Dr. Stephen James DO Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Athens, GA

3.8

March 31st, 2017
Dr. James saved me from being wheel chair bound
He performed a disk replacement. The surgery saved my life. Dr. James is the best back surgeon in Georgia. I can not say enough about how great he is. You can trust Dr. James to do what he says he can do. No B.S.

March 31st, 2017
Thank you Dr. James for giving me the freedom to enjoy my life after doing a bone graft in my neck. I could barely move around or sleep. Dr. James is also One of the most personable Doctor's in the business. He is a solid surgeon who gets results. He is the only Back surgeon I would ever use if at all possible. In
This is the Doctor to use if you need serious help with your back. He is the best in Georgia when it comes to Corrective back surgery.

January 23rd, 2017
Amazing doctor.

December 4th, 2016
Dr.James and his staff took great care of my back pain.

November 29th, 2016
I had several visits with Dr. James. He has helped me with my back issues and I would recommend him. He has also performed lumbar surgery on my friends mother and she is doing better as well. He is very nice and pleasant to talk to and explains everything in plain english.

August 31st, 2016
Back Surgery
Dr. James basically saved my life! I was suffering from Cauda Equine syndrome (saddleseat numbness), and he knew exactly what was going on! He was my surgeon and was able to give me my life back. I would must definitely refer him to everyone I know!

February 15th, 2016
Dr. James did a great job on my lower back and i was able to walk out of Hospital with no pain after a Four hours at Hospital.

January 21st, 2016
Boched Surgery(ies)
I had a golfball-sized cyst removed from between L4/L5. Approximately 2 weeks after the surgery to remove it, I developed a large blister-type "bulge" the side of an egg at the surgery cite. Dr. James said that I had developed a CSF leak. It kept getting bigger and I ended up being put on total bed rest for an entire week, while also having to wear a back brace; had to lay flat on my back for an entire week; meanwhile, I was missing more and more work. Dr. James kept saying that it would dissolve. After the week of laying on my back, I went back to work (at this point, I was 4 weeks post-surgery and had missed that much time from work). The second day I was back at work, I was sitting in my office just after lunch one day and noticed that my back started to feel wet. The pain was immediate and my head hit my desk and I started screaming in pain. Long story short--I was back in surgery a couple of hours later. The leak had ruptured and had to be repaired. So, I thought okay, this is over--finally... I was again out of work for approximately 3 weeks. I knew that I still had a lot of pain from the surgery cite but my first clue that I had yet another problem was when my husband told me how red and swollen it looked. It so happened that I had a routine appointment with my rheumatologist and was telling him about all I had gone through and he asked to see the surgery cite. He immediately took out his cell phone and called Resurgens and asked to speak with Dr. James. Long-story short again: I had developed a serious infection at the surgery cite and before the end of that day, I underwent my third (2nd emergency...) surgery to clean out the mess! Dr. James was always nice to me personally (when I DID get to see him, which was rare as patients normally see the PA). Now, had it not been for his PA at the time (Kate), I'm not sure I would have even started the process with him. I had however heard nothing but good reviews of him prior to my surgery and truly believe that I was in "good hands." I wish Dr. James no ill will but I do believe that his neglect caused me to have 2 additional surgeries that could have been avoided had he been more careful during the initial procedure. Subsequently, I now have just as much pain and issues in my lumbar area as I was having before any of this even started. Of course, much of that now is attributable to all the scar tissue that occurs when you have 3 surgeries within a 3-month period of time. I was glad to hear that Dr. James had lost his Northside Hospital privileges as I would not want anyone else to have to endure all that I went through.

November 6th, 2015
Cervical fusion with plate
Dr. James is the best! I used him in 2006 until currently. He did a great job on my cervical disectomy with fusion and a plate at c5-c7. Absolutely pain free for nearly 10 years. I was only 36. I was in a lot pain and could not hold my head up with 2 ruptured discs and a reverse curve and numbness in both arms to my elbows. He has always been very straight forward with his explanations and care. The Resurgens practice today is awful. I am not sure where Dr. James is practicing right now but it's not there! I am considering finding him or another one man practice that really takes time with the patient. Spine surgery is life altering and not to be taken lightly. Dr. Kristen Willett is also top notch for What she does. I believe she does radio frequency lessioning and maybe other procedures. I recommend her too, awesome kind, smart lady! RF worked for low back bulging disc pain.

November 3rd, 2015
Jerri
I had my lower spine turn to powder 12 yrs ago have been doing great due to dr James surgery. Now I had to have my spine cleaned up he did and does a wonderful job. I need to know where he went ? I tell EVERYONE about him ! Love him he's one fantastic surgeon. Thanks to you dr James !!!!!

October 27th, 2015
Dr. James is a very good Doctor I had a hangman break he did a good job operating on me, will use him again when he opens his new office.

September 18th, 2015
A five+ star rating
Can't say enough positive things about Dr. Steven B James and the surgery done on my spine. The entire experience was fabulous; especially the outcome. My range of motion is vastly improve and their is no more pain. Dr. James' chosen surgical procedure, skills, and follow-up were perfect.