude mannerisms not conducive to professionalism expected of person of his pretentious stature.

November 23rd, 2013
Unparalleled treatment
Dr Hanks has been an incredible advocate for me. His first suggestion was non surgical injections, which here a miracle. I left the building pain free for the first time in over 2 years. When a surgical solution seemed appropriate, he fought for me with the insurance company and the device manufacturer spending countless (non-billable) hours to make sure I got the care I needed. If you have back problems, you won't find a better doctor.

March 4th, 2013
Dr. Hanks
Today I waited 2 hrs. to see Dr. Hanks to see my daughter whom is 11 and fractured her arm. After waiting 2 hrs we were called to the back where Dr. Hanks came in and did not introduce himself or give a hand shake. He did not acknowledge my daughter or I . He sat down to quickly review my daughters X-rays for less than a minute. This is where I felt the need to explain what the emergency room explained to me of my daughters elbow. He right away interrupted me with the first thing out of his mouth was, and I quote, "never listen to northwest emergency room doctors." At which point my phone rang and it was the emergency room we were at. I quickly told them we were at the orthopedics. I hung up the phone when Dr. Hanks then proceeded to explain to me he was the best in tucson and had a lobby full of patients and was to busy to build a rapport with me so I could understand. I then asked if I could have a moment to speak. He instantly interrupted me again and said, no! Dr. Hanks proceeded to tell me in front of my daughter I was banned from Tucson Orthopedics. I wrapped my daughters arm back up personally. Where we were given a paper to check out. My 11 year old daughter looked at me while crying, and said, "mommy, aren't doctors supposed to help people?" With out an explanation as to what was wrong with my daughters elbow/ arm. He was completely unprofessional and rude. As I am a school teacher I could ever imagine why people like Dr. Hanks is in a public service profession and has little to none people skills. I will never go back to Dr. Hanks.

October 5th, 2012
worst experience
Would never recommend this doctor.Uncaring, in a hurry, doesn't listen, incomplete explination of xrays, no help.

April 5th, 2012
Neck Surgery
Recently this doctor had done an operation on a neck injury that one of my parents had sustained. While not wanting to keep him in the hospital very long, he discharged him after only 2 days after the neck surgery. Unfortunately, as we were getting to leave, he suffered severe pain once moved and ended up in ICU for 2 weeks. Dr. Hanks never showed after the surgery or the incident. he never even returned phone calls. And now my parent needs another surgery in order to fix a problem that should have been fixed the first time.

April 28th, 2011
Dr Hanks is the best. He spends as much time as needed, answers questions and is always available.

August 4th, 2017