Dr. Stephen Lurie MD, PHD Patient Reviews

3.8

• Good
  • Bad

July 7th, 2017
Thank you for allowing me to share this. I had an easy time of it making the appointment and I went to the meeting with modest expectations - maybe even good ones given that Dr Lurie has advanced credentials in both medicine and psychology. I wasn't sure if he was the best fit for me but I was open minded about this encounter. As soon as he entered the room, I had the feeling that something was amiss. He struggled to make eye contact with me, opened with the awkward words "how can I help you?" which puzzled me, and deliberately evaded any questions that would allow me to get a better feel for him as a potential match for me. He repeatedly redirected the conversation to me in a manner I found unnerving. And he seemed anxious. Very, very anxious - maybe even a little depressed. After about 10 minutes I knew we were probably not a good match so I invited an open conversation about billing for this appt since I experienced something unexpected about this in the practice in the past. I have since learned that UR medicine bills all first visits for adults as "establishing care" - a service that runs anywhere from $120 to $400 depending on the "complexity" of the case. This expense comes from a combo of "insurance" and out of pocket payment depending on a number of factors. So I could be looking at a bill of approximately $200 to $300 for this "MD visit." In order to get this information I needed to press people other than the doctor. He made the usual excuses to evade the subject by talking about the insurance companies and billing offices, with extra comments about his right to be paid for an appointment that he could have used to see someone else. I am happy to see the practice in place and wish them well as they grow and develop. I wish this man well too. But I am concerned for him, and I would be concerned for anyone who chooses to see him for medical care, if what I witnessed in my appointment is his baseline self presenting. He remains true to the info he gave about his approach to medicine on his internet bio, which is good in my opinion - but I must say, the man in the photo seems much more self assured and composed than the one I met in his office. I will pray for him, but I will not be seeing him again.

June 4th, 2015
I experienced Dr. Lurie as very flat interpersonally, and found it difficult to discuss the issue for which I came. He seemed well-intentioned, but his suggestions weren't attuned to my particular situation, and I left feeling sad that I had taken time away from my office and family for something that made me feel exposed but not understood. I will definitely wait a few months to see my own physician next time.

May 10th, 2017