Dr. Stephen Kottmeier MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

June 26th, 2017
Exellent surgeon & PA
Can't disagree more with the previous reviews. Jennifer, Corinne, and Dr. Kottmeier were all phenomenal

December 26th, 2016
Horrible! Never go to Stony Brook Orthopedics
If you want a surgery done by incompetent students instead of a Dr. See Kottmeier..who also has the bedside manner of a wet sponge. Arrogant, nasty and sloppy..will not care if you have pain afterwards..will say its your fault. Or you can see his inept PA Corrine who carries unsterilized tweezers in her pocket to take out stitches.Go elsewhere! And you will be waiting over 2 hours in the waiting room

December 8th, 2016
I THANKK THIS DOCTOR EVERYDAY.HE SAVED MY LEG FROM AMPUTATIOM. THIS WAS 2 1/2 YEARS AGO. I HAVE 5 PLATES AND 12 SCREWS IN MY LEFT LOWER LEG. I CAN WALK AND THIS SEVERELY DAMAGED LEG IS STABILE. WITH S REAL PROBLEM LIKE I HAD WHO CARES HOW LONG THE WAIT TIMR IS. THIS DR. CAN DO THINGS THAT OTHERS CANT. HE IS A GREAT MD

November 22nd, 2016
Exactly what all Dr's should be, personable, knowledgeable and thorough. A credit to the profession and to his practice!

October 19th, 2016
His mistake caused me years of pain and disability. As of this point I am in a wheel chair and his firm would not even see me after 2 months after being released from the Hospital- He first sent me to a Nursing Home which I promptly left because he said I could not have any physical therapy performed and I was in a brace that was not designed for my injury

September 10th, 2016
When is a mistake malprace and when is it not malpractice
Dr. Kottmeier dodged a bullet recently by a jury who did not convict him on malpractice. It was anyone's guess what would happen, but the facts are a patient broke his ankle and the doctor did not treat the actual break and now the patient cannot walk properly. Dr. Kottmeier make it his living to tell those around he writes the tests for his Orthopedic association. What he has not told the patient is why he acted like God and decided to NOT treat the underlying multiple breaks which has ultimately caused the patient to be left unable to walk. It actually does not matter whether he won or lost the Malpractice suite. What is important is he lied to me as the patient who is now left in a wheelchair.

October 5th, 2015
Go to a NYC hospital
Pompous, arrogant, and screwed up my leg! Beware!

September 26th, 2015
Love this doc. He is great? Saved my life.

June 26th, 2015
Simply put if you want the best you have to make some concessions, you might have to wait a little while but you get A1 care from a genius in his field. The staff is great too. He's very caring and at the top of his game. I've been using him for about 20 years. I have no reason to make stories up, the only stories are the succesfull expirences I've encountered through office visits and surgies.

May 14th, 2014
Simply The Very Best!
There are very few doctors as phenomenal as Dr. Kottmeier. His knowledge and skill are extraordinary. His kindness, compassion, caring, concern, and follow through are amazing. Though it is sometimes hard to get an appointment, he is definitely worth the wait. His skill as a surgeon is exceptional, and he has an outstanding reputation among other doctors. I would rather wait to have him operate on me, he is that special. In addition, his assistant Jennifer, his nurse Corrine are so unique in their level of knowledge, caring, patience, compassion and accommodation. They strive and succeed to provide the patient with anything and everything they need for their particular situation for recovery as well as rehabilitation. Denise, the nurse, is so sweet, cooperative, and smart. If you call the front desk for an appointment, if you have an extreme problem, they try very hard to accommodate you. For orthopedic trauma that is above the elbow, Dr. Kottmeier is simply the best!!!

March 25th, 2014
Exceptional, Extraordinary, and Empathetic
Dr. Kottmeier is a phenomenal physician! He is very knowledgeable, a very skilled surgeon, and a kind and caring doctor. If you need to wait to see him, it is well worth any wait. He takes a great deal of time with you, will not do any unnecessary testing or procedures, and is just incredible. I had a problem that was very unusual. He researched it and much to the amazement of other doctors involved, was certain of the problem and knew he could fix it. My problem and my pain I had endured, was completely gone the day of the surgery. Another doctor was prepared to do unnecessary surgeries on my spine, and other doctors doubted the cause Dr. Kottmeier identified, And thankfully resolved. He is humble and truly wonderful! I have referred other patients to him, who have been quite happy, as well. He is a doctors' doctor, and very well respected among his peers. If not for Dr. Kottmeier, and a rheumatologist who has since retired, Dr. Kaell, I would not be walking today. Gd bless him!

February 13th, 2014
Review from a nurse and former patient
From a horrific accident into Dr Kottmeier's hands, literally. In 2006 I was struck by a car while riding my motorcycle home sustaining several fractures to my left leg, one of them compund (through the skin). Taken by way of medivac due to the severity of the wound, there was no pedal pulse to the left leg meaning no circulation to that area. In most other hospitals, my leg would have been amputated as it would have been the easiest route for the MD, not necassarily the patient. Dr Kottmeier, thank God, is NOT like "most" doctors. Through many surgeries, infections, treatments, and an external fixator worn for over a year, his perseverance paid off. It was a painful road back, emotionally and physically, and at times very taxing for us both. I was not the easiest patient to work with as I was very angry about what had happened to me, at times lashing out at those trying to help me. Professional till the end, Dr Kottmeier and his staff, including his NP Corrine and nurse Diane, saw me through a very hard time with compassion and diligence. A little over a year after first meeting Dr. Kottmeier, the fixator finally came off with a lot of battle scars but in one piece, and most important of all 100% functional! You would'nt know what happened to me from the outside appearance as I walk perfectly fine, but on the inside I have completely transformed. After all I had been through, I decided to help others and have since become a nurse working at Stony Brook as well. He healed me physically, but emotionally too, more than I think he knows. I thought the least I could do was tell others what I know of his abilities and wound up here. If you are looking for an orthopedic surgeon and you have come across Dr Kottmeier, your search is ended and you can thank the angels that guided you to him. He is the BEST at what he does, kind, compassionate, incredibly skilled magnificent doctor.