Dr. Stephen Houston MD Patient Reviews

• Neurological Surgery Seattle, WA

September 15th, 2016
Outstanding Human Being as well as top physician in his field
Went directly to the problem and solved it. Thank you and your staff.

May 3rd, 2016
Across the board poor patient/customer service from the front desk to the doctor.

January 14th, 2016
Office staff
The office staff is terrible. I had to schedule a surgry and they said they would get back to me within the day. I waited two days and called back. They said they were waiting on the insurance to go through. I waited another two days and called back they said they were still waiting. I finally called my insurance to ask what was happening and they said they had never even gotten the request from them. I called the hospital back and explained the insurance had never even gotten the request. They got mad that I had called and that I was calling them out on there lies. But they finally sent it in. The surgry was scheduled another two days later. They called me later that day and said I would need blood work and what hospital to send it to. I gave them the fax number and a hospital and they said they would do it that day. I called my local hospital the next day asking to get the blood work done and they had said they received nothing from them. I called the surgry center agian and the lady was beyond rude she said they mailed it. And I asked if it was possible to fax it because I was getting the surgry within 2 days and there was a Holiday the next day so there was no way the hospital would recive it in time. They asked for the number said they would do it. I asked about what time should I expect this to happen so I can go in and get the blood work done. The lady at the office started yelling and me and saying she didn't have time for me and she had other patients waiting. I said I was sorry and just was wondering a estimated time frame. she said my full name and said she can't help me and to wait for a phone call and there was no time left in this conversation and she couldn't tell me when they would send them, and than hung up on me. The doctors are amazing but the front desk lady's are horrible and the worst service I have had for such a serious surgry.

November 6th, 2015
Dr. Houston is Highly Recommended
My first opportunity to work with Dr. Houston was in 2001. My family physician at that time referred him to me. I was apprehensive about seeing a neurosurgeon, with worries of what could be wrong, spine surgery, etc. Dr. Houston made me feel at ease, was friendly, courteous, informative. He listened to my concerns and took the time to explain in terms I would understand. The day after surgery, Dr. Houston checked on me and explained how the surgery went. He even helped me get to the bathroom when I could not get help from a nurse. His diagnosis was spot on and I was up and walking that day with no lower back or leg pain. Surgery was a success. Back problems surfaced again in 2014. Even though I had move from the Seattle area I chose to see Dr. Houston. Again his diagnosis was accurate and the surgery was a success. People I speak with about my back surgeries are amazed that both surgeries were successful. I feel very fortunate that they were. I’m more than satisfied with the outcome of both surgeries. I would recommend Dr. Houston in a heartbeat.

October 30th, 2015
Best back Doctor ever!! Had back surgery on my L5-S1 in 2004 very successful.. I just had surgery on my back L4 ( 2015 ) very happy with the results! I would highly recommend Dr. Houston to anybody that needed back surgery!!

July 17th, 2015
Ms.
He is the worst doctor ever. Get's you hooked by telling you how much you need the operation. The fusion completely failed (cost $150,000). Then he wouldn't see me or talk me, only said we're going to have a problem when I said something feels wrong. I went to Dr. Bellabarba who said Houston put it in wrong. I had to have it all redone.

April 24th, 2013
Dr. Houston and his team were outstanding. We were so impressed with his team of doctors, nurses, and staff. I felt such confidence having him perform my surgery.

August 26th, 2012
Excellent
A superb physician and surgeon. Excellent diagnostician, skilled surgeon, amicable, with a wonderful bedside manner. I am a medical school professor--I could not ask for more

August 25th, 2011
Two surgeries later
I have had two lower back surgeries within three months from Dr. Stephen Huston. On my first surgery I experienced un-controllable pain. The bedside manor of the hospital staff was horrible. I pushed the nurse button and would wait a minim of twenty minutes for a nurse or any staff to come in. My pain meds were not given to me on timed bases I would always have to ask, so therefore the pain was uncontrollable. Three weeks after my first surgery I again was in uncontrollable pain again. I called Dr Stephen Hustons office and was referred out for a MRI. I again had the same problem on the same disk that was fixed, and needed another surgery. I went in for my second surgery and told the Hospital staff and Dr about my issues the last time I had surgery and the procedure went much better. The hospital staff was in checking on me like it should have been in the beginning. My pain level was controlled much better.I went in for my two week post-op visit to Dr Stephan Huston and all he did was look at me. He did not examine my back in any way. I told him I was still having a lot of back pain and a lot of pain shooting down my leg. His response was that I was exactly where he expected me to be. He gave me a prescription for methocarbomal and oxicodone and sent me on my way; my next appointment is not for another six weeks. My next dealing with the office of Dr Stephen Huston was when my pain meds were running out three weeks post-op I called in for a refill on the pain med on Monday and did not receive it until Friday. I called the office and asked numerous times if my refill was ready and their response to me was the Doctor is busy. The office staff is very rude. When you call his office you do not get thanked for calling all you get is Neurological surgical Consultants. When I got my pain meds refilled he had dropped the dosage dramatically and none of the staff or Dr Stephan Huston told me anything about it. I tried taking the dosage that he had prescribed and was in horrible pain over the weekend. On Monday when I called the Doctors office and told them they said they would tell the Doctor. I received a call back that same day to tell me they wrote a new prescription. I was then told they were referring me out to pain management. I asked them who the Doctor was that they were recommending they gave me the names of three Doctors. I looked up the Doctors they recommended and saw that they had numerous complaints. I called Dr Stephan Hustons office and told them that I was waiting on the names of some other Doctors that did pain management due to the fact that who they recommended had numerous complaints and would call them when got the name of the Doctor I preferred to go to.I received a call back in a minute from the office saying the Doctor wanted to talk to me. The Doctor came on the phone and said that he refused to write me any more pain med refills, mind you I never asked for any. Dr Stephen Huston was very rude when he talked to me; I have had two surgeries, mind you the same two surgeries within two months, and a car accident the day I left his office with the refill. I told him that it was not that I was not refusing to go to pain management just that I preferred to go to a Doctor of my choice. Dr Stephen Huston told me when I brought up the car accident to I stop changing the subject. I had to go with no pain meds or see who he referred due to the fact that I had not found a Pain Management Doctor yet. I am currently at four weeks post-op.Every time you go into the office the staff is rude. If this is the care you will receive when going to Dr Stephen Huston I leave the decision up to you.

November 3rd, 2009
Sub dural Hematoma
Dr. Houston did an excellent job I have recovered completely.

September 12th, 2009
He helped me stop hurting
I saw Dr. Houston for nearly a year as he tried to help me find non-surgical ways to help with my ruptured disk. He was never condescending, and was sympathetic to the concerns I had about various treatments he proposed. Eventually, we did settle on surgery, and I recovered to the point I could work again in DAYS, and fully within a couple of weeks. I have had no problems since then!