Family Practitioner, Sports Medicine Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

|  show details
Aug 15th, 2014

On Novemb9th 2013 I was in a very bad car accident was brought to stony brook hospital..had multiple fractures lacerations. My hip was shattered and dislocated,my pelvis was fractured,both wrists my knee completely open and my head was torn open,Dr kottmeier was My surgeon for my pelvis,hip and ankle..This Dr saved me I was in bad shape.he would come in and explain to me eeverything he was going to do...he always came into see me after my surgeries.. I owe my life to this man...he is the best at what he does.

|  DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WASTING YOUR TIME OR MONEY  |  show details
Jul 31st, 2014

Worst experience ever. Even trying to make an appoinment was difficult. Staff was rude, and we were made to wait 3 1/2 hours for a 5 minute audience with his higness . From the first moment you go to SBO, be prepared to pay through the nose for everything & then some. This is a well oiled money making machine, poised to squeeze every dollar it can from each so called patient. You are made to feel more like a carnival mark, than a patient. First they flat out refused to disclose the costs of consultations; they play games like saying "we charge a deposit." As soon as you are herded into a room, you begin your long long wait. Various players pop in & insist you need additional expensive radiology , so they can tack on a few extra thousand to your bill. Times this by every patient that walks thru the door & that really adds up. If you happen to show up with your own xrays, they will insist you need more, or lose them. There are so many underlings roaming around, it was like watching the keystone cops. Subsequently we were told a diagnosis wasn't possible & that exploratory surgery was the only way to get a diagnosis. When asked the cost of the surgery , no one knew and when the office manager was asked, she refused to respond. Our insurance is limited, I felt we had a right to ask costs. Messages were left, no return call. Apparently , asking how much they charge is a big no no. No follow up was ever done. They only want patients with really good insurance who don't ask questions about what Sbo actually charges. For example, We were told prior to the visit , a shot, if needed was $30 . Yet they billed us an additional $455 for the 30 seconds it took to stick the needle in. Apparently the $250 dollar deposit only covers the 1st five minutes you get with dr.diety. Hmmm. Let's do the math. We were made to wait over 3 hours. Shall I send them a bill for OUR time? We were charged $250 for his 5 minutes, that's $3000/hour. If his time is so very valuable, why isn't the same respect given to the time his patients are forced to wait? If you want to be treated like garbage, are ok waitting for hours on end, taken for every dollar you & your insurance company has to offer, by all means, call them . I personally found the entire operation offensive & run with very little compassion. & did I mention we were no closer to a diagnosis after seeing him? Does he really think he'll be allowed to slice & dice for an undisclosed amount to come up with a diagnosis? No thank you. Sbo is everything that's wrong with health care in my humble opinion. On a side note, later that day , after the appoinment, I found myself again waiting on line in a nearby store. The man behind me commented, " I can't believe I have to wait in this long line. I gave up waiting after going to Stoney Brook orthapedics. " I looked at him & said " you too?!" Do yourself a favor and find a practicioner who cares more about your health, than your cash. Do not bother with the well oiled money grab -Stoney Brook Orthopedics. It was a very disgusting experience. They are only interested in how much money they can get from you. Healing doesn't even enter into the conversation, it is simply and glaringly not their priority. I'd of given zero stars had that been an option.

|  Simply The Very Best!  |  show details
by Marjorie on May 14th, 2014

There are very few doctors as phenomenal as Dr. Kottmeier. His knowledge and skill are extraordinary. His kindness, compassion, caring, concern, and follow through are amazing. Though it is sometimes hard to get an appointment, he is definitely worth the wait. His skill as a surgeon is exceptional, and he has an outstanding reputation among other doctors. I would rather wait to have him operate on me, he is that special. In addition, his assistant Jennifer, his nurse Corrine are so unique in their level of knowledge, caring, patience, compassion and accommodation. They strive and succeed to provide the patient with anything and everything they need for their particular situation for recovery as well as rehabilitation. Denise, the nurse, is so sweet, cooperative, and smart. If you call the front desk for an appointment, if you have an extreme problem, they try very hard to accommodate you. For orthopedic trauma that is above the elbow, Dr. Kottmeier is simply the best!!!

|  Exceptional, Extraordinary, and Empathetic  |  show details
by Marjorie on Mar 25th, 2014

Dr. Kottmeier is a phenomenal physician! He is very knowledgeable, a very skilled surgeon, and a kind and caring doctor. If you need to wait to see him, it is well worth any wait. He takes a great deal of time with you, will not do any unnecessary testing or procedures, and is just incredible. I had a problem that was very unusual. He researched it and much to the amazement of other doctors involved, was certain of the problem and knew he could fix it. My problem and my pain I had endured, was completely gone the day of the surgery. Another doctor was prepared to do unnecessary surgeries on my spine, and other doctors doubted the cause Dr. Kottmeier identified, And thankfully resolved. He is humble and truly wonderful! I have referred other patients to him, who have been quite happy, as well. He is a doctors' doctor, and very well respected among his peers. If not for Dr. Kottmeier, and a rheumatologist who has since retired, Dr. Kaell, I would not be walking today. Gd bless him!

