Dr. Stephen Holland MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.5

December 15th, 2014
I was treated for Crohns disease for almost 10 years by another gastroenterologist. I changed doctors only because my other doctor's nurse was very rude to me. I'm glad I went to Dr. Holland. After speaking with me before undergoing any tests, he told me that I don't have Crohns and that I should stop taking the expensive medicine that I had been on for several years. He determined after an examination that I have a redundant colon and told me to take 2 magnesium tablets daily. I've been doing that now for several years, and I'm fine!

August 1st, 2014
Respond to Dr's compliace comment below
My following up for CT results for 10 days is a compliance problem, how? I followed up with you in the office when directed, but you were unable to be reached for that specific issue when I needed the most care. Sure, I came to you with an already inflamed bowel, but your failure to respond to the inflammations shown in my CT scans surely did not help my escalating problems. Thus, I ended up in the ER, with a phelgmon, and ultimately needed surgery.

May 30th, 2014
I have seen Dr. Holland for almost ten years and have various medical issues. When I first went to see Dr. Holland, I was quite sick and there was various medical information to read. Dr. Holland took his time and prescribed an appropriate course of action. During my visits, I am aware of the fact that Dr. Holland is taking into account all aspects of my well being. This is seen in his questions and suggestions. Dr. Holland has communicated with me and my other doctors. He is open to my questions and is not condescending.

July 24th, 2013
I am a 27 year old female with Crohn's disease, diagnosed at the age of 17. My Crohn's disease was pretty well managed until 2012 when I went to see Dr. Holland for a flare up that included severe abdominal pain and diarrhea. I was started on a short course of Prednisone and 100mg of Imuran. i After about 4 months on Imuran I began to feel like my symptoms were worsening. I had severe abdominal pain throughout my entire abdomen and specifically on my right lower quadrant. I went to see Dr Holland for these symptoms. He ordered at CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis and I was told to follow up. After 10 days of trying to get in hold of the doctor for my CT results, his nurse finally called me back to tell me that I had increased inflammation. I asked what to do about this and she said that the doctor would have to call me back. It took 3 days for the doctor to call me. At that time he advised me to increase my Imuran to 150mg and make an appointment to see him the following week. I immediately knew that this was not going to address the inflammation in my intestine, as imuran is not an anti-inflammatory. I decided to get a second opinion at Naperville Gastroenterology with Dr Scott Berger. Dr Berger immediately hospitalized me directly from my first visit with him. The inflammation had created a mass in my intestine and my bowel was close to perforation. I was hospitalized for 5 days on IV steroids and antibiotics, and released on oral steroids and antibiotics. Dr Berger told me that the only way to treat this inflammation would be to have this portion of my intestine surgically removed, as the inflammation and infection had gotten so severe. I am now 7 days post op for a bowel resection, which I believe could have been avoided had my inflammation been addressed properly from the start. With regards to the Imuran, Dr. Holland started me on this medication without checking how my body would metabolize the drug. The high dose that he had me on caused the severe infection in my intestine, second to the inflammation. In all, I feel that he totally neglected my symptoms. I felt that some of the things he missed with regards to my diagnosis were text book medicine. I am thousands of dollars in medical debt (after two hospitalizations, and a bowel resection with a 7 days subsequent hospitalization). His follow up is poor. If I was not so well versed in my disease I feel that my situation could have been more dire. I am extremely lucky that my bowel didn't perforate, requiring emergency surgery. DO NOT go to this doctor. He is a nightmare and his nurse is a huge B.

June 7th, 2013
Dangerous Quack.
Ask any other Gasto about him first. Their silence will speak volumes.

November 21st, 2012
AETNA doctor who does not use Aetna lab or surg facility
I was left reeling after receiving a $25,000 bill from the facilities he chose for lab work and surgery. NO ONE bothered to tell me that the facilities he chose were out of network for my insurance.To add insult to injury, I found out that even though I came in with gallbladder complaint, he never performed an ultrasound on my gallbladder. I had emergency surgery (via emergency room admittance) 2 weeks after my procedure with Dr. Holland. He never even came to the hospital nor called me to check on me after being notified that the emergency room physician performed surgery.Don't choose this doctor.

April 17th, 2012
Dr. Holland kept myself and my mother waiting for a day to get a hotdog removed from my throat. He has extremely poor bedside manners and does not seem to have any concern for his patients.

March 6th, 2012
This doctor dismissed our son's severe,continuous abdominal pain as a pulled muscle, telling him to come back in 6 months. Our son is still very ill following surgery for a ruptured appendix 2 months ago.