Dr. Stephen Holland Is this you?

2.8

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Stephen Holland?

Posted on December 15th, 2014

I was treated for Crohns disease for almost 10 years by another gastroenterologist. I changed doctors only because my other doctor's nurse was very rude to me. I'm glad I went to Dr. Holland. After speaking with me before undergoing any tests, he told me that I don't have Crohns and that I should stop taking the expensive medicine that I had been on for several years. He determined after an examination that I have a redundant colon and told me to take 2 magnesium tablets daily. I've been doing that now for several years, and I'm fine!

Respond to Dr's compliace comment below

Posted on August 1st, 2014

My following up for CT results for 10 days is a compliance problem, how? I followed up with you in the office when directed, but you were unable to be reached for that specific issue when I needed the most care. Sure, I came to you with an already inflamed bowel, but your failure to respond to the inflammations shown in my CT scans surely did not help my escalating problems. Thus, I ended up in the ER, with a phelgmon, and ultimately needed surgery.

Posted on May 30th, 2014

I have seen Dr. Holland for almost ten years and have various medical issues. When I first went to see Dr. Holland, I was quite sick and there was various medical information to read. Dr. Holland took his time and prescribed an appropriate course of action. During my visits, I am aware of the fact that Dr. Holland is taking into account all aspects of my well being. This is seen in his questions and suggestions. Dr. Holland has communicated with me and my other doctors. He is open to my questions and is not condescending.

Posted on July 24th, 2013

I am a 27 year old female with Crohn's disease, diagnosed at the age of 17. My Crohn's disease was pretty well managed until 2012 when I went to see Dr. Holland for a flare up that included severe abdominal pain and diarrhea. I was started on a short course of Prednisone and 100mg of Imuran. i After about 4 months on Imuran I began to feel like my symptoms were worsening. I had severe abdominal pain throughout my entire abdomen and specifically on my right lower quadrant. I went to see Dr Holland for these symptoms. He ordered at CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis and I was told to follow up. After 10 days of trying to get in hold of the doctor for my CT results, his nurse finally called me back to tell me that I had increased inflammation. I asked what to do about this and she said that the doctor would have to call me back. It took 3 days for the doctor to call me. At that time he advised me to increase my Imuran to 150mg and make an appointment to see him the following week. I immediately knew that this was not going to address the inflammation in my intestine, as imuran is not an anti-inflammatory. I decided to get a second opinion at Naperville Gastroenterology with Dr Scott Berger. Dr Berger immediately hospitalized me directly from my first visit with him. The inflammation had created a mass in my intestine and my bowel was close to perforation. I was hospitalized for 5 days on IV steroids and antibiotics, and released on oral steroids and antibiotics. Dr Berger told me that the only way to treat this inflammation would be to have this portion of my intestine surgically removed, as the inflammation and infection had gotten so severe. I am now 7 days post op for a bowel resection, which I believe could have been avoided had my inflammation been addressed properly from the start. With regards to the Imuran, Dr. Holland started me on this medication without checking how my body would metabolize the drug. The high dose that he had me on caused the severe infection in my intestine, second to the inflammation. In all, I feel that he totally neglected my symptoms. I felt that some of the things he missed with regards to my diagnosis were text book medicine. I am thousands of dollars in medical debt (after two hospitalizations, and a bowel resection with a 7 days subsequent hospitalization). His follow up is poor. If I was not so well versed in my disease I feel that my situation could have been more dire. I am extremely lucky that my bowel didn't perforate, requiring emergency surgery. DO NOT go to this doctor. He is a nightmare and his nurse is a huge B.

Doctor's Response

Inflammation is the essence of the disease called Crohn's. Patients need close follow up to review their response to treatment. The patient's flare happened before she saw me. She had not been on treatment, was doing well, but when she flared in 2012 was started on appropriate therapy. Office follow up in needed in these cases, but she only wanted to telephone in. She was not compliant with follow up visits. Regrettably, her lack of follow up allowed her problems to progress further. I have over 9000 patients in this practice. This does not happen with poor follow-up or poor communications.

Dangerous Quack.

Posted on June 7th, 2013

Ask any other Gasto about him first. Their silence will speak volumes.

Doctor's Response

Dr. Holland is well regarded by his colleagues. There are over 9000 patients in this practice. This does not happen with poor communication or follow-up.

AETNA doctor who does not use Aetna lab or surg facility

Posted on November 21st, 2012

I was left reeling after receiving a $25,000 bill from the facilities he chose for lab work and surgery. NO ONE bothered to tell me that the facilities he chose were out of network for my insurance.To add insult to injury, I found out that even though I came in with gallbladder complaint, he never performed an ultrasound on my gallbladder. I had emergency surgery (via emergency room admittance) 2 weeks after my procedure with Dr. Holland. He never even came to the hospital nor called me to check on me after being notified that the emergency room physician performed surgery.Don't choose this doctor.

Doctor's Response

The insurance issue was cleared up after significant work by my staff. The patient has a catastrophic coverage plan that covers 50% of list price. The facility that we use discounted to price to the usual insured price and wrote off the rest, though it took some months to fix. I was never notified that the patient had gallbladder surgery. CT scans and ultrasound do not always show sufficient changes to call for surgery when symptoms are atypical.

Posted on April 17th, 2012

Dr. Holland kept myself and my mother waiting for a day to get a hotdog removed from my throat. He has extremely poor bedside manners and does not seem to have any concern for his patients.

Doctor's Response

A foreign body of the esophagus does not need immediate removal in the early morning if secretions are handled. Waiting for the regular endoscopy staff to come in rather than the less experienced on call staff was needed for safety. There are over 9000 patients in this practice. This does not happen with poor bedside manner and lack of concern for the patients.

Posted on March 7th, 2012

This doctor dismissed our son's severe,continuous abdominal pain as a pulled muscle, telling him to come back in 6 months. Our son is still very ill following surgery for a ruptured appendix 2 months ago .

Doctor's Response

A ruptured appendix is a problem that is acute and does not linger. The ruptured appendix was a new problem.

Posted on February 17th, 2017