inactive

Stephen R Kovac MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

July 10th, 2016
Linda Marco RN., Creve Coeur/St. Louis, Mo.
I am a patient of Dr. Kovac from St. Louis, Mo. ,. I had been one of his infertile patients, and i remember when Dr. Kovac reached out his hand to me to assist me to sit up after examining me and said "Congratulations", I nearly fell off the table I was soooo excited!!!! Approximately eight months later he delivered my beautiful most precious baby girl "Jenna Michele Marco" . That was 39 yrs. ago August 6th, 1977. To this day I remember Dr. Kovac with great fondness in my heart! I will never ever forget him! And every year on Dec. 17th, I thank God for the "gift" of Dr. Kovac., because this is the day of "his" birthday!! 😄💝

July 11th, 2012
I was very please
Dr. Kovac did a pelvic reconstruction surgery on me in 2010. I have been very pleased with the outcome. He is all business, but that is what I wanted.. not an average doctor that had a great bedside manner.

September 6th, 2011
Thank you Dr. Kovac!
I had such a great experience with Dr. Kovac. He completed a total vaginal hysterectomy and my uterus was over 1000 grams. I thought for sure he would not be successful and that I would end up needing an abdominal hysterectomy, but he did it! My surgery was 1 week ago and I feel great!!! Dr. Kovac is retiring and that is sad for the many future patients that need his expertise! Hope they are able to find someone as good as Dr. Kovac!

June 14th, 2011
Worst medical experience in my life.
I, too, only saw a fellow prior to my first surgery w/ Kovac. He then talked to me a few minutes + scheduled surgery for two prolapse problems. Unknowingly, he repaired only one, albeit the worst prob.My condition brought about a great comfort for a time until the other problem reared its' ugly head. I felt bad thinking I would be one of the first women to ruin his self proclaimed exc record. But no, he then told me he never fixed my second problem and it had now "caused a third" problem. We sched another surgery. At my pre-op appt., the fellow drew a sketch of the pending two surg's.I would be having. The anes. asked me on surg. day what I was having done that day. I told them the two surg. repairs. When Kovac saw me prior to surg., I asked him to promise he wd fx both probs. He promised HE WOULD. Surg was completed and while uncomfortable, I was happy it was finally completed. Or was it? I started to feel different "dn there". I checked and felt my insides were collapsing. I saw him + he said all was fine. I asked him if he was sure. He said "I hv no reason to tell you anything but the truth". I then saw another dr. He told me the truth. Kovac had shortened my vagina by one-half!!!!! And, he ONLY fixed one of my problems! The hospital said it was my fault for signing the consent form!!! That I didn"t truly understand what he was to do! (I am a former nurse and, in my file, there should be a "fellow" drawing about what he was to do.) Do you get the picture about why should run, not walk away from this man?

April 7th, 2011
Horrible experience! Dr. Kovac placed a bladder sling using mesh and pelvis bone screws which he siad was one of the most successful procedure for stress incontinence. I developed problems immediately and had to practically argue with him that something was wrong. After 9 months of pain, misery and his poor bedside manner I switched Drs-----world of difference and complete fix!

October 9th, 2010
bladder sling
My experince was an 8 month nightmare. Thinking Dr. Kovac was highly regarded in his field since he was a professor at Emory I trusted him when he recommended I have a bladder sling with pelvic bone screws to treat my stress incontinence...a procedure which he told me he invented and had the highest success rate.I had complecations from the begining with constant pain,discharge, bloody drainage. With each f/u appoint I was told "give it time" "just relax, it will get better" On three separate officve visits I had undisolved sutures remaoved and was told that was the cause of my problem. Whe the symptoms worsened I was told it was due to rejection of the mesh sling used and it woudl have to be removed. So I was admitted again to have that removed....still no improvement. He laughed at me when I told him I still had the same symptoms!I went to another doctor who immediately knew what was wrong; treated the infection, removed the remaining sutures and the pelvic screws, instructed me to take it easy for several weeks and now I am fine!! After 8 months of torture with SDr. Kovac. How scary is it to think he is training new doctors????

September 10th, 2010
Feeling devalued
I am a female army veteran.Had grade 3 cystocele/rectocele that required repair.VA hospital in Decatur insufficiently staffed & paid Dr.Kovac to diagnose,do surgical repair and follow-up.I am now 6 days post-op.I cry every time I think about the treatment this doctor provided me.As I was waiting to be admitted to Emory,I saw Dr.Kovac walking the hallway as I was waiting to use the restroom.So prior to me going into the actual OR,he informed his assistant that he had already "seen" me.After my surgery,I woke up in the recovery room in the most excruciating pain I've ever felt,only to be informed that Dr.Kovac had ordered a "pill" for me.I've worked in hospitals for over 30 yrs.Most people throw up anything given by mouth so soon after surgery.I had to plead to get an order for pain control.I never saw Dr.Kovac the day of my surgery.I don't know if he performed the procedure or if the janitor did it.I've had dentist that pulled my teeth and gave me more attention afterwards. This man is the most arrogant human being I've ever met.WARNING...WARNING...stay away if you have an option.

June 28th, 2010
I would never recommend this doctor to anyone!!
I was excited about my visit at first. I was ready to resolve my problem and rid of the pain I was going through for years. My visit whith Dr. Kovac was the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life! If this was my first visit ever to see a doctor, I would never want to see another doctor, ever! I can't say anything good about my visit. I left his office in tears and nothing was accomplished. He made me feel dumb, he insulted the doctor who performed my first myomectomy, and did not give me but one option and not other alternatives regarding my fibroids. He clearly saw that I was upset and did not acknowledge that I wasn't comfortable about my experience. I felt as if he just wanted to get me out of his office and on to the next patient. I thought I was going to be scheduled for an ultrasound before given any options. He gave me one option; a hysterectomy. I think I would have felt better if an ultrasound was done first and then given the option of a hysterectomy. This doctor clearly doesn't care about the patient. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of visiting him. As for myself, I have gone to other doctors and found one that has clearly shown me that he cares about his patient and not just his knowledge.

June 28th, 2010
Not a doctor I would recommend to anyone!!!!
To put it short, I left his office in tears and did not come back for my follow up. I found another doctor who is concerned about his patients and their ailments.

February 9th, 2009
Dr. Kovac is very personal and professional. I have seen him for the past 5 years and actually look forward to our visits. He is sensible in his diagnoses and very up to date in the knowledge of his procedures. I have recommended my mother and my daughters. I also value his opinions and recommendations of other Dr.s.