|  Review from a nurse and former patient  |  show details
by Jade Maslosky on Feb 13th, 2014

From a horrific accident into Dr Kottmeier's hands, literally. In 2006 I was struck by a car while riding my motorcycle home sustaining several fractures to my left leg, one of them compund (through the skin). Taken by way of medivac due to the severity of the wound, there was no pedal pulse to the left leg meaning no circulation to that area. In most other hospitals, my leg would have been amputated as it would have been the easiest route for the MD, not necassarily the patient. Dr Kottmeier, thank God, is NOT like "most" doctors. Through many surgeries, infections, treatments, and an external fixator worn for over a year, his perseverance paid off. It was a painful road back, emotionally and physically, and at times very taxing for us both. I was not the easiest patient to work with as I was very angry about what had happened to me, at times lashing out at those trying to help me. Professional till the end, Dr Kottmeier and his staff, including his NP Corrine and nurse Diane, saw me through a very hard time with compassion and diligence. A little over a year after first meeting Dr. Kottmeier, the fixator finally came off with a lot of battle scars but in one piece, and most important of all 100% functional! You would'nt know what happened to me from the outside appearance as I walk perfectly fine, but on the inside I have completely transformed. After all I had been through, I decided to help others and have since become a nurse working at Stony Brook as well. He healed me physically, but emotionally too, more than I think he knows. I thought the least I could do was tell others what I know of his abilities and wound up here. If you are looking for an orthopedic surgeon and you have come across Dr Kottmeier, your search is ended and you can thank the angels that guided you to him. He is the BEST at what he does, kind, compassionate, incredibly skilled magnificent doctor.

|  Christmas 2012  |  show details
Jan 16th, 2014

Great Surgeon who lacks bedside manner. My adult child was taken by ambulance to Stony Brook Hospital on Christmas Eve, with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. Since a portion of the fracture was open we were told by the residents and attending ortho that they called in the best, Dr Kottmeir. He preformed surgery putting a rod and screws in her leg. Never saw him after surgery, just received a phone call that all went OK. Follow up wait time was terrible, never less than 1 1/2 hours, only to have x-ray tech take picture and then go into recasting room for new cast. Would only see him for 5 minutes, just long enough to say come back in a month

|  great mind but needs better bedside manner  |  show details
by jane on Apr 23rd, 2013

HE IS A VERY SMART MAN AND A GREAT DOCTOR IN THE O.R. HOWEVER, HE LACKS BEDSIDE MANNER. HIS OFFICE WAIT TIME IS OVER AN HOUR AND YOUR LUCKY IF YOU SEE HIM FOR 5 MINUTES. I FEEL HE COULD WORK HARDER TO ACCOMADATE THE NEEDS OF PATIENTS AND FAMILY SUCH AS LETTING A FAMILY MEMBER KNOW HOW A SURGERY WENT (I HAVE HAD 5 OPERATIONS WITH HIM AND EACH TIME MY FAMILY NOR I SEE HIM AFTER THE PROCEDURE IS OVER). EVEN THE OTHER NURSES AND DOCTORS SAY THAT HE ONLY WANTS TO BE OPERATING AND EVERYTHING ELSE LESS IMPORTANT.

|  Expert Orthopaedic Trauma Care  |  show details
by Happy Family Member on Feb 6th, 2013

My mom had a open tibia fracture treated at a community hospital. It went on to not heal, and the treating doctor blew off my moms pain saying everything was ok. The leg was crooked. Dr Kottmeier agreed to take on this very difficult case. He did not promise us success but he did an "exchange rod" and a screw and a 4 hour surgery. My mom went on to heal completely, her leg is straight and she has no pain. At the time my mom was 65. Kudos Dr K.!

|  show details
Aug 3rd, 2012

My daughter was getting out of an automobile on May 30, 2012 when she was struck by a car sending her into the back window of her own car,than on to the roof and into the street. My daughter was airlifted and taken to Stonybrook Hospital where Dr. Kottmeier, had to perform surgery at 2am to safe my daughters leg. My daughter is 27yrs old, and has had several surgeries performed by Dr. Kottmeier. The first night he spent almost 7-8 hours in the OR, the next morning he spent atleast another 4-5 hours. I am so greatful for having had him as my daughters surgeon. He was totally exhausted and I could see it in his face. However, this man did everything possible and spend multiple hours in the OR on multiple surgeries. All I can say is I am totally thankful that god brought him into care for my daughter. Some physician do not have the best bedside manner, and even if he didn't what he did for my daughter overrides anything else in my heart and mind...If I haven't told you Dr. Kottmeier... I WANT TO THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, AND ARE CONTINUING TO DO FOR MY DAUGHTER DANIELLE..