Orthopaedic Surgery - Spine, including Tumor, Trauma and Degenerative Disorders
6320 N La Cholla Blvd
Ste 200
Tucson, AZ 85741
(520) 382-8200
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  Unparalleled treatment  |  show details
by JKL on Nov 22nd, 2013

Dr Hanks has been an incredible advocate for me. His first suggestion was non surgical injections, which here a miracle. I left the building pain free for the first time in over 2 years. When a surgical solution seemed appropriate, he fought for me with the insurance company and the device manufacturer spending countless (non-billable) hours to make sure I got the care I needed. If you have back problems, you won't find a better doctor.

|  show details
by Renee Johnson on Aug 8th, 2013

No I would not choose Dr Stephen Hanks again. He has absolutely no regard for his patient. He was very late for the appointment and rushed through it without answering my questions and concerns.

|  Dr. Hanks  |  show details
by Elementary education teacher on Mar 4th, 2013

Today I waited 2 hrs. to see Dr. Hanks to see my daughter whom is 11 and fractured her arm. After waiting 2 hrs we were called to the back where Dr. Hanks came in and did not introduce himself or give a hand shake. He did not acknowledge my daughter or I . He sat down to quickly review my daughters X-rays for less than a minute. This is where I felt the need to explain what the emergency room explained to me of my daughters elbow. He right away interrupted me with the first thing out of his mouth was, and I quote, "never listen to northwest emergency room doctors." At which point my phone rang and it was the emergency room we were at. I quickly told them we were at the orthopedics. I hung up the phone when Dr. Hanks then proceeded to explain to me he was the best in tucson and had a lobby full of patients and was to busy to build a rapport with me so I could understand. I then asked if I could have a moment to speak. He instantly interrupted me again and said, no! Dr. Hanks proceeded to tell me in front of my daughter I was banned from Tucson Orthopedics. I wrapped my daughters arm back up personally. Where we were given a paper to check out. My 11 year old daughter looked at me while crying, and said, "mommy, aren't doctors supposed to help people?" With out an explanation as to what was wrong with my daughters elbow/ arm. He was completely unprofessional and rude. As I am a school teacher I could ever imagine why people like Dr. Hanks is in a public service profession and has little to none people skills. I will never go back to Dr. Hanks.

|  worst experience  |  show details
Oct 4th, 2012

Would never recommend this doctor.Uncaring, in a hurry, doesn't listen, incomplete explination of xrays, no help.

|  Neck Surgery  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

Recently this doctor had done an operation on a neck injury that one of my parents had sustained. While not wanting to keep him in the hospital very long, he discharged him after only 2 days after the neck surgery. Unfortunately, as we were getting to leave, he suffered severe pain once moved and ended up in ICU for 2 weeks. Dr. Hanks never showed after the surgery or the incident. he never even returned phone calls. And now my parent needs another surgery in order to fix a problem that should have been fixed the first time.

|  Poor care for an US Army Combat Veteran still on Active Duty  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2012

My name is Sergeant First Class Michael DiNicola. I am Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) veteran and currently still serving on Active duty with the AZ ARNG. I sustained a back injury while serving in Afghanistan from falling off an Apache helicopter and landing on a rocket pod onto my spine during a rocket/mortar attack. A few months later, I sustained an additional injury from falling while trying to make it to my assigned bunker while under a mortar attack, wearing my IBA (50lb protective vest). When I landed on my fall, I snapped my back at the back seam of the vest, in the same place I previously injured it a few months earlier. When I got back to the states, I endured 2 series of steroid injections in 4 years which were not successful for my pain management. After about 4 years of seeing pain management doctors, I was ordered by my PCP & Pain Management doctor to get a new x-ray, & MRI taken prior to being referred to a neurosurgeon; Dr. Steven E. Hanks (Tucson Orthopedic Institute). My MRI reading stated that I have a herniated L-5/S-1, torn & bulging disc, and my siatic nerve was being pinched. My X-ray results stated that I may have a possible fracture on my L-5, as well. I took all my records (from 4 years) & made a referral appointment with Dr. Hank's. Although, I was set with an appointment with his assistant. Dr. Hank's assistant read my MRI, x-rays & Pain Management doctor's notes and was genuinely concerned that I had 2 fractures on my L-5. He referred me to "Radiology Unlimited" for a cat scan. I was told that upon the cat scan arriving to Tucson Orthopedics Institute (3-5 business days), I would be called for a follow up appointment for a cat scan reading. I was not called, so, I called them 2 weeks later to make an appointment.When I arrived, I waited approximately 20 minutes to see Dr. Hanks. He spent approximately 3 minutes looking at my MRI & told me that I only have congenital spine disease like 99% of the population who are bipedal. I asked him if he was looking at the cat-scan & he said he can tell everything from my MRI. HE DIDN'T EVEN EXPLAIN MY CAT SCAN, the reason why I was there in the first place.I had a few frustrated words with him & he didnt seem to even care about what I was saying. As I was leaving the examination room, he argued with his assistant that I did not have any fractures or herniated disc right in front of me.Dr. Hanks had then nerve to even refer me to their pain management specialist.To conclude, as you can see by his rating of "4", this doctor is of poor quality. I suggest doing research on what surgeon you will have the opportunity to select. I sincerely regret investigating his ratings prior to setting an appointment with him. Not only was he unprofessional by not reading my cat scan, he spent about 3 minutes with me. He actually agued with his assistant who was a former USAF combat veteran. This doctor is of poor quality and wasted my time. I will be getting a second opinion. I will also be working with the Tri-Care referral management department to have him removed from future referrals for other wounded warriors in the future.Watch yourself with this doctor. What a waste of time!!!

|  show details
Apr 28th, 2011

Dr Hanks is the best. He spends as much time as needed, answers questions and is always available.